Biggest Monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-05-2007, 01:30 AM   #1
The Don
Biggest Monitor

What is the biggest Monitor (besides the Komoto Dragon)?? One of my friends said something called a Sulphur Monitor grows the biggest/weighs the most but I could have sworn someone was selling a monitor at a show I went to when I was a little kid and they said THEIR type of monitor grew the largest, but it wasn't called a Sulphur. Does anyone know the answer to this?

Old 05-05-2007, 05:28 AM   #2
hhmoore
Assuming you are considering both overall length AND body mass, the answer would be the water monitor (V. salvator). The sulfur monitor you mentioned IS a water monitor, but one characterized by a greater degree of yellow...especially on the upper body (head, neck, and upper back area).
If, however, you want to know the longest monitor, that is the crocodile monitor (V. salvadorii) - which actually can surpass the Komodo dragon in length.

Old 05-05-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
romad119
All of which are off limits to us New Yorkers.

Old 05-05-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
Digby Rigby
Arrow Sulphur water monitor

The sulphur water monitor's defining difference from other water monitors is the lack of stripe behind the eye. Some ugly ones arent even all that bright but all sulphurs have that one characteristic in common. They are a naturally occuring morph found in populations of normal colored water monitors. They generally get brighter with age.

Digby Rigby balboa28279@mypacks.net

My feeders are cooler than your pets

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!