Holy shnikies! Bring me up to speed. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
Bowgod34
Holy shnikies! Bring me up to speed.

Well I'm back after a very long hiatus. I used to be a very active member here under a coherent name that I couldn't remember. But after a lifetime of playing with large snakes I had to step away from the breeding game. In order to make it easy on myself I completely let the reptile lover in me go. So I have been completely out of the loop for over a decade now. But I'm back, and ready to throw my hat back in the ring, only problem is you guys have left me in the stone ages. I see so many new morphs, and so much new terminology that I don't even know where to begin. When I left albino boas were just hitting the market. Outside of those there really weren't any designer boa morphs. Now looks like the possibilities are endless.

So please someone bring me up to speed. What's all out there, how arw they being produced, I need a total reedjucation.

Pics are always nice.

Thanks in advance,
Dave.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #2
Stryker414
Best thing is to check out boaconstrictor.com (jeremy stone), boaphile (Jeff Ronne), Caramelboa (Brandon Nixon), just to name a few.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:26 PM   #3
RachelsBoa
Welcome back! There are definitely a LOT of possibilities out there now. There are recessive traits like albino, where each parent has to carry the gene in order to be passed to the offspring. There are also dominant traits like hypo, where only one parent needs to carry the gene and there are no hets. There's also polygenic, which I don't really understand.

This site really helped me when I was starting out:
http://www.freewebs.com/chadhornerep...oagenetics.htm

Old 12-24-2011, 06:58 PM   #4
Bowgod34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelsBoa View Post
Welcome back! There are definitely a LOT of possibilities out there now. There are recessive traits like albino, where each parent has to carry the gene in order to be passed to the offspring. There are also dominant traits like hypo, where only one parent needs to carry the gene and there are no hets. There's also polygenic, which I don't really understand.

This site really helped me when I was starting out:
http://www.freewebs.com/chadhornerep...oagenetics.htm

I heard that, I'm almost bewildered by all the names, and morphs being passed around on the classifieds now. When I had to step out kahl line babies were bringing high dollar, and you couldn't even think about Sharp line unless you hit the lottery. Now seems both are more common than regular colombians.

When I made the decision to get back into breeding I was ready to come out guns blazing, but now I don't even know which guns I want, and what ammo I need for those guns lol.

Old 12-25-2011, 11:13 AM   #5
Bowgod34
Well I believe I have decided what my first project is going to be. I'm leaning toward super jungle albinos as my starting point. looking at a jungle albino male, and a female jungle 100% het for albino. Being as albino was where my breeding projects ended so many years ago I never actually got to produce any I definitely want to pick back up there, and finish what I started. A few months before I had to give everything up I invested in my first albino breeding project, and never got to see it through. Loving some of PK's super jungles, I'm rather exited to put these 2 together and see what I can make.

I'm still on the fence, and a bit confused on my second project though. I'd like to add some hypo/super hypo to the mix in one of my future projects, but the one that is weighing heavily on my mind right now is sunglow. I know nothing about this morph other than I like the way it looks. So if anyone can give me agood run down on the subject it would be appreciated. Technically what is sunglow? What's the history? Who first produced them, and what were they a product of? What alll breeding options do they offer, and what directions can I go with them? Anything you know about sunglows I would live to learn from the most trivial facts all the way up to the most technical details. I like to know as much as humanly possoble about things I'm into before I put a bunch of money out, so any and all help is much appreciated.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!