Creating a rack system... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
SilverBlaze
Exclamation Creating a rack system...

I picked these Sterlite tub stands up at our local Wolley world for $4 each so I couldn't resist. I've never used something like this for a rack system so I'm trying to figure out how I would put the heat tape on the tubs.
Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Old 11-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #2
pgwdragons
You could possibly run it from the sides...say start on the left side, then run it straight across... drop down the right side.. the run it across over to the left.. and so on and so on...
Maybe that would work?
Ive always wanted to be able to use those also, just for the simple fact that they are cheap and already together lmfao!
Im not that great of a construction guy, so Im always looking for easy ways out!! Let me know if that works out for you in any way.. Im really needing some kind of rack for my leos.. and for my inverts!
Good luck!!

Old 11-12-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
SilverBlaze
What kind of heat tape do you use? I was told to use 6 watt heat tape then I was told by someone else to use 15 watt.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:15 PM   #4
pgwdragons
I currently dont use any heat tape, because I havent built any actual racks yet, just pads.. BUT... I would use just the standard flexwatt heat tape.. and use a thermostat on it to maintain it where I would want it. I think that the standard 11" flexwatt is 20 watts worth.. I THINK.. that is...but w/ a good therm you wont have problems either way!

Old 11-12-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
JordanAng420
Back heat and side heat isn't really that effective for thermoregulation in geckos, that is if you're talking leopards and fat-tails. They generally do much better with heat that comes from below.

Maybe you could run the tape along that middle piece of plastic and possibly part of the rear piece (in the last picture, the pieces that form the upside down "T") and place the hides directly over that? That way, they could stay in the middle for warmth or run off to the sides of the bins if they get too hot.

I'm not sure what else you could do, but it would be great if you could use those! make sure you drill some air holes in each bin also, obviously near the top so they can't escape.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:05 PM   #6
pgwdragons
Quote:
Back heat and side heat isn't really that effective for thermoregulation in geckos, that is if you're talking leopards and fat-tails. They generally do much better with heat that comes from below.

Maybe you could run the tape along that middle piece of plastic and possibly part of the rear piece (in the last picture, the pieces that form the upside down "T") and place the hides directly over that? That way, they could stay in the middle for warmth or run off to the sides of the bins if they get too hot.

I'm not sure what else you could do, but it would be great if you could use those! make sure you drill some air holes in each bin also, obviously near the top so they can't escape.
Thats exactly what I was talking about doing, running the heat tape across the bottom, and then running it down the side to slide underneath the next section... I didnt mean run the heat tape just on the sides... I probably should have worded that better! Lol. Anyhow, thanks for helping clear that up!

Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 PM   #7
JordanAng420
Aha, I gotcha! Sorry Eric, I misunderstood ya!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!