Flagyl / pancur for imported babies need help folks - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-15-2004, 12:34 PM   #1
JungleHabitats
Question Kill Bill

Old 06-15-2004, 03:38 PM   #2
KelliH
Alan-

Your best option is to see a vet and have he/she perform a cloacal swab or wash and then analyze it under a microscope so you can know what sort of parasite (if any) you are dealing with.

Outside of that you can try giving flagyl by tubing it down into their stomach. Since they are puking it probably would not be of any value to inject the flagyl into the feeder rodent.

Dosages I have here for flagyl are 0.1cc per 12.5 grams of body weight.

However, if the animal has a virus or bacterial infection, flagyl is going to have no effect on the animal. Flagyl only treats flagellated protozoans not worms, bacterial infections, viruses etc.

FYI- The panacure dosage I have here is 40-50 mg/kg.

Other helpful items:

KG kilogram (1000 grams or 2.2 pounds)
MG milligram (1 MG = 0.001 gram)
25 mg = 1cc

Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 06-15-2004, 04:49 PM   #3
robin d.
alan why kind of boas are we talking bout here?
in some species the panacure dosing is very critical and the age.... babies will roll very quickly with an overdose however minute it is... also panacure is hard on the system of babies especially and generally you need to mix it with turkey based baby food and some pedialite. best bet is a vet.
i have alot heard that emmies can be very touchy to panacure and also bcc

Old 06-15-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
robin d.
also, another tratment option is ivermec BUT it is HARSH and IMO needs to be administered buy a qualified vet.... overdosing is VERY easy on any snakes and ivermec only is needed for certain types of parasites and if you do not have those DONT use it

Old 06-15-2004, 05:08 PM   #5
robin d.
crap my post on panacur was ment to be flagyl;... i have been on a constant brain fart rollercoaster lately
panacure is "relitively safe" which flagy is what i was speqaking bout in my other thread sorry

Old 06-15-2004, 05:15 PM   #6
robin d.
have you expressed your disatisfaction to MNR? how long have you had the animals?
most people do a "shotgun" worming anyhow and generally only use panacure and some use flagyl... depending on the type of parasite it may not even have helped. how long had he had these animals prior to sending them to you? enough time to even know if they ate or regurged? and it sucks that this has happened but if its a "fresh: import this is alot of times is whats associated with em... a parasite load from hell

Old 06-15-2004, 06:26 PM   #7
robin d.
doesnt matter how clean his buddies place is in miami... the parasites come from being in the wild and when they are farmed or trapped and imported the levels of stress become so high that the animals imune system is lowered and that when the problems arise... i would suspect they live with these parasites their whole lives and experience little to no ill effects (unless they are exposed to a virus or some sort of disease)... did you ask him if any had regurged with in the time he had them? this much later you really can not get a refund or anything so you are now going to have to pay the bill for a vet check fecal float and general exam and medications. when boas regurge you should wait a minmum of 14 (21 days is better) before feeding them again so they can establish the correct gut flora and after the first regurge you would want to offer them a significantly smaller prey item until they can hold it down or be taken to a vet
good luck alan

Old 06-15-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
LOSTNCONFUSED
hello
are these the same babies that just the other day he was claiming were produced just down the block from his house in miami?? sounds like a bad guy post is in order try flagyl for 5 days then follow up after 5 days with nutibact dont go with the panicure your self make sure a vet helps you with that if needed wait 14 days before you try feeding them again and make sure that the temps are within the proper ranges also how are you houseing the babies? if you need any help feel free to email me at xxxjohnnyblazexx@aol.com
thanks
john peraza

Old 06-15-2004, 07:00 PM   #9
robin d.
what kinda import bci for that sum of money? i cant think of many bci except for some localities (of legit origin) what were the like wc hypos or something?

Old 06-17-2004, 07:11 AM   #10
AZ Dragoon
Alan, hope you have your problem rectified by now, but in the meantime, I would like to discuss flagyl some more. Some local breeders had apparently caused sterility/reproduction problems in some colubrids from overdosing their snakes with this medication. Have anyone else heard of or had this problem with flagyl? The few times I have used it, I have always been light on the dosage administered except with a very light cream colored, orange tail blotches, imported common BC I picked up in 84 for the original albino BC project. The protozoans got so out of with her that she began regurging everything within a month of purchase and was becoming very lethargic. This occurred in a relatively short time with not much warning besides the regurging and I was forcing her for growth purposes. I took her to a vet even though I was quite capable of treating her myself, but did not want to risk losing her (what great heteros she would have produced if I did not leave the herp field!).

Kevin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!