RI question about quarantine. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
RonzRoyalz
Update yall! Mine is an albino and his eye's were very light pink and of course all the other symtoms. Anyway, it's been 5 days on baytril with this morning's dose. His eye's are alot darker now and he actually coiled around my arm as I was putting the syringe (don't know if that's the right word) (the juice tube) into his mouth. No more bubbles or open mouth breathing after I was done. I down sized from a 41qt tub to a 20qt I think sitting on top of 11" tape. This way he can't run away from the warmth and stay sick. About 92* and 80-85% humidity. Seems to work for this guy.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:36 PM   #22
P&A Pythons
85 percent humidity seems kinda high

Old 05-14-2012, 01:09 AM   #23
ClarkT
Glad he's getting better some.

Yeah, a culture is with a mouth swab.

I'm wondering on the info of the humidity needing to be lower. Not that I'm saying it's wrong. Just wondering what info it's based on? I've heard conflicting opinions on it, and I can't tell who to believe on it.

Old 05-14-2012, 07:18 AM   #24
P&A Pythons
Just from what I have read over the yrs. Most books and all info that I have come across has always been keep 50-60 percent. Maybe 60 to 70 during shed. I forgot where I read it but a study was done on high humidity and ri.I personally keep my tubs 50 to 60 when it drops below 50 I mist lightly humidity jumps to 80 but then will drop slowly during the day by next morn I'm at 60 percent. I mist once twice week now threw sept. Then more often during cooler months.Take a look at weather in ghana see what conditions are there.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:51 AM   #25
RonzRoyalz
He still has some bubbles, so now I'm gonna take his spagnum moss out with just water bowl and kraft paper and around 93-94* and see how he does. He's more active better looking eyes,still won't eat. It's been a month since he's had a live small rat, he's about
350g. he has 2 syringes left out of 10. Mouth seems all pink. He keeps pooping small amounts. I clean the cage daily from the mucus smears. On another note, I'll clean my other tubs as soon as they pee or poop. I go through alot of kraft paper. Is this too anal?

Old 05-14-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
JordanAng420
No such thing as too anal when it comes to health and a clean environment. Clean as much as you need to, without stressing the snake.

If he's still on antibiotics, he probably won't eat until about a week or two (maybe even longer) after he's finished with them. Baytril is a very strong antibiotic. Antibiotics do sometimes cause reptiles to lose their appetite, in my experience. I had a snake with Pneumonia who was on antibiotics for 6 weeks, and the entire time he didn't eat. After we finished them, he started eating right away.

When you do start feeding again, don't start right off with another rat, I would try something smaller first, like a mouse, just to get him used to the idea of hunting/eating again.

Old 05-14-2012, 08:02 PM   #27
P&A Pythons

Old 05-23-2012, 08:39 AM   #28
RonzRoyalz
New update yall. I lowered the humidity by taking out the moist moss and changing the medium water bowl for a small, still have the temp about 92 or so. It's been about 15 days on batryl and he no bubbles and just sounds a little stuffy when I get him excited about giving him his daily dose. I'm gonna throw a mouse in tonight and see if he'll eat.

Old 05-28-2012, 02:39 PM   #29
RonzRoyalz
Newer update: he just shed and has had 20 doses of batryl. He's still a little stuffy sounding, but no bubbles or wheezing. Temp is still about 92-93* and very low humidity and he still had a good shed. I'll be throwing a live mouse in twice a day to see if he'll finally eat after 2 months I think? I got him in Feb he ate his 1st and only live small rat in late March. Very timid. What yall think? More batryl?

Old 05-28-2012, 03:11 PM   #30
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonzRoyalz View Post
Newer update: he just shed and has had 20 doses of batryl. He's still a little stuffy sounding, but no bubbles or wheezing. Temp is still about 92-93* and very low humidity and he still had a good shed. I'll be throwing a live mouse in twice a day to see if he'll finally eat after 2 months I think? I got him in Feb he ate his 1st and only live small rat in late March. Very timid. What yall think? More batryl?
I hesitate to give any advice on medicine, as I am no vet. I've heard bad things about prolonged usage of Baytril so I would consult the vet for that question. Seems to me that he should be fine after (before, really) 20 doses of the correct dosage of that drug.

Let us know if he takes a meal. Best of luck with him!!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!