need help... sick? a lost cause? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-18-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
Snake-Queen
need help... sick? a lost cause?

I bought a few baby bps a year ago (I know now I shouldn't have)... all but one died; theone that is left has barely grown in a year (she does eat, only pinkies though ) that isn't really my issue at the moment ... she has fluid under her skin, she has had no injury that I can see (fluid has been there for a few months now)
I am curious to know what would cause this. There are two "pockets" of fluid, one on either side of her body near the tail ... one is fairly big. It is like her skin is not adhering to her muscles.

This poor thing has been through a lot in her life and I want to do what I am able to for her.

Any advice or clues as to the issue, I would appreciate.

*she is on reptibark with belly heat in a ten gallon. She has a hide and a water bowl.

**edit** dislike the predictive words on my Kindle.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
ReptileGeek181
Could you post pictures of the pockets?

I know you said there's fluid in these pockets, but could they be subcutaneous worms or parasites in these pockets? Or maybe the pockets were caused by a burn?

Old 07-18-2012, 11:52 PM   #3
hhmoore
Can't really do more than offer guesses based on that description...would you be able to post clear pictures, so we can see what you are talking about?

I'm curious why you feel you shouldn't have bought them, why the others died, and why you are just asking now (if the "fluid"has been there for a few months)?

Old 07-19-2012, 12:03 AM   #4
Shadera
I remember reading about something that sounded similar on another forum. the animal was small, failed to thrive, and had the pockets you describe. With a vet visit, it was determined to be blister disease.

I'd get her to a vet, to see what they think.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:19 AM   #5
Snake-Queen
I feel I should have bought them, because I later found out that they were probably "farm" bred. Two of the others died from blister disease, so that isn't it on her. I will get clear pictures in the morning. The other two failed to eat. They were hatchings when I got them.

Harald, I kept meaning to but so many things have been going on that it slipped my mind. Not an excuse, an explination. I also had a vet tech friend suggest draining them. (scared of doing that).

To explain it a little better, her skin slids on her muscle or lower dermis level. The area between this seems to be filled with fluid & a little blood. At first I thought it was a bruise, as she had wedged herself in her tote between the lid and lip of the tote ... which is why I moved her to a tank.

I will post pictures tomorrow, thank you all.

Old 07-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #6
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
I remember reading about something that sounded similar on another forum. the animal was small, failed to thrive, and had the pockets you describe. With a vet visit, it was determined to be blister disease.

I'd get her to a vet, to see what they think.
My first two thoughts were abcess and blisters...but I wouldn't hazard a guess without more to go on (I'm not real big on guesswork, probably because I like being right too much, lol)

Old 07-19-2012, 12:45 AM   #7
hhmoore
Melissa,
I don't think that farmed BPs are in the don't buy category...but purchasing unstarted babies comes with risks.
"Blister disease" is generally associated with improper, or poor, husbandry; though there can be other causes.
You specified that she eats pinkies - is that because you were assist/force feeding them, that's all she would take, or that's all you offered? I ask that because pinks are pretty small for an average sized baby ball python...I know that the feeding isn't your area of concern right now; but I'm one that feels a good history is part of figuring out what the problem is (especially since physically examining the snake isn't a possibility)

Old 07-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #8
Snake-Queen
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhmoore View Post
Melissa,
I don't think that farmed BPs are in the don't buy category...but purchasing unstarted babies comes with risks.
"Blister disease" is generally associated with improper, or poor, husbandry; though there can be other causes.
You specified that she eats pinkies - is that because you were assist/force feeding them, that's all she would take, or that's all you offered? I ask that because pinks are pretty small for an average sized baby ball python...I know that the feeding isn't your area of concern right now; but I'm one that feels a good history is part of figuring out what the problem is (especially since physically examining the snake isn't a possibility)
I have to assist feed, she wont strike on her own & when I try anything larger she refuses to eat it. With pinks she will eat 2 & I add vitamins to one of them once a month. She is a very sporadic feeder.

Old 07-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
Snake-Queen
Only one picture was clear. My picture taking abilities need some work it appears.
The first one is the clearest. She is actually looking a little better (aside from being a little dry looking ) the fluid seems to be only on one side now.

I would take her to the vet, but unfortunately the funds just aren't there at the moment. The fluid doesn't seem to bother her and she has been defecating normally for at least 6 months now. (yeah, she is a basket case of a snake)
Attached Images

Old 07-19-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
hhmoore
I can see the areas to which you've referred; but, honestly, it is difficult to tell much with the snake in that condition. To start with, you need to hydrate that snake - I'd start with a forced soak...overnight (at least), in appropriate temps. Hopefully, that will loosen the shed enough that it will slough by itself, or soften it enough to enable you to remove it. If there is more than one layer there, it might be a more difficult process...but I'd recommend making the effort (work carefully around the fluid area; and check any fluid that might come out).

Was she shedding normally before you switched her to a tank?
How does her belly look? Any reddened, browned, or deteriorating ventral scales?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!