Reptster.com experience with show sponsorship not good - Page 8 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:09 AM   #71
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Reptiles
So far I only see party B,s side of this.would like to hear the other side.
And that is supposed to explain why you think this does not belong on the BOI? I really dont follow your logic.

I would like to hear the other side myself. I have been a big supporter of Reptster from the very beginning. I even have a banner of theirs on my site to show my support. David never mentioned to me to put a banner on my site, I did it for free because I believed in what David was doing and for helping the little breeder save a buck or two. So yeah, I am very interested in hearing the other side.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #72
shrap
Quote:
Kelly, I started my show in a different way.You will learn alot about people in the reptile show business. Sorry you did not care for my comments,you were asking for opinions early in this thread.I got slammed and insulted for those ,oh well that is the way it goes.
Do you ever get tired of playing the helpless victim? You come out of left field with things that are so grossly transparent and you honestly wonder why people call you out on the BS.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:26 AM   #73
Cat_72
Quote:
Thanks Joel,this is the reptile business if I ran to the B.O.I everytime someone failed to buy or send a check I would live here.
Terry, you're just not getting it. It simply isn't the same thing as someone just not sending a check for an animal that they said they were going to buy, but never came through. Let me try to simplify for you....

Say you told me that you would pay me $500 to clean your snake racks. I begin cleaning them. In the meantime, you decide that $500 was too much to pay for cleaning racks, but don't bother to say anything. I finish cleaning your racks, and contact you to ask for my payment. You say that you've been busy, but you will send it ASAP (even though you know you aren't going to send it, because you've decided that's too high of a fee, even though that's what we agreed upon, and I have done the work requested)....and never contact me again.

Is that fair? How is that different from Kelly providing a service, and not getting the agreed upon payment?

As I said before, I was waiting to hear David's side of the story as well.....but it's starting to look a little bit not-so-good that he can come here and read, and not even bother to reply.

Even a "I will be addressing this issue tomorrow when I have more time" or SOMETHING at least acknowledging that the issue needs to be taken care of would be better than ignoring it.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:28 AM   #74
BezilsGirl
For all you "contract" people- I thought this might help (from Wikipedia)

A contract is an exchange of promises between two or more parties to do or refrain from doing an act which is enforceable in a court of law.
Almost everyone enters into contracts every day. Sometimes written contracts are required, such as when buying a house.
However, most contracts can be and are made orally, like buying a law textbook, or purchasing coffee at a shop. The most important feature of a contract is that one party makes an offer for an arrangement that another accepts. This can be called a concurrence of wills' or 'ad idem' (meeting of the minds) of two or more parties. There must be evidence that the parties had each from an objective perspective engaged in conduct manifesting their assent, and a contract will be formed when the parties have met such a requirement.

Since they both agreed on the price, and the advertising- there was a "meeting of the minds" and thus, a contract was in place. While not written up by a lawyer, these correspondences, and any verbal communication do constitute a contract, enforceable in court.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:50 AM   #75
LakesideBoas
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideBoas
I find it ironic that in this age of almost instant communication people still have trouble....communicating
com·mu·ni·cate/kəˈmyunɪˌkeɪt/kuh-myoo-ni-keyt]
verb, -cat·ed, -cat·ing.

–verb (used with object) 1.to impart knowledge of; make known: to communicate information; to communicate one's happiness. 2.to give to another; impart; transmit: to communicate a disease. 3.to administer the Eucharist to. 4.Archaic. to share in or partake of.

David,

Why are you having such a problem with this???

If this is a shining example of how your run your business (YES, this IS a business transaction) then perhaps the savings and convenience aren't worth the hassle should one need to get ahold of you.

I can show you with a mirror one customer who is getting itchy feet to beat the opposite direction from you before even utilising your service. I find that sad.

Old 09-18-2008, 07:31 AM   #76
Kingetula
I have a new name for Reptster.com

RIPster.com (Rip you off) and after I saw the RIP part all I could think of was Rest in Peace because I'll probably not use it now.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:04 AM   #77
kmurphy
Just a reminder to some of the new posters. Your full name is required in the BOI. Not just your first name.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:22 AM   #78
hhmoore
Kevin - part of what you are seeing is due to the update...it seems that the names are no longer part of the profile information on the left, so many people became anonymous overnight (literally)

Old 09-18-2008, 08:29 AM   #79
GECKO DUDE
Ok first off i put my name in my sig.

Second. Like said most contracts dont have to be written most aren't. And i would have to say the emails are just as binding. Even though it never has an email agreeing to the 750 dollars. But he sends an email knowing very well that he owes money. I really dont think 750 dollars is all that bad. With that 750 they are going to run his booth, advertise and help pay for part of the show cuz guess what that is what sponsors do. Pay for part of the show or whatever else they are sponsoring.

Old 09-18-2008, 08:39 AM   #80
GottaLuvHerps
Wow, maybe it is because it is so early, but I am shocked (in a good way) at the support you guys are giving. Thanks so much. Like all of you, we are STILL waiting on David to respond, but he has not at this time.

One thing I want to put out there, whether I need to or not, is that I see many people saying they are thinking about NOT using his service because of this issue. One thing I do NOT do is play the 3rd grade games of "if you like him you can't be my friend" sort of mentality. The savings with his services are pretty good, and, as my friend Gina said to me in an email over this, that is tough to pass up in today's economy where shipping is making business tough for us breeders. I just want it known that I am in no way asking anyone to boycott his services, and will have no grudges towards anyone that does make the decision to continue to use his services. I am not sure WHY I feel the need to say that, but I just do.

I do have a few things to address directly, and one problem with me right now is I am fighting the flu, have been up most of the night with my sick and fussy baby, so I am not cheery. I ask for forgiveness for anything that sounds rude, but this morning, it's time for blunt, and there is a big difference between rude and blunt. I get tired of sugar coating things sometimes myself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Reptiles View Post
Kelly, I started my show in a different way.You will learn alot about people in the reptile show business. Sorry you did not care for my comments,you were asking for opinions early in this thread.I got slammed and insulted for those ,oh well that is the way it goes.
Terry, I am not sure how you started your show, but I can only assume that you took over another established show in some fashion. Well, that is a completely different story than starting from scratch, making phone calls to everywhere possible to find a venue (state laws, county laws, township or borough laws all come into play where we are, as well as space, and even finding somewhere that will allow feeder rodents and such was a BLAST, let me tell you!), having to go out and recruit vendors in every way possible (phone calls, emails, taking 6 hours at one show alone to talk to just about EVERY SINGLE VENDOR at Hamburg with the permission of the show promoter there, more phone calls, more emails, back to the shows to talk to vendors, let's not forget building the website and doing all the forum postings I have done, talking to all kinds of advertising people from about every form of advertising, taking phone calls and answering emails day and night at all hours from vendors, customers, and just about anyone you can imagine, plotting out floor plans and figuring out how to make a generally good family show), figuring out where the money is coming from to even DO the show once we found out how much this dream really was going to cost us (I am lucky enough to be a stay at home mom to 5 children, but my husband is not rich), and then the promotion of the show. Then how about finding out that the original venue was not going to work after ONE SHOW for several reasons, and having to find a whole new venue in a matter of 3 or 4 days just so you can continue going forward with this dream? Have you been there? Can you even imagine being there? Well that is where we are, and to say, as a show promoter, that Mr. Young had the right to change his mind after an agreement was made is preposterous. How about if your vendors "change their mind" after setting up at your shows and suddenly feel the table prices are so high. But they don't tell you until the end of the day after making a good bit of money? How we run our shows may be different, but the fact is, we should be working together as show promoters to have good shows, and supporting each other when things go bad - I am not your competition, I am a fellow business person trying to do something the right way. And as far as learning a lot about people in the show business, you have NO idea the things I have learned, but you are right, not everyone has the same mindset that I do on how things should be, and that is fine. I guess I just thought that show promoters would at LEAST support each other when things go bad like this, no matter if they agree on the price or not. Actually, you are the only other show promoter I have talked to that has defended him in this situation, and I have talked to many of the area promoters that my show would almost be direct competition to. I find that interesting, but maybe that is just me.

Joel, this is to respond to your post. I am not sure how the new quoting thing works, so I can't physically quote you. But I hope your bathroom looks nice for you. Glad you got that worked out.
You say that I got uptight in my last response to you. I was not uptight, I was simply stating how I see things, just as you have done - apparently our styles are different and things can be read out of context. I am not even uptight this morning, I am tired and cranky and really sick, big difference. I have no issue with someone disagreeing with me, it happens all the time (I have 5 children), but I guess my issue comes from the fact that you are defending Mr. Young because nothing was in writing "officially" outside of emails. Yes, as Chuck stated, he AGREED he owed the money. The email he sent was after an email to him stating the facts as I saw them, spelling out EVERYTHING we had spoken about, as well as the attachment with the emails that you all saw posted. SO even up until 9/3, he was agreeing to the sponsorship. If he had an issue, he could have stepped back from his "FedEx accounting nightmares" for 30 seconds and left me an email with "sorry, I decided against sponsorship" in the beginning, not months into the advertising he wanted done for his site. Wait, that's right, he NEVER said he didn't want to sponsor the show. He was certainly wanting me to still advertise for him over a month after our first conversation when he sent me his logo to put on my website, right?
You say you were not mean-spirited in your responses. Maybe I, as a PUSHY PHONE SOLICITOR, felt that you were going way out of context on some of your posts. But, since I just keep emailing and emailing and don't take a hint to back off, or in this case responding and responding to you when you say you are leaving the thread, I will leave you to your thing, and I will go about my way as far as you are concerned.

Well, the baby is waking up again, so it's off to try to sooth a teething 8 month old who has a double ear infection and a URI. And my two 8 year olds are home sick today too, so that should be fun. Plus there's dishes to do, and I think I need to vacuum again this morning, and I have several loads of laundry that need done. And I have 52 reptiles that need feeding and cages cleaned, including 1 rescue beardie who must be force fed several times a day so she doesn't die. And, as some might imagine, I have show stuff to do since it is only just over 3 weeks away. Oh, Catherine, thanks for reminding me about the banner, I have to go redo all of those as well. Plus I have forums to go post on so that the sponsorship can be announced as canceled, and depending on the site, why it was canceled (I wonder if Mr. Young will make the time to remove my post on his site in the midst of all his other time constraints). Plus I have emails to respond to, phone calls to make (I wonder how funny I sound being so sick), and some other show business to take care of. And it's only now 8am...at least I got 3 hours of sleep last night and the flu isn't knocking me out or anything. And it's a real good thing that this medicine I am on doesn't make me want to throw up every 5 minutes. Today will be a piece of cake!

David, step up and at least respond. I MAKE the time during all of my nightmares and being swamped and sick (see above for just today), I just don't get your excuse anymore...want to trade a day in the life?

Kelly Kordek

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
david young, repster, reptster