BTs: Winter or Spring Breeders?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 AM   #1
Lloyd Heilbrunn
BTs: Winter or Spring Breeders??

I have a female which I would like to breed this year but my male is a yearling. I was thinking of looking around for a breeding loan this or next month for pairing in November, assuming they were winter breeders like Easterns.

But I just noticed the caresheet at Indigosnakes.com suggests cooling two months starting in November,which in my mind makes them spring breeders.

So which is correct? And when should I start asking around??

Thanks in advance.

Old 09-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #2
epidemic
Seasons

Hello, Lloyd,

The Central and South American members of the Dry clan do not encounter the same climatic seasonal changes experienced by their "Yankee" cousins, as they experience virtually no significant temperature drops. Some people have indicated the lack of photo period changes as well, but I believe the overcast conditions present during the rain season, which coincides with the mating season of Drys within this range, provides for such.
I start heavily misting all of my cribos during the latter weeks of July and start pairing them in August and continue doing so through mid October, leaving the pairs together for the duration of this time period, with the exception of feeding, though most of my males show little interest in feeding during this time period. So far, this method has worked well for me over the years.
If you need a breeder male D. m erebennus, just let me know, as I have a few nice ones and I would be happy to loan you one..

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 09-23-2006, 12:33 AM   #3
Lloyd Heilbrunn
Sounds like I am starting late then.

Did you misspeak and mean that you have a male Black Tail rather than a Texas? If so, I accept!!

I'll start misting her tomorrow,and reducing the photoperiod a bit,and we can make the Delta arrangments asap.

Thanks much.

Old 09-24-2006, 09:59 AM   #4
thesnakeman
I bred my unicolors in Sept. last year. And she gave me 20 eggs, if that helps.
T.

Old 09-24-2006, 11:56 AM   #5
epidemic
Soory about that, Lloyd,

I had D. m erebennus on the brain, as I just recieved another pair of them. Yes, I have a few male D. m melanurus breeders and I would be happy to loan you one. Shoot me an e-mail and we can iron out the details.
Also, I should have mentioned, the mating season for South American Drys appears to span August - October and possibly into November.
You might note, many of the WC D. corais come into the US in November and many of the females are obviously gravid and close to oviposition...

Look forward to hearing from you,

Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!