The Ever Present Dangers in Breeding *Updated 15 Jan 2011* - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #41
Matt2979
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowAceD View Post
Now, with that said ... let me explain to you how simple minded my wonderful little Icarus is.

A few pain injections, a nice cozy hide, some clean water and what is he doing? He is trying everything within his power to get out of his enclosure through the vent so that he may return to his procreation duties. It would seem even a near death experience brought on by breeding cannot deter what is instinctually prevelant in males. Lol I may have to put the little snot in a tub to keep him from moving around so much.
We're just trying to do our job!!

Seriously though, I am so happy to hear great news about him!! Take care of him and hopefully you can even post a pic or two once he's feeling better?

Old 01-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #42
Utta
Quote:
So, Icarus' condition has dramatically improved since he was put on the pain injections which leads my vet. to believe abnormal behavior was possible more pain related than it was nuerological, though she is still sure of his complex concussion.

I have no seen him hold his head at an odd angle at all since I got him back from the vet. and he is minimizing the behavior of lying on his side.

Now, with that said ... let me explain to you how simple minded my wonderful little Icarus is.

A few pain injections, a nice cozy hide, some clean water and what is he doing? He is trying everything within his power to get out of his enclosure through the vent so that he may return to his procreation duties. It would seem even a near death experience brought on by breeding cannot deter what is instinctually prevelant in males. Lol I may have to put the little snot in a tub to keep him from moving around so much.

I'm just glad he is doing better and am very optimistric now that he will make a full recovery with no ill effects of his ordeal with Artemis. However, I am rethinking the size I will allow my males to breed now. I know most people prefer much smaller, but having my own horror story and hearing others, I think letting him get a bit larger may benefit him.

I have a DH Snow and a Pos. TH Moonglow that are on the bigger side of males that I think may have faired better in the same situation, but there is no way to know for sure and I HOPE I never will find out.
simple minded? that's not simple minded at all! that.... well...... simple minded it is. but hes still a brave little bugger.... ok, yeea. hes simple minded.

Old 01-14-2011, 03:13 PM   #43
ShadowAceD
LOL The mind of a male: Must ... get ... pass ... anguish of ... broken ribs ... need to ... sustain ... species .... c'mere, woman! I can't move too good ... just lay down on your side and .. yeah ... there we go.

-dies-

Old 01-14-2011, 03:14 PM   #44
Utta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt2979 View Post
We're just trying to do our job!!

Seriously though, I am so happy to hear great news about him!! Take care of him and hopefully you can even post a pic or two once he's feeling better?
we get **** for doing our job, and **** when we dont do our job. theres no winning!

but i concur. pics would be great of the little simpleton

Old 01-14-2011, 03:32 PM   #45
ShadowAceD
LMAO I was about to warn you, Tyler.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #46
Snakesitter
Quote:
As a guy, I too must politely object to your selection of marketing labels. Perhaps "hard-working," "dedicated," or "self-sacrificing" could take its place? ;-)

Glad to hear he's up for (cough cough) his old duties.

Old 01-14-2011, 04:06 PM   #47
ShadowAceD
Self-sacrificing only applies to those that are eaten while in the throes of passion. XD

But nice try.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:07 PM   #48
crotalusadamanteus
Glad to hear he's doing better for you, and ready to get back to business. Can't blame the guy for being a guy though. If it was available, I'd try to get as much as I could too.

Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #49
Helenthereef
Glad to hear that he's going to make it.

I had a sadder experience a few months back, trying to breed my large female Fiji boa with four (much) smaller males (multiple males are supposed to be "the thing" with Candoia).

I'd been closely supervising, and things has been hotting up, but my fatal mistake was to leave them for the weekend. I came back to a dead female, and post-mortem exam not showing any other apparent case of death I have to presume one of them strangled her in the melee.

Won't be doing that again - in fact I am off breeding for the indefinite future... (Well I always have been, but you know what I mean...)

Old 01-19-2011, 07:00 PM   #50
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
I had a sadder experience a few months back, trying to breed my large female Fiji boa with four (much) smaller males (multiple males are supposed to be "the thing" with Candoia).
Oh Helen, I am so sorry to hear about this! I know how excited you were for that breeding. (heck, it was exciting just hearing about it)

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!