Western hog cage in basement - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 08:56 PM   #1
kalel5011
Western hog cage in basement

Hey team, I'm wanting to get my setup for a hog in my basement. Any tips or suggestions? I've got substrate and hides. I've kept hogs before, but I was in Texas and the climate was better. I'm in Illinois now. If I could keep him upstairs, I wouldn't post.

If you're doing it successfully, it would be wonderful for you to share!
Thanks everyone,!

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Old 07-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #2
Dyscophus antongilii
I am thinking that I am missing various key components of information. Since, it looks like you have a finished basement. So, I would assume the only difference might be the need for a dehumidifier in the basement.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
kalel5011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyscophus antongilii View Post
I am thinking that I am missing various key components of information. Since, it looks like you have a finished basement. So, I would assume the only difference might be the need for a dehumidifier in the basement.
I do, yes. Just wondered if anyone else had thoughts. Coming from Texas, we don't have basements as prevalent. Humidity sits around 50%.

Old 07-15-2017, 05:54 AM   #4
Magic
Baby, juvenile, sub adult, adult??

What size is that tank?
What are your plans for heat and viewing light? What about substrate?

Give us some parameters and we can help lots more.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #5
kalel5011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic View Post
Baby, juvenile, sub adult, adult??

What size is that tank?
What are your plans for heat and viewing light? What about substrate?

Give us some parameters and we can help lots more.
Sub adult
Heat was going to use UTH and a led light.
Starting substrate is going to be worn bedding.
I think the tank is 20 long.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:05 AM   #6
kalel5011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalel5011 View Post
Sub adult
Heat was going to use UTH and a led light.
Starting substrate is going to be worn bedding.
I think the tank is 20 long.

Aspen bedding

Old 07-15-2017, 10:07 PM   #7
codie
Because there are uncommon and isolated populations in Illinois, plains hognose snakes are a protected species there and cannot be legally kept as captives. Weird law, I know. Who would make the extreme effort of searching for and collecting a native Illinois snake with all the possible attendant problems associated with a wild caught specimen when an indistinguishable individual can be acquired so easily and cheaply as a captive born and bred? But apparently this is what the state of Illinois suspects will happen. I'm not judging you. I just thought you should know the facts.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
kalel5011
Quote:
Originally Posted by codie View Post
Because there are uncommon and isolated populations in Illinois, plains hognose snakes are a protected species there and cannot be legally kept as captives. Weird law, I know. Who would make the extreme effort of searching for and collecting a native Illinois snake with all the possible attendant problems associated with a wild caught specimen when an indistinguishable individual can be acquired so easily and cheaply as a captive born and bred? But apparently this is what the state of Illinois suspects will happen. I'm not judging you. I just thought you should know the facts.
You require a special permit from the department of natural resources to own western hognoses. I appreciate your response. I'm not sure what you're not judging me on. You should add the special permit piece to your statement for future education. If you know anyone who wants it, have them get in contact with Scott ballard.

Old 07-15-2017, 11:17 PM   #9
codie
Sorry,
You're obviously much more informed about the regulations than I am. When I read your post, I (wrongfully) assumed that as a new resident of Illinois that you were unaware or the status of hognoses in the state. Please forgive my ignorance

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!