Genetics - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
LaseyWasey
Genetics

So i was looking in to boas gens and came to a stop on a few combinations.

Hypo 100% X Hypo 100%
Now i know that 1 out 4 come out albino,thus 25% become sunglows correct? but what about the possibility of a super hypo? how does play into the percentages? im going off of a 20 count litter.

Next. A Jungle X Motley? Will there be a new pattern out the offspring? or will 50% be jungle and 50% be Motley.

ill have more combo q.s soon. thanks for looking

Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #2
LaseyWasey
Hypo 100% albino btw

Old 12-22-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
AbsoluteApril
> Hypo X Hypo what about the possibility of a super hypo?

you could get 25% supers, 50% hypos and 25% normals, however it's not usually possible to tell the supers from the hypos so in reality it is 75% poss supers and 25% normals

> Next. A Jungle X Motley?

50% would theoreticaly get the Motley gene 50% get the jungle, some may get both and yes, this has been done.
The pattern sometimes becomes a mesh of the two, some keep the more classic motley pattern, some just get funky odd patterns.

here's a photo of a hypo jungle motley that I found listed here on fauna (ad from last year)
http://www.faunaclassified.com/forum...d.php?t=181157

here's a photo of a VPI jungle motley:
http://www.boaconstrictor.com/produc...leyjungle11bcm

here's a link that has a table that lists many of the combo outcomes:
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forum...ino-anery.html

Old 12-22-2011, 05:05 PM   #4
LaseyWasey
Wow those are some very nice animals,and that chart really helps.
i was having to make my own chart by hand. but theres something i spotted in the chart.

Sunglow X Sunglow
50%sunglow
25%super sunglow
25% albino
with albino X albino they all
come out albino.
im a little lost on why you get 25%
albinos out of a sunglows litter.
BTW Nice to meet you April. thxs for helping

Old 12-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Happy to help!

Ok, try to think of it this way - sunglow is a hypo (carries one hypo gene and one 'wild type'/normal gene) and albino (carries two albino genes). Then review each gene separately.

Sunglow x Sunglow -
each baby gets 1 copy of the recessive albino gene from each parent - therefore all babies will express the albino trait (2 copies of the gene)

each baby has a 50% change of getting a copy of the co-dominant hypo gene from each parent - therefore it's the same as hypo x hypo - 25% will get 2 copies of the gene making them supers (super sunglow), 50% will only get one copy making them hypos (sunglows) and 25% won't get the hypo gene at all making them normals (albinos in this case).

Does that make sense? It's hard to explain...

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!