Eastern Boxies Hatching - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum

Notices

Turtles & Tortoises Discussion Forum This forum is for the purpose of discussing any topics concerning the turtles and tortoises of the world.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #1
Bill Stonegate
Eastern Boxies Hatching

My female E. Box only laid 2 two eggs this year. One of them hatched yesterday.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2008, 05:37 PM   #2
LakesideBoas
Bill, he/she's adorable!

I wish I could keep one where I live, but they're protected. What is their usual average clutch size? It sounds like you were expecting a few more than two.

Old 10-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #3
Bill Stonegate
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideBoas View Post
Bill, he/she's adorable!

I wish I could keep one where I live, but they're protected. What is their usual average clutch size? It sounds like you were expecting a few more than two.
She has previously laid clutches of 5 and 6. I think I left her together with the male for too long, this past Spring. He really stresses her out when they are mating.

Here's a pic of the father.
Attached Images

Old 10-10-2008, 09:12 PM   #4
John E Dove
Very cool!!!! And thank you for the education
To return the favor, Western Ornate avg clutches are 2 - 3 eggs and the hatchlings look like their species. These guys we hatched out last year from a rescue female who supposedly was never exposed to a male. We figure she was a WC gravid when captured.
In these pics they were 1 day old and being weighed for the first time. Through the vermiculite on their shells you can see the Ornate markings
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2008, 03:02 AM   #5
LakesideBoas
Too darn cute! The very first land turtle species I ever had was a Boxie I recieved on my Birthday several years ago. I have loved them ever since.

I get to rescue them off the highways most every year, but it takes a real act of will not to take one home with me!

Old 10-11-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
Bill Stonegate
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakesideBoas View Post
Too darn cute! The very first land turtle species I ever had was a Boxie I recieved on my Birthday several years ago. I have loved them ever since.

I get to rescue them off the highways most every year, but it takes a real act of will not to take one home with me!
Yep, I've always had a soft spot for boxies, too. Very intelligent reptiles, with distinct personalities.

Quick story... The male (pictured above) escaped his outdoor enclosure a few years ago. To say I was bummed does not accurately describe the heart sinking feeling of finding an empty cage.

Couple weeks later, I was out feeding the female. Saw something out of the corner of my eye. He was "power" walking directly toward me, out of the bushes. He knew it was feeding time, and HE WAS HUNGRY. He had decided that captivity wasn't so bad, after all.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:28 PM   #7
LakesideBoas
That is priceless!

Old 03-03-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
exoticanimals
hey i was wondering if you sell the babys? email me at mcpolner@aol.com

Old 03-03-2010, 05:34 PM   #9
zzzdanz
That's awesome!...love the yellow on your male.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #10
bigalosu
Bill:

In your opinion, how long do you think the females should be exposed to the male? I currently have a colony of 1.2 ebt's and was going to introduce them after they come out of hibernation. I've heard from many different sources that the males aggression can worry the females too much, but can't find anything that tells me how long they should be allowed to mate. I don't have the time or resources to monitor them closely (and don't want to be considered a turtle voyeur) so I figured i would see how long you left your male in with your female.

Thanks,

Al

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!