Circumstances of Snakebite Envenomation - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Herps In The News

Notices

Herps In The News Local or national articles where reptiles or amphibians have made it into the news media. Please cite sources.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-11-2024, 10:49 PM   #3
Martin Nowak
I would use the word "surmise" and agree with your statements. Almost assuredly all non-native envenomations occurred solely to snake keepers of such species. The news media would be all over such a bite from an escaped animal and the same said for a visitor to a reptile keepers snake room. I am unaware of any such sensational news articles. I did a cursory review of the North American Snakebite Registry and did not readily see indication of a study related to non-native envenomations that might provide facts concerning the victim's status related to the offending animal. Still, I think you are correct and surmise your statements are correct.

Three most frequently cited reasons by G&F, journalists and politicians to prohibit captive venomous reptiles are:
1. dangers of escaped animals
2. health care costs of treating envenomations
3. reptiles do not provide revenue to G&F (in most cases - and yes, some states require collecting license, or captive ownership license - but the states don't get a share of the industry revenue)
States allowing captive venomous reptiles seem to have more enlightened and higher IQ regulating authorities.

It would be illuminating to have an economic impact study of snake shows on local economies. I suspect they produce remarkable income for local municipalities during the few days they are active.