Blood in stool after laying.. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Horned Frog
Blood in stool after laying..

My female was a first year breeder this season and after a very successful breeding with 34 eggs laid she began to eat ravanously again. She laid her eggs days ago, two days ago she stopped eating as much. After she laid her eggs she did not pass her food as often (normally ~ once/day), in fact I can only recall one, maybe two small stools up until today. This morning she woke up and had a rather runny poop and I observed some red (presumably blood) in it. About two hours after that she dedicated again, with a normal consistency but again with small traces of blood. I have been spritzing her 4-5 times/day and she has a water bowl which she knows how to drink from and I observe her doing so. I also give her baths, more frequently with the pregnancy, but normally about once per week, if not more. I do not think it is dehydration. What else could it be? could it have to do with the eggs? I am going to take her to a vet with a stool sample but I am in the middle of finals and just don't have time to do it right now. Is this threatening or will she be ok for about a week? Please help me! I would be devastated if anything happened to my little girl.

Old 05-02-2012, 05:23 PM   #2
john.r1
I think it would be a good idea to make time and go to the vets , you may never no exactly what caused the blood in the poo but any time you notice something like this it's better to get checked out , hope every thing turns out okay

Old 05-02-2012, 06:41 PM   #3
Horned Frog
I know, I am going to take her as soon as I am done with these tests. I was really just hoping somebody could tell me if blood is at all normal after laying, perhaps some mucus or other membranes associated with the eggs. and if its not then is it a matter that needs to be addressed immediately or will the little girl be fine till next friday.

Old 05-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Sushi Dragons
It's not normal in my experience. How is she doing now? Any more blood, issues eating, passing stool, etc ?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Horned Frog
Well it happened this morning and I have been out studying all day but I went to check on her and she ate two roaches and hadn't passed her bowls again. From things I am reading it can come from dehydration (I am ruling that out), parasites, or impaction (either from substrate or too large food). She made the switch to dubia roaches about a week before the breeding process began and they are much bigger than crickets (maybe some of them are even boarding on too large) but she didn't show any issues until now. She has never had issues with her play sand but I do notice that if she licks a roach and misses it some sand gets stuck to the moistened shell, which she then consumes. I was under the impression that with play sand this minor consumption was not harmful. I would hate for her to have contracted parasites because the hatchlings would then be in danger. Could she catch something from the male? or maybe my source of roaches (a reptile store) is selling me parasitic insects. I am going to give her a nice warm bath tomorrow and give her some pedialyte, hopefully this will help clear out anything else in her. I will call a vet tomorrow and get their opinion concerning the urgency of her inspection and fecal test.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!