A.N.G. Pets and Exotics - Disgusting! - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #31
ravensgait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
I'd be happy to go with you having DIFFERENT morals Bobby, I don't know as I'd go with HIGHER.

Just because the guy disagrees with you doesn't make him wrong.

Are you going to extrapolate that to humans too? What's the real difference between a boa born with no eyes and a person? I've never been blind for more than a few seconds. I can't really imagine what it's like to have never seen. But, I have known people who have NEVER seen anything and they seemed reasonably happy.

If the snake is taken care of, who's to say it isn't happy? We simply can't know.
Wes, if you look at it that way I'd say a blind snake is better suited to deal with being blind than a human is. We rely far more on our eyesight than they do.. Randy

Old 02-15-2008, 01:23 PM   #32
varnyard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilomn
I'd be happy to go with you having DIFFERENT morals Bobby, I don't know as I'd go with HIGHER.

Just because the guy disagrees with you doesn't make him wrong.

Are you going to extrapolate that to humans too? What's the real difference between a boa born with no eyes and a person? I've never been blind for more than a few seconds. I can't really imagine what it's like to have never seen. But, I have known people who have NEVER seen anything and they seemed reasonably happy.

If the snake is taken care of, who's to say it isn't happy? We simply can't know.
So three legged lizards should be worth more, or even one with only two legs? They are handicaps too. So the boa is not handicapped Wes? He will live a normal life without the gift of sight? And he is worth far more than a normal healthy animal? We are not talking about something being blind, but born with a birth defect of having no eyes, and might very well be genetic as it is in the turtles.

It takes fewer morals to accept this as a good thing; I choose to see it for what it is. There is nothing about this sale that is less then very sorry as well as sad. JMHO.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:49 PM   #33
Wilomn
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
JMHO.
Not seeing much HUMILITY here, but such is life.

It may be genetic, it may not.

The simple fact is, you don't know. Yet you're sure you're right. Trust me, I can understand this. I simply don't agree with you this time.

IF someone is willing to pay more for a two legged lizard, then it is worth more. It's as simple as that. While you may not sell or even keep it alive as a matter of your "moral" convictions, you in no way call the shots for everyone else.

You're entitled to your opinions Bobby, but not moral superiority because of them.

I'm a fairly moral and ethical guy. If I had a no eyed boa that someone wanted to buy from me, I'd probably sell it.

Supply and demand. If I kept it I doubt I'd breed it though. I have no need to TRY to supply that demand.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:12 PM   #34
The BoidSmith
Quote:
I'm a fairly moral and ethical guy.
Let's say within "some" of the western civilization (which I consider to be aligned also). But the world is big and diverse, and what's moral here...

Although I'm in favor of culling imperfect animals with a demonstrated genetic defect or impaired in any way, I can also understand why other people might decide not to. It would be nice not to make comparisons or extrapolate to humans though...it brings very sad memories of the history of the human race...

Old 02-15-2008, 02:14 PM   #35
varnyard
Quote:
Varnyard= Of course my morals might be higher than others, but that is just my opinion.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/morals

Quote:
mor·al [mawr-uhl, mor-] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation –adjective
1. of, pertaining to, or concerned with the principles or rules of right conduct or the distinction between right and wrong; ethical: moral attitudes.
2. expressing or conveying truths or counsel as to right conduct, as a speaker or a literary work; moralizing: a moral novel.
3. founded on the fundamental principles of right conduct rather than on legalities, enactment, or custom: moral obligations.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morals
Quote:
Morality (from the Latin moralitaser "manner, character, proper behavior") has three principal meanings.

In its first descriptive usage, morality means a code of conduct held to be authoritative in matters of right and wrong, whether by society, philosophy, religion, or individual conscience.

In its second, normative and universal, sense, morality refers to an ideal code of conduct, one which would be espoused in preference to alternatives by all rational people, under specified conditions. To deny 'morality' in this sense is a position known as moral skepticism.[1]

In its third usage 'morality' is synonymous with ethics, the systematic philosophical study of the moral domain.[2]

Ethics seeks to address questions such as how a moral outcome can be achieved in a specific situation (applied ethics), how moral values should be determined (normative ethics)

I take that to mean less morals means less ethics, or less ethics mean less morals, either way.

So I guess it would based on how ethical someone would think it is. I however see nothing good, right or ethical about it, and that is my opinion. Thus the reason I stated I have higher morals when it come to this. It is also my opinion that the seller has no morals or should I say ethics.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:23 PM   #36
critical bill
I tossed a midget in a dwarf throwing competition back in the 80's.

Does that make me bad?

They had helmets.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:31 PM   #37
SPJ
Wow. I had no idea this would turn out like this.
Good catch Dennis.

Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #38
varnyard
I will ask a few more questions:

Would it be ok to breed this animal if it is proven to be genetic? If not why?

If you said no to the first question, then why do you think it is ok to sell this one? If it is ok, then why not breed more that bring more money like this poor snake?

That's it, and it is cut and dry, no matter how you care to sum it up.

But I bet most of you will agree it is morally and ethically wrong to produce more of them, why?

Old 02-15-2008, 02:51 PM   #39
Wilomn
At risk of taking it off topic in a malicious manner, I'll say there is nothing wrong with breeding it if it breeds true.

No one stuck his hand in the mixing bowl and made this snake. It just happened. If it can live and reproduce and there's a market for the babies, go for it.

And also, you keep anthropomorphising this snake. How do YOU know if feels a lack, that it is unhappy, that it knows there is something wrong (and by whose definition is another important question) with it?

If its brain is as small and simple as I think it is, all it really has any care at all about is being warm, getting water and food and MAYBE breeding. Not all snakes want to breed. All of us who do it know that.

I agree that you can feel the way you do Bobby, but I don't agree that it makes you any better than anyone who feels differently. It also, your feeling, does not give you the right to pass judgment for everyone else.

Old 02-15-2008, 03:01 PM   #40
varnyard
Well Wes, to each his own, I prefer healthy animals that are completely normal as far as all of their body parts intact, anything less is truly sad.

So I must say I disagree with you 110%, and I do not agree with trying to produce more handicap animals just for the money, when in the end to only one to suffer is the animals.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!