Flagyl / pancur for imported babies need help folks - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-29-2004, 07:41 PM   #21
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
I beleive I have that book, so I'm going to look that up~ but I think your confusing Flagyl (Metrondizole) with Albon.

Old 06-29-2004, 07:45 PM   #22
LOSTNCONFUSED
no im looking at it right here its metronidaole(flagyl,searle) its says 50 mg/kg once daily for 5 to 7 days

Old 06-29-2004, 07:53 PM   #23
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Yes, I just looked and I can't find my book,. but I found the parasite identification sheet from him, and your right. Thats what it says.

It's wrong. Trust me, it is. And Flagyl can be dangerous. Do you have your book in front of you? What year was it written?

Old 06-29-2004, 07:57 PM   #24
LOSTNCONFUSED
no i have my chart in front of me i lent my book out there is no date on it ive used flagyl repeatedly in that exact dosage for years and have never had a problem and always had excelent results. as for albon ive only used it once and was told by a freind of mine who was a vet and was tol to be real careful with it because it was a dangerouse drug to use

Old 06-29-2004, 07:58 PM   #25
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Okay, found a date on my chart~ it was in 95. My other book "Whats wrong with my snake" by John Rossi DVM is only one year newer (96) but it contains the same info I have been told by both RDR and NERD when I asked them ( I asked about BPs, but the general dose would be similair) This book says :

60-125 mg/kg by mouth~ repeat in two weeks

NERD and RDR said 100-125 mg/kg by mouth repeat in two weeks, and again in two more weeks. This has worked find for me.

Old 06-29-2004, 08:02 PM   #26
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
The date on the chart is on the back page on the copy right. Both Klingenberg and Rossi say to use Albon for 5 to 7 days~ but Klingenberg says at 50 mg/kg for 5 days, then as needed. Rossi says 90 mg/kg first day, then 45 mg/kg for 4 days. I've never used Albon.

You are the only person I have ever heard of using Flagyl in that king of a dose~ I suppose if it works for you good~ but the reason given (Killing different life cycles) is valid~ so you may want to stop recomending such a high dose to others.

Just my opinion. I suppose your dose is lower~ just given so much more often it would have to build up some. To each his/her own

Old 06-29-2004, 08:16 PM   #27
LOSTNCONFUSED
hey i was just recomemding the dosage as it is written both in the book and the chart i have never heard of flagyl being adminstered weekly i have heard panacure being dosed that way i will go ahead and try it in the weekly dosage next time i need to use it it sounds like less of a pain in the ass doing weekly dosages than it does daily

Old 06-29-2004, 08:39 PM   #28
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
thats cool, I own the same book (Which is driving me crazy because I can't find it right now!) and chart and I never even realized it had a different dose for Flagyl than the Rossi book does. I know what has worked for me and what I've been told. Thats why I thought you must have confused your dosing with the Albon, cuz it was the only one I knew of that you dosed daily.

When I dose panacur and flagyl I mix my suspensions for both. I also mix pedalyte and some chicken or veal baby food. I load one oral syringe with the weight appropriate dose for the meds and about 3-5cc of the thin meat. (I mean I use 3 syringes, one with each med and one with the meat) I run the feeding tube down the snake and then give the Flagyl, followed by the panacur, followed by the meat solution. That makes sure to flush out anyleft over panacur out of the feeding tube and gets a little calories in with the meds. Then I repeat in two weeks.

Thats what I do, and it has worked for me. But I don't think I'll be adding any more WC to my collection (got enough now, need to sell some!). Anyway~ when I did a lot of WC at a time thats what I did. I just used a new feeding tube for each animal and I did not have to sanitize the oral syringes between each snake because it never actually touched the snake, just the sanitized end of a clean feeding tube.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!