Terri Sommella Fire and Ice Dragons -- Nightmare - Page 18 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-16-2005, 12:10 AM   #171
lawndart
This thread is falling back so I will add my update with Terri from Fire and Ice.
I have gotten her to send me written agreement to extend their return guarantee for me. I have yet to ship the dragon back due to the weather we are having this week but my intention is to ship it next week. Terri has agreed to take her back and all I did was notify her I was not pleased with the way things were working out. I don’t know why Jonathan had so much difficulty with Terri. I have, however, always found that dealing in business; calm, cool and collective is the way to go. I’m not saying Jonathan or his partner were not cool headed in dealing with Terri I was not there but I have been cool and collective with her and she has responded favorably. It sucks that all of that happened and it sucks that the dragons have to be put in the middle of this. It will even suck more if she tries a pull a fast one on me. I promise that I will keep posting to this thread until I’m finished with this transaction with Terri. I feel that you all deserve to hear the end of this story as well. I have heard some choice words regarding Terri and her business practices both here and in the Herp community. I must tell you that my opinion lies in the way she deals with me. Selfish, maybe! Everyone who reads this thread will make their own decision.

Old 01-16-2005, 10:40 AM   #172
mikey
In my opinion, the reason she is being civil with you is because of this thread. She had been busted and now must step up to the plate and be a responsible breeder and do the right thing..ie, take care of her customers, without yelling, threatning behavior..and pull the $$ off her eyeballs and see the big picture of what she is doing. Greed will get you nowhere, Terri..just bad press.

Old 01-16-2005, 01:14 PM   #173
lawndart
Jean,

I think you could have a point if Terri had responded to this thread. She has not made a public appearence here, however, and according to the reply others have received from her regarding this post she is not interested in even looking at the thread. I can't explain her actions. If she has been reading this I hope she does honor her policies ofr ma and everyone who chooses to do business with her.

I'm

Old 01-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #174
mikey
Believe me, She is following this thread...

Old 01-16-2005, 02:14 PM   #175
lawndart
Jean,
You sound pretty confident in that statement! What makes you so sure? Have you been talking with her? Do you have information you are not shaing with the rest of us? Are you HER?

Old 01-16-2005, 02:26 PM   #176
mikey
Pleaseeeee, I would not want to be her right now..She is very aware of this thread, and like anyone, she wants to know what people are saying, I hope..She has an income dependant business to maintain. So, either directly or indirectly she is reading what is being said,i'm sure...If not, I hope people are telling her she is running her business right into the ground by her actions.I dealt with Terri last year,and got a funny feeling I was gonna get screwed and backed out..I can sent you those e-mail if you doubt me, Lawndart..

Old 01-16-2005, 08:00 PM   #177
Gemma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawndart
Jean,
You sound pretty confident in that statement! What makes you so sure? Have you been talking with her? Do you have information you are not shaing with the rest of us? Are you HER?
Since this thread began a number of people emailed Terri with the link to this thread, and got a response. So she's definitely aware of its existence, and I personally do believe that she's read the majority of it.

I also agree that she's most likely treating you so reasonably because this thread did a lot of harm to her reputation. Many people were convinced not to buy from her after reading this, and other breeders expressed disappointment and publicly stated that they would never do business with her from this point on.

A smart woman would take all this to heart and start treating customers correctly.

Old 01-21-2005, 12:33 AM   #178
4TheLuvOfBeardies
Exclamation Just found this link!!

There are so many replies to this post, I can't even imagine going through them all. I myself have had bought a dragon from Terri back in Oct. 2004. A holdback/female, part of her citrus line.

I talked with Terri on several occasions prior to purchasing a dragon from her. She was very informative. I had researched beardies for approx. 3 months prior to buying one so, I knew what care is involved. She also would not send a pic of the dragon. She said she had to think about what dragon would be right for me, and took her several phone calls to make up her mind. MY FIRST MISTAKE!
With out a doubt her care sheet does state to start off at temps between 100-105.

Anyways, my story begins. After talking to Terri she ensured me we would be in close contact for the first 2 weeks after recieving my dragon. I paid the $450.00 plus shipping and recieved her in fair condition. She was extremely cold, but nice in color. I called Terri after recieving her, as per her request, and only got the answering machine. She never returned any of my phone calls, and havn't heard from her to date. It took her a couple of days to start eating. When I weighed her she was only 40 gms and 7 1/2 inches long (full length). When I looked at the info sheet she sent me, her hatch date was in July! So this dragon was already 3 months old, which was my SECOND MISTAKE. I should have known better.
I started having problems after the first week with her not eating right. She would eat good one day, but not the next. This continued for a couple of weeks, so I did take her to see the best certified exotic vet in my area, with a fresh fecal. Come to find out she had a high count of coccidia along with worms. The count was so high that the vet had no choice but to put her on Albon and another for the worms. So, to this date I have been on 14 hour days trying to cure her. Most of you no the deal with this, cleaning and disinfecting her tank 3x's a day, rinsing her every time she has a BM, supplimenting her with baby food and Pedia. We have tried every thing, from 10 gall tanks to plastic tanks, from bleaching to steaming and disinfecting with Nolvasan, keeping her in a quiet, stress free area, bleaching, rinsing and baking her smooth basking log. I am at a loss and have spent close to $1,000 tryng to save this dragon. I love her so much. She likes to snuggle up at night under my neck and go to sleep and when she hears my voice will immediately look my way, till I talk or sing to her. May be she does not like my voice. LOL. About a week ago, we took her off the Albon and I put her on Parazap, tea form, which she can not stand the taste of. I am not a believer in this product, so we will see. Her basking temps have always been at 103-110. Cool side at 80-85. I keep my house at 75 degrees at night. I use mercury vapor lamps. She has always been caged alone. I keep up on her suppliments of herptivite, Rep-cal with vit D, and Absolute Calcium. With constant supplimenting I have her at 13 1/2 inches and 127gms at 6 months. I thought about letting nature take it's course, but I don't have the heart to up and let her die. ANY ADVISE OUT THERE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

All in all I have to say, "never ever buy a $500 dragon with out seeing it in person and a vet check should be included with the guarantee". We all can sit here and blame Terri, but it was our own stupidity to have faith in any one who will not send you a pic or post there beardies pics on-line. To expect a top of the line dragon is just to much from some breeders. It's all about the money and is a very unloving person to send out a sick dragon. I'm sure there are some people that did get healthy dragons, and you should be very thankful you did.

Signed,

Down and out and looking for a magic cure or even a miracle would be nice.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:04 PM   #179
CheriS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheLuvOfBeardies
A holdback
They all are sold as that

It's not unusual for young dragons do go through cycles of coccidia and pinworms, its how they build their immune system. They do increase with stress especially if they experience drastic changes. When that happens, they overwhelm the animals system. That is one thing that we as breeders can help avoid and where I think Terri falls down badly (if in fact she is the one raising these babies, I have my doubts there).

If Terri learns nothing else from this thread, I hope she learns that she needs to change the way she (or whoever) is raising these before shipping and to stop punishing the new owners and the babies for her lack of preparing them for those changes. Many times causing the babies their life and the owners heartbreak and more expenses.

There is a reason that some breeder run into few adjustment problems with their babies in new homes and some run into a lot of them.... its in how they are raised those first few months, the contact they have with humans and knowing that change is not something to fear which causes them to stress so badly.

You have to care about these, and let them know that humans are a source of good things, they need a lot of people contact and exposure to the type of setups they will be moving into when sold. I have raised many differenet species and never had another one that was like beardies in needing this... it is one of the things that is making them the most popular of the lizards species in the US now... they learn to enjoy and seek human contact.

When they have had little handling, and no viewing contact with humans, then move to a new home in an open enclouse with people who want contact with them, they are freaking out and go downhill... that is not the new owners fault! That starts a cycle that is hard to get over with them, once they are adjusted to the new home, they are ill with parasitic overload, which harms their immune system, then they need meds that also effect other things in them... it can become a nightmare cycle.

Maria
Parazap is not going to clear the coccidia if it is that bad, can you tell me what dosing the dragon is on and the treatment times? The most effective for bearded dragons is Klingenberg's method of 3 days on albon and then every other day for 2 weeks, along with the cleaning with nolvasan, hot water and acidolphiliz+ during treatment... with your dragon being on treatment prior, it is high resistant now, but it can be cleared.. it just is going to take time for the dragon to restore his immune system and gut fauna AND lots of hydration to avoid kidney damage.

Sadly for you and the dragon, Terri is big on marketing till the sale is completed and than seems to fall down with the follow through, besides not having her babies adjusted to change/people. If you want to email me, I will work with you to get this dragon back on the right tract and up to her full potential. It's not something you have done or did not do, its the baby was not prepared and we can help her with that even now.

Old 01-21-2005, 01:42 PM   #180
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheriS
They all are sold as that

It's not unusual for young dragons do go through cycles of coccidia and pinworms, its how they build their immune system. They do increase with stress especially if they experience drastic changes. When that happens, they overwhelm the animals system. That is one thing that we as breeders can help avoid and where I think Terri falls down badly (if in fact she is the one raising these babies, I have my doubts there).

There is a reason that some breeder run into few adjustment problems with their babies in new homes and some run into a lot of them.... its in how they are raised those first few months, the contact they have with humans and knowing that change is not something to fear which causes them to stress so badly.

You have to care about these, and let them know that humans are a source of good things, they need a lot of people contact and exposure to the type of setups they will be moving into when sold. I have raised many differenet species and never had another one that was like beardies in needing this... it is one of the things that is making them the most popular of the lizards species in the US now... they learn to enjoy and seek human contact.

When they have had little handling, and no viewing contact with humans, then move to a new home in an open enclouse with people who want contact with them, they are freaking out and go downhill... that is not the new owners fault! That starts a cycle that is hard to get over with them, once they are adjusted to the new home, they are ill with parasitic overload, which harms their immune system, then they need meds that also effect other things in them... it can become a nightmare cycle.
These statements have intrigued me. I think this is why my pair of dragons are so stressed. Could you suggest anything to aid in this???

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!