American Toad issue - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Amphibian Discussion Forum

Notices

Amphibian Discussion Forum General talk about amphibians of any type.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #1
Antnee26
American Toad issue

I have had two wild caught American Toads since May. They were small when I got them and they have been eating well and seem to be to be pretty healthy...until two weeks ago. I went away for a few days to see one very fat and spread out, not moving very much, occasionally flipping on its back, but getting right back over on its own. It has been burrowing down here and there dissapearing for a day or two at a time, but then getting out and moving around fairly well here and there.

Well today it is on its back fully and I noticed this discoloration towards its anus, I took a video and some pictures any help would be appreciated, I have read different things but nothing seems to be exactly the same as what I see.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #2
Antnee26

Old 09-17-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Antnee26
Even now on his back he seems to be breathing normal and trying to maybe push something out of his inflamed anus.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #4
Antnee26
There is supposed tp be a video but in case it doesn't show here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1iq3HsJpOg

Old 09-23-2010, 02:18 PM   #5
Antnee26
I am sure most that viewed this no how this ended, it passed on in relatively the same position during the night.

Still if anyone has any idea about the cause it would be good to know since I still have another in the same tank, thankfully not showing any signs of illness yet.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:29 PM   #6
porkchop48
From my experience frogs / toads with Chytrid will shows the symptoms that your toad was showing.

The stress of being taken from the wild will weaken the immune system which makes them unable to live with the chytrid.

OR

have you been dusting any of its food? With what and how often?

Old 09-24-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Antnee26
After doing more reading on chytrid I feel you may be right.

I have been dusting crickets with Calcium and D3....this is food and has been for the remaining american toad, a green frog and a typical green anole. All of these guys seem to be fine.

I will be cleaning up the tank of some of the small decaying plant pieces that may be around.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
porkchop48
Just out of curiosity why the need to clean up the small decaying plant pieces?

Old 09-24-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
Antnee26
I just read this:

"Most chytrids are saprobes meaning that they feed on dead and rotting organic matter."

So I thought about some small pieces of some succulent plants that have fallen off that might be food.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:27 PM   #10
porkchop48
Chytrid lives on the frog and it's surroundings. Treating the frogs is the only way to get rid of it. Cleaning up the bits of plants is not going to help the actualy frogs that are left

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!