Heavy parasite load found in ball python from Ed Clark - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 AM   #11
cookreptiles
ed has been contacted about the situation via a pm here on 9-15-07:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookreptiles
hi ed,

remember the group of female ball pythons that you sent me last year in trade for a group of cresteds? one of them passed a mass of tapeworms yesterday so i took her to the vet today. a fecal found tapeworms, strongiloides and a high number of coccidia.

the girls all eat great but none of them have really gained much weight, which makes sense now. i have had fecals done on a few of my other snakes in the recent past, which all came out clear. my other snakes are also all growing normally, so i am almost 100% certain that the only snakes that have internal parasites are the ones i received from you. i will be having fecals done on all of my snakes over the next few weeks in order to confirm this.

i wanted to let you know this so you can take the necessary measures to test and treat your collection, especially since coccidia is fairly serious. i feel that this is something that others with snakes that came from you should know, so that they can test and treat their snakes as well. i hope that you will take the initiative to issue a public alert, however, should you choose not to do so, i will post a warning so that people can take the appropriate action.

thanks,
emily cook
ed's reply:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECLARK
Emily, thanks for the message. dont remember if the Balls that I sent you were captive bred or captive hatched. will look into it to find out and get back to you.
my reply:
Quote:
hi ed,

you had said that they were cb from your collection and that you were letting a bunch of your younger females go to make space for new morphs.

thanks for looking into it,
emily

i will scan the vet report tomorrow and post it here.

i did not buy imports. i traded for captive bred snakes.

i do realize that it has been some time since i received these snakes, however, in that amount of time, with no exposure to parasites since being in my care, how would this snake suddenly get tapeworms, strongyloides and a heavy infestation of coccidia?

i am not asking for any compensation from ed. i am only posting this as a warning to others who have purchased from him so that they can take the proper care to get their own snakes tested and treated as necessary.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:30 AM   #12
KelliH
Quote:
i am not asking for any compensation from ed. i am only posting this as a warning to others who have purchased from him so that they can take the proper care to get their own snakes tested and treated as necessary.
I can understand and respect that. But think about something for a minute. Reverse the situation, and let's say that someone bought some geckos from you and 10 months later they contacted you to tell you the geckos had _____ (coccidia, crypto, hookworms, whatever). Then that person posted the information on here, on the BOI, for all the reptile hobby to read, that you "might" have parasitic or disease ridden geckos. Surely you would be upset if the tables were turned...

Old 09-18-2007, 12:37 AM   #13
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelliH
I can understand and respect that. But think about something for a minute. Reverse the situation, and let's say that someone bought some geckos from you and 10 months later they contacted you to tell you the geckos had _____ (coccidia, crypto, hookworms, whatever). Then that person posted the information on here, on the BOI, for all the reptile hobby to read, that you "might" have parasitic or disease ridden geckos. Surely you would be upset if the tables were turned...
It's not about feelings Kelli.

It's about honest representation.

Coccidia, strongyles and tapeworms are VERY common in imported ball pythons. I don't know of any captive produced animals having them that were not exposed to wild animals or their feces.

IF mr. clark misrepresented these animals, then that needs to be brought to light. After all, mr. clark has sold many many ball pythons in the last few years and if he has sold wild caught as captive bred then some folks who have high end morphs need to get some fecals done.

Maybe it was just a mistake. Maybe it was greed. We already know his loyalty can be purchased and that he will post his animals in someone elses ad, that he's not real strong on genetics and is a liar.

While I have no personal good feelings for mr. clark, this is, as I said, NOT about feelings but about the truth. I know he knows what it is, I've seen him both use and abuse it.

What's the scoop mr. clark?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:38 AM   #14
monkeywrench133
Quote:
On November 1, 2006 I received a group of 2005 female ball pythons from Ed Clark in trade for some crested geckos.
Just out of curiosity, have you had any of the other animals you got from Ed examined? Or any of your animals besides this particular female?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:39 AM   #15
brucestephenson
Quote:
On November 1, 2006 I received a group of 2005 female ball pythons from Ed Clark in trade for some crested geckos. Ed told me that they were captive bred and assured me that "all [his] stuff is as clean as you will find" and, as he was in good standing with the reptile community at the time, I took his word for it.

Last Thursday one of these females passed something in a bit of runny stool that I had never seen before (see photo below). I took the snake and the suspect tapeworm to the vet Friday morning. The vet ran a fecal sample and confirmed tapeworms along with strongyloides and a high number of coccidia.

The snakes in question are 2005 females that eat very well, yet haven't put on much weight since I have had them. They have not been in direct contact with any of the other snakes in my collection, nor do they share prey items. I have had fecals done on several other snakes recently, all of which were clean. The only snakes that I have added to my collection since acquiring these girls are 2 cbb ball pythons that I got in Daytona several weeks ago; these snakes are currently in quarantine.

This is proof enough for me that the snakes I received from Ed were infested with parasites at the time I received them. I should have been wise enough to run fecals on them immediately even though, at the time, I trusted the source.

The point of my post is not to start drama or debate, but to inform those who have also purchased from Ed Clark that their snakes may also be carrying a heavy parasite load. Regardless of the source, always get a fecal done for the sake of your animals!

I purchased a group of ball pythons from Ed around the same time as you did. Mine are in perfect health and are the pride of my collection. Ed Clark is a fantastic seller. I would buy from him again anytime.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:43 AM   #16
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucestephenson
I purchased a group of ball pythons from Ed around the same time as you did. Mine are in perfect health and are the pride of my collection. Ed Clark is a fantastic seller. I would buy from him again anytime.
Not a surprise at all. mr. clark is one of the VERY few you've managed to purchase, er purchase from, that will still back ANYTHING you say.

I am glad your pieds are doing well.

I wonder who will buy FROM you though?

Old 09-18-2007, 12:48 AM   #17
brucestephenson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
Not a surprise at all. mr. clark is one of the VERY few you've managed to purchase, er purchase from, that will still back ANYTHING you say.

I am glad your pieds are doing well.

I wonder who will buy FROM you though?
It should be known that Wes Pollock has a long history of stalking Ed Clark and myself and others on these forums. In my opinion, Wes is a psychopath whose babblings should be ignored by rational persons.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 AM   #18
KelliH
Yes, I agree it is not about feelings. I just cannot see that Ed is to blame when the animals have been out of his hands for nearly a year. I have no doubt that Emily has a high degree of ethics and that she takes extremely good care of her animals, but I just can't see how it is the fault of Ed this many months later. Maybe I am not seeing it clearly but for the moment, that is how I see it.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:53 AM   #19
Mooing Tricycle
Quote:
It should be known that Wes Pollock has a long history of stalking Ed Clark and myself and others on these forums. In my opinion, Wes is a psychopath whose babblings should be ignored by rational persons.

AHAHAHAhahahahAHAHAhAhaHAHA!!!

Keep it on topic there.....

Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 AM   #20
monkeywrench133
Quote:
Wes is a psychopath whose babblings should be ignored by rational persons.

Yeah, as yours should as well. Now go away Jedi-boy.

This thread is about Emily and Ed and some tapeworms.

Not you and Wes.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!