a black ( melanistic ) WDB found at Waurika... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-14-2005, 05:59 PM   #1
old guy
a black ( melanistic ) WDB found at Waurika...

during that rattlesnake roundup. My bud that was curious to what goes on at these things went down and reported this back. He also reported that there was an excess of rattlesnakes found and i have heard that is the way its been going at the other roundups so far this year. At least the person that found the black western didn't turn it in but kept it for the highest bidder. It was a male and thin though. Before he ( friend ) left the bid was at $150 but the kid that found it said he had someone from Wichita that was going to pay more. I'll get the pic soon and post it. I believe him when he said black because he has got some from our west Texas adventures that are dark but shows pattern where this one does not.

Old 04-14-2005, 06:03 PM   #2
Intense Herpetoculture
That should prove interesting.

Old 04-15-2005, 12:48 AM   #3
Amos
Talking I bet

I know who in Wichita is wanting that.Not too many of us in this area so kinda easy to narrow down.I wouldnt mind having it either...lol

Trey Small

Old 04-15-2005, 07:38 AM   #4
cthulhu77
There are some interesting populations of WDB's in southern Arizona also...one mountain range has some that are "lilac" in colour...almost black morphs occur down by Douglas (well, they look more dark brown to me, but some herpers call them black)...will be interesting to see a true melanistic one...
greg

Old 04-15-2005, 12:07 PM   #5
psilocybe
There is a population of melanistic WDB's in central (i believe) New Mexico...they inhabit the lava rock beds there, so being black or very dark in coloration makes sense. I'm not sure what the rules are about collecting in that area (haven't visited it myself, but it's on my list of herp spots this summer), but I'd love to get a pair of them someday.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!