The Ever Present Dangers in Breeding *Updated 15 Jan 2011* - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 07:56 PM   #11
JordanAng420
Snake MRI? If only that was a remote possibility...

I don't have much to add, but this is an interesting case, and I hope Icarus recovers well. Keep this thread updated!

Old 01-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #12
AbsoluteApril
Have not had anything like that happen (knock on wood) but have worried about it before. I'm sorry you had to deal with it and hopefully the guy will be okay. I also suspect it was because they could smell the rodents thawing in the other room. I notice mine (even when breeding) perk up anytime I'm feeding others in the room. I also keep the breeding tanks covered 80% so any movements in the snake room don't elicit an instinctual strike or something.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #13
crotalusadamanteus
Aurora attacked my Anery, but it wasn't near like you described. She just bit him to let him know her face wasn't the right spot, and left a tooth in his hide.

I'd have to agree with you. Either he whacked his noggin good, or something happened to his spine. Sure hope he recovers for you.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #14
Matt2979
Wow, after breeding for so long that is very strange. Last season I had something similar with a pair of balls, but it was because I introduced the male (like an idiot) right after feeding the BIG female. He slithered right up in her face and she took his in her mouth. Fortunately she dropped him almost immediately, but he looked/acted just like the first video...but only for a few minutes.

I wish you the best, and your boa, too!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:57 PM   #15
ShadowAceD
I don't think they do MRIs on snakes, and even if they did ... I definitely don't have the money for it. Lol

X-Rays are going to set me back like 150.00 as it is. For now, he is just under observation and I am hoping that the damage is muscular or, at most, a pinched nerve. Like I said, he can still move around, so that is a bit of a sign of optimism, but I do notice when he sits still he favors one side and leans off the left side of his body.

Someone on another forum said a similar thing happened to one of his males and it only survived a year following the attack. I also know of another guy that lost his boa because the female rolled on him and paralyzed him from the vent down. I do not think this is the case with Icarus. He appears to have feeling in all of his body.

I don't want to mess with him for a couple of days and have put newspaper up over his plexi-glass with tape, but I am checking in periodically to make sure there isn't sign of his condition worsening or serious contusions forming on his belly or sides. He has not done the head thing since this morning either, but the tip of his tail does seem to still be ticking.

I'll keep everyone updated.

Old 01-07-2011, 11:10 PM   #16
Matt2979
That "tail flicking" may just be from stress. I know babies do just what he was when they're not happy. I doubt he's extremely happy right now, poor guy. Hope he's looking better in the morning!

Old 01-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #17
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
That "tail flicking" may just be from stress. I know babies do just what he was when they're not happy. I doubt he's extremely happy right now, poor guy. Hope he's looking better in the morning!
now that I'm home and had a chance to watch the videos, I agree with Matt about the tail twitching, looks normal for a hungry or aggitated/upset boa. I hope he comes around for you.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #18
rcpreis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsoluteApril View Post
now that I'm home and had a chance to watch the videos, I agree with Matt about the tail twitching, looks normal for a hungry or aggitated/upset boa. I hope he comes around for you.
I was about to say same thing, the tail flicking just looks like agititation to me.

Old 01-08-2011, 05:50 AM   #19
crotalusadamanteus
What stood out to me, besides the obvious disorientation, was the lack of tongue flicking. In both those videos, he only flicked his tongue when you touched him. You open up any one of my cages, and their tongues start and keep going, until I leave.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #20
ShadowAceD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
What stood out to me, besides the obvious disorientation, was the lack of tongue flicking. In both those videos, he only flicked his tongue when you touched him. You open up any one of my cages, and their tongues start and keep going, until I leave.
Yeah, that was one of the more concerning things to see.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!