Argentine Boa Help - Page 4 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 AM   #31
Psone
No i mean its jsut 40 dollars to go to there office and look at it,if they have to treat it or give it a shot could be up to 150 so i will let you guys know what happens thanks for all of your help.

Old 07-07-2007, 02:45 AM   #32
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psone
i am going to look up on boa breeding i am thinking that since there like almost 2 differant snakes they may not mate but i coul dbe wrong
You've already been told that Argentine boas (BCO) can Breed with Colombian boas (BCI), it has been proven time and time again. They are also not "like almost 2 differant snakes"...they are different subspecies of Boa constrictor, which means they are fairly close to being the same snake.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:24 PM   #33
liquidleaf
Yes. "Salmontines" that you see advertised are Argentines crossed with hypo Columbians, they mate and produce young all the time. Do not assume things when keeping exotic pets, do your research.

All vets charge an "office visit" fee. They need to do this to stay in business, just like your family doctor does (though your medical insurance pays for most of that office visit). There aren't "free estimates" when it comes to veterinary care, so you need to understand that if you cannot afford occassional vet visits, you probably can't afford to take care of exotic pets.

Have you bothered contacting the vets names posted above? Even the one who is part of your local herpetological society, who is also a vet and might be more willing to help you out?

Don't nickel-and-dime the health of your pet.

Old 07-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #34
crotalusadamanteus
Quote:
i am going to look up on boa breeding i am thinking that since there like almost 2 differant snakes they may not mate but i coul dbe wrong also i am going to look up and see what i can find out to know if she is pregnant what to do cause i know these types of snakaes have live young.
You are not ready for breeding. I'll tell you that right now. Breeding is a big responsibility. You put the females health at risk each time you do it. It takes a lot out of them, they quit eating for 4 months or more, and some have been known to die from it. She has to be in good enough health to withstand the rigors of gestation.

You won't even take the BCo to the vet to get the eye checked out. That tells me you do not have the amount of concern for the animals that you are leading us to believe. When the female becomes gravid, and gets sick, (which MANY gravid females do) are you going to hold off on that too and risk her life?

Sorry, but I'm all for the animals going to someone who will foot the responsibility of their health. A boa is not the kind of snake to practice and learn with. There are more hardy species out there, that are more tolerant of husbandry mistakes, etc. Maybe you should start with one of them.

My 2¢
Rick

Old 07-08-2007, 10:26 AM   #35
Psone
Tell me This,

Snakes have babies all the times in the wild and they dont go to the vet.
i dont know what your trying to get at here but i think you should go flame someone else,cause i take care of my snakes very well,

and like i said i do have other species of snakes i know when somethings wrong with one of my snakes. and you must not understand i take my pets to the vet.
i have called about five vets already and i amthinking about this one in parma,

so if your going to leave messages like that i recommend not leaving any cause it makes you look like a Flamer Goodbye.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:32 AM   #36
crotalusadamanteus
I thought I held back pretty good myself. I'm not as eloquent as some, and ain't going to pretend to be. But I wasn't attacking, or flaming you. I was showing concern for the Boa.

Your own words made me draw those conclusions.

Good luck with your snakes.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:34 AM   #37
Psone
Well,theres no need to show concern i know how to take care of animals and i surely wouldnt let one of my snakes die,

Old 07-08-2007, 10:38 AM   #38
crotalusadamanteus
OKEE DOKEY

Old 07-08-2007, 11:50 AM   #39
Miss Tuniwha
He wasn't flaming you AT ALL!!! I never saw one attack. All he stated were facts.

snakes breed when together.. no special nothing needed.

ANY good reptile owner knows to quarantine a new animal. Think about it.. if you KNOW this boa came from a bad pet store.. then why are you so sure that there are no internal parasites, etc.

you may love your snakes, but you are not being a responsible owner.

and a 40$ exam is cheaper then I can find! it is 60$ here to walk in the door.

and that eye cap? eye caps don't look like that *from what your pics showed*
you may just have a blind snake at this point *out of that eye*

It is not flaming you to give you constrictive criticism..

Remember many people on here breed for a living.

oh, and I breed boas, and NEVER change anything.. they just do the deed.

and a rat every 2 days is not good either.. give him bigger food less often.

not being mean.. just telling you the truth. you want an honest vet, are you gonna argue when he tells you things you dont want to hear also?

please do some more research.

thank you

Old 07-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #40
crotalusadamanteus
Here, recommended reading. You can never know so much, that you can't learn some more.

http://home.att.net/~crinaustin/BoaGeneral.htm

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!