Guyana Boa DROOLING hours after regurge - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-19-2011, 02:31 AM   #1
sheKRACKaKILLya
Guyana Boa DROOLING hours after regurge

My guyana boa ate a rat a little too big for her about month ago, I fed her again maybe two weeks later with a rat more suited to her size. I tried feeding her yesterday and she didn't seem interested. Today she regurgitated. I'm guessing from the size it could have been both rats, but it's hard to tell. I'm not going to try and feed her for another two weeks. A few hours after regurging today, she started drooling what looked like water. I've heard her a little wheezy/squeaky. I' concerned about a respiratory infection. I'd like to hear some responces before I bring her to the vet, which I might do tomorrow.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
crotalusadamanteus
How long between the rat that was too big, and the more correct sized one elapsed? How long ago was the correct size offered?

If a month has passed, and the first larger rat wasn't absolutely fully digested my now, then your Boa isn't digesting properly. I'd look into temps, and also possible impaction.

When was the last defecation? Was it a solid turd, or just urates?

Also, BCC don't do as well with larger meals then other Boa. Something to keep in mind there. And NO Boa needs a rat every 2 weeks without fail. If you feed one a larger meal then you should have, then you give them more time to digest it.

Regarding the watery drool. Is it possible it just got a drink of water? Was maybe thirsty after the stress of regurgitation, or trying to sooth it's gut, and a little bit came back up?

Old 03-19-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
brd7666
I don't know how big the snake is, but if it's small, you might want to feed it mice. Mice seem to be easier to digest. I would feed small meals 10 to 14 days with a Guyana, and you need to look at your temps. If you have the cage to cold, you will have some problems. BCC stress out whenever they are fed to big of a meal, or to often, especially when they are young. From your description, it sounds like your cage is to cold. If your snake has an RI, it depends on how serious it is. I would get the snake warmed up for sure, and if it's bad then you need to take it to the vet.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
sheKRACKaKILLya
Thanks for the replies. I forgot I posted this thread and ended up taking her to the vet. I'm waiting a little while before I try feeding my boa again, and when I do it will be a much smaller meal. As for the RI, the vet said she might have a minor infection and gave me antibiotics to be on the safe side. I am monitoring her temps better now.

As for the antibiotics, they are injections. The vet demonstrated to me how to administer them but I'm not very comfortable with it. Today I tried giving her the first dose and only ended up giving half because I noticed a bump under her skin on the injection site. I fear I did it wrong. If anyone has any advice on injections, please let me know. I'll probably look up some videos or call the vet back..

Old 03-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
crotalusadamanteus
What did she give you to inject, and what were her instructions? SubQ or intramuscular?

Old 03-21-2011, 08:18 PM   #6
sheKRACKaKILLya
An antibiotic called Baytril. Her instructions were to inject to the side of the spine with needle pointing toward her head. The only mistake I made on this first injection was not drawing back. Her next injection is on Wednesday, so I'll have to read up before then.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:35 PM   #7
crotalusadamanteus
She was lacking a bit in her instructions if that's all the instruction she gave you. She didn't tell you to make sure it all gets into the muscle? She didn't tell you to make sure you do it in the upper portion of the body away from the kidneys and liver?

If you don't get it all into the muscle, you risk what we call Baytril burns around the injection site. When you are going to inject into the muscle, put your hand on the snakes back and put your thumb/finger directly over the spine, and inject on the outside of the thumb/finger. You should be doing this in the upper 1/3 of the body, and you should be angling the needle about 45° point towards the head. Push needle in all the way, (hopefully she didn't give you a 2" needle) you should feel resistance twice. Once to get through the dermis, the other when you hit the muscle tissue. Once you depress the plunger and got all the meds in, DO NOT PRESS PLUNGER anymore, and withdraw the needle. This makes sure you don't squirt some under the skin.

Hope that helps.
Rick

Old 03-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
sheKRACKaKILLya
She did tell me to inject into the upper 1/3 of the body, and the needle isn't very long. Thank you for the clearer directions, I'll be referencing this when I go to give her next injection.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:45 PM   #9
crotalusadamanteus
Applying pressure with your finger/thumb when you inject also helps take away some of the sensation from inserting the needle. I find I get less reaction from them when I do this.

Also, get you some of this stuff while you're waiting for the next feeding...

http://www.reptileuv.com/nutribac-df...r-reptiles.php

Assuming you feed F/T, just warm the rat in warm water, and sprinkle this stuff all over the rat before offering it. It's micro organisms that will help replenish her gut flora, and corrects numerous intestinal problems.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:56 PM   #10
sheKRACKaKILLya
Great! Thanks for the advice. I'm sure she'll be fine after her next feeding.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!