Now I'm getting somewhere! But still need help lol. - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 02:48 PM   #11
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryker414 View Post
Here is a nice thread from another forum that you can reference Dave.

http://www.reptileinsider.com/showth...t=super+jungle
thanks for the link, I missed that thread over on RI!

Interesting about the feeding issues/smaller prey, I heard the same thing about the arabesques. I think some in general feed too large of items but I guess that is a topic for another thread.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
RachelsBoa
Ok, I did some more research and it looks like the super jungles were/are dying young. Maybe not as much any more, not sure.

This thread is about super jungles and motleys. The first few posts tell about the fertility issue with SJs but not longevity. That comes up about 8 posts down from Mr. Boaphile.
http://www.redtailboas.com/f17/super...motleys-52425/

The RI thread link that was posted is specifically about how to keep super jungle boas living longer.

Old 12-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #13
Bowgod34
From what I have gathered Pete has not only been able to keep them alive, he's also successfully been able to breed them. I hope to sit down with him after the holiday, and pick his brain on the subject.

But either way I'm not going to make a big deal of it right now. I'd be lucky if I got 1 out of this pairing. It's not like I'm breeding specifically for sj's. But this news has definitely gave me something to look into because super jungles are definitely a bigger part of my future plans. My ultimate goal for future seasons is super ju ngle sunglow, super jungle motley, and super jungle motley sunglow. So if the super jungles are going to prove problematic I may need to reevaluate my future plans or at least step back a notch and just stick with just really good jungles, and leave the super part out until the bigger boys figure them out a little, and better strengthen the genetics.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:31 PM   #14
RachelsBoa
Hopefully Pete can give you more info. I definitely have super jungles in my future plans also, but I plan on taking the long way around. I want to make super jungle anerys and I have the ingredients right now but they're all yearlings or younger. I don't have any jungles that are het anery, so I'm going to have to make the jungle hets first. The final product won't be for another 7-8 years at least.

Super jungle sunglows should be awesome though! And I never even thought what a super jungle motley would look like... Hmm...

Old 12-28-2011, 06:48 PM   #15
Bowgod34
Quote:
Originally Posted by RachelsBoa View Post
Hopefully Pete can give you more info. I definitely have super jungles in my future plans also, but I plan on taking the long way around. I want to make super jungle anerys and I have the ingredients right now but they're all yearlings or younger. I don't have any jungles that are het anery, so I'm going to have to make the jungle hets first. The final product won't be for another 7-8 years at least.

Super jungle sunglows should be awesome though! And I never even thought what a super jungle motley would look like... Hmm...
Yeah that was basically my train of thought when I decided to get back into breeding. I spent about 2 weeks combing the pages here, and over on KS just admiring all the new genetic phases that have surfaced over the last 10-15 years picking out which ones best suit my taste. Then for the next several weeks while I was researching what went into each phase, and learning the difference between dominant, co,dominant, and simple recessive genes my mind was working overtime trying to come up with the most creative ways to put everything I liked into 1 snake. It may take me the next 20 years to produce the only 2 on my mind right now, but I ain't going no where, and once I get there I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Super jungle sunglow, and then super jungle motley sunglow.
The up side to the wait is I'm going to have plenty opportunity to produce quite a few other fantastic specimens in the process.

But I am definitely going to pick Pete's brain on the super jungle issue. Maybe if I drop a bunch of cash on him for my future motley plans he won't mind putting up with me again lol.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 PM   #16
crotalusadamanteus
No offense, but I'm not sure I would completely trust what Pete says on the matter. He made it clear several years back, that it's all about the money to him. He ain't the same guy I met back in '99.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:25 PM   #17
Bowgod34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
No offense, but I'm not sure I would completely trust what Pete says on the matter. He made it clear several years back, that it's all about the money to him. He ain't the same guy I met back in '99.
I haven't talked to him in over a decade, but when I switched from burms to boas he was the most helpful guy on the planet. I have basically shut my self out of the reptile world for the last decade + so I'm not aware of anything that has went down since. But I certainly hope this isn't the case. The man has always been one of my idols in the industry. But money, and success can have that effect on people. I guess i'll find out soon enough. I just hope he was having a bad day at the time in question. We're all entitled to a few of those. I know that certainly wasn't the man I knew way back when.

Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #18
crotalusadamanteus
Just saying, keep an open mind.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 AM   #19
Stryker414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowgod34 View Post
Yeah that was basically my train of thought when I decided to get back into breeding. I spent about 2 weeks combing the pages here, and over on KS just admiring all the new genetic phases that have surfaced over the last 10-15 years picking out which ones best suit my taste. Then for the next several weeks while I was researching what went into each phase, and learning the difference between dominant, co,dominant, and simple recessive genes my mind was working overtime trying to come up with the most creative ways to put everything I liked into 1 snake. It may take me the next 20 years to produce the only 2 on my mind right now, but I ain't going no where, and once I get there I'm sure it will be well worth it.

Super jungle sunglow, and then super jungle motley sunglow.
The up side to the wait is I'm going to have plenty opportunity to produce quite a few other fantastic specimens in the process.

But I am definitely going to pick Pete's brain on the super jungle issue. Maybe if I drop a bunch of cash on him for my future motley plans he won't mind putting up with me again lol.
It shouldn't take that long to produce a super jungle sunglow (hypo jungle het albino x jungle het albino) (you get a better % if you use a jungle sunglow though) nor a jungle motley sunglow (albino motley x hypo jungle het albino). All of these have been on the market for a while now. Cant wait to see what you come up with.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #20
Bowgod34
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Just saying, keep an open mind.
Thanks I appreciate the heads up.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!