Bugs 101, advice requested - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-21-2005, 07:11 AM   #1
Lucille
Bugs 101, advice requested

I thought it would be a great idea to grow some mealworms and superworms to supplement what I buy.
I got containers, bran, and ordered some water crystals. I have divided containers for the superworms to pupate.
After doing more extensive research, I found that raising these bugs takes a bit of doing, as they have to be separated out from time to time, and the bedding is subject to infestation by grain mites. But, there are 'how to' instructions on a number of sites, especially for bluebird enthusiasts who apparently raise lots of them to put in outdoor bird feeders.
Does anyone who actually raises bugs have any handy hints or techniques that might increase the success rate in this venture?

Old 11-21-2005, 07:16 AM   #2
Jim O
Hey Lucille, didn't Rich just make a stand about off topic threads?

There's a bug forum (technically "Insects and Arachnids") at http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=39. Perhaps this would be best there.

Old 11-21-2005, 07:55 AM   #3
Lucille
I considered that Jim, but since the bugs are gecko food I believe it is on topic here, just as questions about mice for snakes might be and often are properly discussed in the snake forum. However, I certainly do not mind if it is moved. Got any bug hints for me?

Old 11-21-2005, 08:21 AM   #4
Jim O
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
I considered that Jim, but since the bugs are gecko food I believe it is on topic here, just as questions about mice for snakes might be and often are properly discussed in the snake forum. However, I certainly do not mind if it is moved. Got any bug hints for me?
I guess the way that I see it if you are asking about what bugs to feed, how many to feed, when to feed, how to feed, etc, that is "on topic".

When one gets to actual husbandry issues as the initial "topic" for a thread, to me that seems more appropriate for a "bug forum". That's where I saw the difference. JMO of course.

As for hints, if you decide to keep and breed roaches, NEVER tell your friends, and expecially not your neighbors. If you must let on that these guys exist, tell a little white lie and call them beetles.

Old 11-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #5
Vince
Keep the containers as ventilated as possible. Humidity = Smelly.
For mealworms I think veggies like carrot and ice burg are a better source of water for breeding bugs. Save the supplemented crystals for gut loading feeders. Breeding worms isnt to hard. It just takes awhile for the eggs to turn into feeder size insects.

Old 11-21-2005, 10:13 AM   #6
A_Kendergirl
Breeding mealworms is a pretty brainless venture. I use the multiple bin system. All of the aliens (pupae) and beetles go into a clean bin with gutload and egg crates (or paper towel) so the dumb beetle can walk around without problems. As soon as I start seeing worms, all of the beetles and aliens go into a new bin with fresh gutload and eggcrate until you start seeing worms again. On and on. It's about 4 bins to keep and cycle. When the 1st bin has fully grown worms that have mostly pupated, I'll toss the last couple in the breeder bin with the beetles.

A side note: I agree with Jim...this has nothing to do with leos. But, I never really minded the off topic threads that much anyway.

Old 11-21-2005, 11:09 AM   #7
tanias16
I mentioned before that I had the best luck keeping superworms in divided containers, rather than in film containers. I would always put a tad bit of food in them (bran) and then put them somewhere dark and check on them every couple of days. I have found you have less pest problems if you used rolled oats instead of bran, but that's my opinion. I also think that discussing feeders and the breeding of them is just as approriate to the gecko thread as any other feeder thread. But that's also just my opinion. If you run into any trouble, feel free to PM me. I've also noticed that its best to make sure there is plenty of room between the bran and the top of your containers to keep worms and beetles from escaping.
Hope that helps
Tania

Old 11-21-2005, 04:49 PM   #8
Mari
I agree on carrots being a good source of water for the buggies, also romaine lettuce, and celery. All of those have a lower risk of mold, which is what you mainly need to watch out for, as it could ruin the whole bunch. Moldy beetles equal moldy baby worms, which can't be fed to the leos. So as long as you keep an eye on that, and remove uneaten portions you should be good.

Old 11-21-2005, 05:57 PM   #9
tanias16
I also use potatoes, I find that they don't mold but hold a good amount of mositure for the creatures. They last a while and I tend to have them laying around the house.

Old 11-25-2005, 07:04 PM   #10
groovygeckos
Bugs SUCK! Lesson learned

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!