what do you feed your ball pythons? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: where do you get your feeders?
breed my own mice/rats 4 17.39%
breed my own asfs 3 13.04%
get from local supplier of rats/mice 9 39.13%
get from local supplier asfs 0 0%
buy rats/mice online 1 4.35%
buy asfs online 0 0%
breed own mice/rats and asfs 5 21.74%
buy mice/rats and asfs 1 4.35%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #1
benwallage9
what do you feed your ball pythons?

I have two ball pythons that are problem feeders. They are getting close to 800 grams but only take one mouse every two weeks, sometimes they wait longer. I know this is normal for bps but I'm trying to get my bigger het pied female who is an 08 up to breeding size for this next season. I think that if i get her on asfs (African soft fur rats) that she will be more likely to eat them and i will have a better chance of getting her up to 1500 grams. So if you know of an asf breed in oregon please let me know, also if you know of a website online that sells asfs please let me know.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
gsrept
if she is hooked on mice it will be tuff to swap and female pieds are known to be slow feeders once they hit that range one of my buddies has three pied females that size and they shut down for a couple weeks then eat and then shut down for what ever reason the pied females are just a royal pain.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #3
bradleymoore
from my experiences... it's easier to get a snake to go from asfs to rats, than mice to rats... i feed all 3 and breed only mice and asfs... rats stink too much, so i just get them from someone else.

Old 07-07-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
benwallage9
I haven't heard that female pieds will go on feeding strikes thanks for the tip. Anyone else have any feed back, preferably where they get there asfs?

Old 07-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Breaking Balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleymoore View Post
from my experiences... it's easier to get a snake to go from asfs to rats, than mice to rats... i feed all 3 and breed only mice and asfs... rats stink too much, so i just get them from someone else.
I've never heard that before in my life. Mice are the stinkiest animals I've ever kept. My 1.3 of mice stinks worse that 5 tubs of 1.4 of rats.

I breed my own food so that I know my snakes are eating the best they possibly can nutritionally in any size and as often as they like. I'm feeding 13 snakes currently with multiple more on the way I use 2 x 6 concrete bin rat racks and a handful of tanks for the mice.

Regards,

B

Old 07-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Sephiroth666
Ball Pthon feeding

I have two normal Ball Pythons. Not sure on weight but my male is at least 40 inches and my female is 52in. They went off feed back in the winter for about four months. Before that i was feeding my female large or jumbo rats. (She could take em) and my male was on larger sized medium rats. if you can not find asfs for your snakes and they are only eating mice now, i would try Gerbil's. Most pet stores have them and you could probably get 2 Gerbils for $20, maybe even a little less. if you don't have the money for that get a pair and breed them if it is an option for you. I went to wal-mart and picked up two 20 gallon tanks cheap just so i could breed rats for my snakes. (Yess i know rats shouldn't really be kept in tanks but i don't even keep mine for more than a few weeks.) Both snakes are now feeding regularly again on regular sized medium and large rats, so once a week or shortly there after (whenever i get the chance to get a rat to them.) i handle my snakes briefly before feeding and normally feed them out of the tank. (Though their enclosure has more than enough room to feed.) I have gone to pre-killing the rats before feeding. Once they started feeding this year the easiest way i was getting my Ball Pythons to take their rats is by trying to make them want to strike at it. (try and get them to bite, even if it's defensively) They will more than likely take it and eat it if they haven't eaten in a normal amount of time and are hungry. Snakes aren't the brightest creatures, but most won't let themselves starve unless something is really wrong. So they will eat when ready. i hope some of this might help someone and good luck with your snakes(= Happy Herping!(;

Old 07-07-2011, 09:29 PM   #7
benwallage9
thanks for the advise guys... I have been thinking about breeding asfs since i know they are pretty low odor, and easy to care for, but i'm a college student and don't really have the room for a setup up i was hoping someone would know where to buy online at the very least....

Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 AM   #8
Breaking Balls
Try pm'ing snakesRkewl

I know he bred ASF's and recently moved down to Oregon. He might either have them or be able to send you in the right direction.

Regards,

B

Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 AM   #9
snakesRkewl
We have some, but not a lot to sell for feeders.
I could hook you up with young groups if you desired.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
benwallage9
I appreciate all the help, i just don't have room for a breeding colony right now otherwise i would start one.... thanks anyway

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!