Teeth, Claws and Tail - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 02:19 PM   #1
SPJ
Teeth, Claws and Tail

Varanus ornatus

If it tolerates people as an adult it would be great.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
TheFragginDragon
Handsome little devil! I didn't know you were into monitors.

Old 11-13-2008, 02:50 PM   #3
MiIguanaLvr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
Varanus ornatus

If it tolerates people as an adult it would be great.

Very pretty. Pardon my ignorance of monitors but what is the common name for this one?

Old 11-13-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiIguanaLvr View Post
Very pretty. Pardon my ignorance of monitors but what is the common name for this one?
Ornate nile monitor. A subspecies of the common nile.
These tend to stay smaller as adults, have different markings, and a pink instead of black tongue. Supposedly they tame easier than common niles.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:02 PM   #5
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFragginDragon View Post
Handsome little devil! I didn't know you were into monitors.
I love them but the wife doesn't.
I had the nile from Hell at one time that kept escaping (never use pegboard as a backing on the cage) so he eventually had to go. Was not nice and it was best he left than me build another cage.
I have been looking for a true ornate nile and finally found one. Usually I see pretty niles being passed of as ornates but this one is an actual ornate with the pink tongue and all.
I think it's a male since it comes running up to me when I open the cage. From what I have read, males tend to be more outgoing and come right up to you. He goes right out into my hand but the running up part is gonna suck when it is older. That will shock you seeing a large lizard coming at you.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
MiIguanaLvr
Quote:
These tend to stay smaller as adults, have different markings, and a pink instead of black tongue. Supposedly they tame easier than common niles.
Thanks for the info. I had heard of them but didnt know the latin name

Old 11-13-2008, 05:57 PM   #7
TheFragginDragon
Quote:
That will shock you seeing a large lizard coming at you.
THAT is going to be a Kodak moment . Good luck with him!

Old 11-13-2008, 06:32 PM   #8
hhmoore
Quote:
You had me wondering if they changed the classification while I wasn't looking (certainly possible, since I haven't been looking for 10+ yrs damn, I'm getting old). Since they are still a subspecies, they're still Varanus niloticus ornatus. Quit trying to trick the old timers.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
SPJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
You had me wondering if they changed the classification while I wasn't looking (certainly possible, since I haven't been looking for 10+ yrs damn, I'm getting old). Since they are still a subspecies, they're still Varanus niloticus ornatus. Quit trying to trick the old timers.
They are actually starting to break them out now. It used to be Varanus niloticus ornatus but lately I have seen them being described as Varanus niloticus and Varanus ornatus individually since the ornatus is more of a forest animal that prefers higher humidity.
They definitely appear to have totally different dispositions so far. Warmed up to 130 degrees plus and a V. niloticus will whip you with the tail and try to bite a chunk out of you (been there, done that, didn't like it ). This one comes running over to see what's going on and come out of the cage.
Let's see how it progresses over time. Gonna try to gain it's trust thru it's belly.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:25 PM   #10
SPJ
Full body shot.
Attached Images

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!