Help, male dragon will not breed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-25-2012, 05:50 PM   #1
Headcreeps
Help, male dragon will not breed

Recently got a nice hypotrans male who is over a year old from a breeder. Was told he had bred once before i got him. I want to breed him to a specific hypotrans female. I've had them together for weeks on and off a few days at a time and nothing. At first he head bobbed, she arm waved and that was it. It's kinda crazy they just hang out together now and I don't know what to do ..
Any suggestions?

Old 08-29-2012, 03:14 AM   #2
august quion
Male Not breeding

Have either of them been cooled for burmation? If it was me I would separate Then if the female shows no signs of being gravid in 3-4 weeks start them both on a cool down let them go down for burmation for a couple of months. Fatten up in December/Jan breed in late Jan for late April/march hatchlings. My only question hypo/trans x hypo/trans breeding?? Please do your homework before doing this! It has and can be done! I myself would never do it. IMO you will get a much stronger trans line from a hypo/trans x hypo/het trans. Or even better hypo/het trans x hypo/het trans but that's just my 2 cents.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #3
Headcreeps
Hey thanks for the reply. I have done my research and read if not necessary to avoid brunation as it can be tricky and dangerous at times if not done properly, I suppose in this case it's the only choice I have. Lucky I just recieved another nice hypo partial trans male to breed with, in the process of it right now.. Looks like it will happen today... Hopefully, I'm real excited.
Although this my first breeding I've kept multiple dragons for a while and I am always reading up on them, especially when it comes to breeding and egg care. I forgot to mention the other male was a partial trans as well. I understand your concern as many people would say the same but it has been years of breeding trans that I would say that their gene is much stronger than when first produced so I wouldn't really worry about it at all. For all intents and purposes I'm looking to produce the 'sickest' dragons I can anyway.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Headcreeps
*brumation

Old 08-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #5
august quion
Breeding

Don't know any big dragon breeders that don't put there breeders through burmation. I don't claim to be an expert but I do produce 600-700 dragons a year of all morphs and have produced strong off the hook smoking hot hypo trans with out a trans/trans breeding. I normally dont sell on fauna but have a few name breeders all over that hit me up every year for my dragons to sell at shows. I will say this it is a flip of the coin with trans some lines just do better than others. I have seen too many trans/trans breedings that just don't thrive and have a high mortality rate. As for burmation I myself just stop feeding keep lights normal water daily soak daily till all food in system is passed take a weight and drop them in a clear bin with plenty of paper towels to hide in. Into the coolest room in the house and check weight 2x a month for two months then bring them back to normal lighting. One month of power feeding and they will breed as soon as you put them together. This has worked for me and I learned this form a well known very large scale breeder that lives close to me. Anyways good luck and hope you hatch out some nice healthy dragons! 

Old 08-30-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
Headcreeps
okay awesome, i was thinking about how to go about brumation. I'll probably start in the next 2 weeks just to make sure the female isn't gravid.
I'd love to breed double hets, just haven't seen any that caught my eye. Heard those will produce just as nice ones, or even nicer than hypo/trans to hypo/trans..
well i'll see for myself one day..
thanks for the advice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!