what the %$#@ $400 for an APTOR - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-15-2005, 01:36 PM   #1
groovygeckos
Question $400 for an APTOR ?

OK Theres an ad w/ an APTOR for $400 .

Is it me or is this the exact type of thing (drastic price drop) that keeps potential investors from buying ?

Who does this hurt in the long run if a price drops quickly and you loose potential buyers ? the entire "market" (IMO) including the seller .

How could this affect the older (still awesome ) Carrothead Jungle Giant Albino (non APTOR) pricing ? which sell between $250-400 themselves , well maybe not anymore im guessing

Im a little dissapointed by this .

It is the same reason there is this "ill hold off till the price drops quick cause it will" mentality . Should we really perpetuate that ?

Anyone else have any ideas or thoughts ? comforting words ?LOL

Old 07-15-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
saltwaterreptiles
I still think people will pay bigger money for quality from a proven breeder, for the very BEST examples of a morph. Its like dogs, you can get some dogs fairly cheap cause they were done by backyard breeders, BUT, the GOOD dogs with pedigree comes from top notch and well known breeders and will always demand a good price!

Old 07-15-2005, 02:15 PM   #3
dwedeking
Welcome to a very competitive industry.

I set my pricing with only 5 - 10% of the decision based upon what other people are doing in the market. Most of the decision is based upon costs associated with the animal. I've been at shows where people have low balled the market and done fine. You just have to learn how to sell your benefits and exploit the competitors weakness.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:16 PM   #4
groovygeckos
I understand that . But this isnt a 'backyard Leo breeder' (IMO) like i`de consider myself . And it is a new morph . thats the thing i dont have a rep to be able to get top dollar for something and they most likely do and could get whatever they wanted being the first to come to market besides RT . So now am i to go even lower in price than that to be able to sell at all ? thats what i mean , and other people may take the same idea . So i guess this is more of a what IF others feel they need to match or go lower (?) know what i mean.

Seriously im nobody in this business and my lowest price to remain comparable with my lack of reputation would be $600 for an APTOR ( based on the original price of $750-1250 from RT but because it is a new morph also.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:20 PM   #5
groovygeckos
"You just have to learn how to sell your benefits and exploit the competitors weakness." OK you im watchin out for ! kidding

Now that, ive seen first hand .

Old 07-15-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
Vince
Sweet. Ill wait another couple months and pick one up for $75.00

Old 07-15-2005, 02:31 PM   #7
Gregg M
Honestly, what did you expect??? Those aptors are nothing special anyway..... I know many people are not crazy about them and if you ask me, 400 is still too much.....

The only morphs that hold their value are the line or selectivly bred stuff..... The co-dom stuff will hold its value for the plain fact that you can mix it in with other co-dom, linebred, and recessive morphs....

Old 07-15-2005, 02:39 PM   #8
dwedeking
"So now am i to go even lower in price than that to be able to sell at all ?"

Yes, if that's all you bring to the table. I've also founding holding animals for a certain while to allow prices to flucuate can be a sound business plan as well.

I don't know anywhere in the rule book where it says the competitors have to let you make money.

Old 07-15-2005, 03:12 PM   #9
JBrune
Did you really think...

The Aptor would hold it's value for any longer??? I don't think Ron has ever been in the business to corner the market to uphold a higher value on a certain morph. So why wouldn't the Aptor just drop in price from year to year. Now look back on the Mack Snow thing. Wasn't it you and Dan L. who got stung here by Alex who wanted to limit the people who had this morph. I think we all remember that ugly scene. I think this was exactly his point on why he was so upset that you ended up with one of his animals. I hope you are not offended by my post it was the sure irony of the situation that made me write it in the first place.
Joyce

Old 07-15-2005, 03:15 PM   #10
g&mgeckos
I understand your frustration, but I think it is like what as been mentioned already if you produce quality animals buyers will come. Its a hard business to make money at if was easy even more people would be doing it. You have nice animals I have seen your ads and your web site. Just try to be patient and keep an open mind. Wait to see what happens over the next few months then make any needed adjustments.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!