Flagyl / pancur for imported babies need help folks - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-17-2004, 12:57 PM   #11
Jerry Dorgan
MnR

Maybe BriarPatch can get Mike's attention...lol.
Seriously Alan, I hope you get something worked out, those are beautiful babies.

Old 06-17-2004, 02:05 PM   #12
robin d.
honestly alan, it being two months later or whatbot they do not have to do a single thing if you were not happy they had not been dewormed even after he sent them you should have sent them back asap... maybe yall could have worked out something then. it being this long he doesnt have to do anything and also when buying fresh imports you have to be aware even if they had been deparitised prior to him sending them they still could be having these same problems. correct worming takes place over several weeks an initial first does a week later (some people wait two) then the second dose and finally the third a week latr (again some people wait two). one shot gun worming wouldnt have rid them from parasites just killed any of the live ones but possibly not all and not any eggs.

as far as it is to my understanding on flagyl it is easy to overdose and depending on the animal whether adult or neonate. different species of animals process the medications differently seems like based on the type of metabolism they have and the type of snake they are... the doages for boa constrictor and the dosages for pythons differ and i would assume the same with colubrids as well.. and even let says with in the python family, chonmdros can not take the same dosing as lets say a ball python. what treats obe animal may very well kill another and another factor i have heard of is oral dosing vs. injections.... oral seems to work much better and safer than injected meds

Old 06-17-2004, 11:35 PM   #13
LOSTNCONFUSED
hello alan
if you dont mind me askin how did you pay for these guys?if by credit card do a charge back maybe that will get his attention
also if you didnt get timely responses from him why did you send him any money? try giveing the babies some nutribact and waiting 2-3 days before you feed them again maybe this will help them keep the meals down
john peraza

Old 06-18-2004, 12:00 AM   #14
AZ Dragoon
fertility problems

Robin, we all know colubrids are "tough" snakes and if infertility can result in the over usage of flagyl in that family it certainly could be a problem with boids too. I basically just wanted to throw this possibility out here for others to be aware of. It would be a shame to see someone spend voocoo dollars on baby boas and then find out when they are adults that they are worthless as breeders.

Kevin

Old 06-18-2004, 02:43 AM   #15
robin d.
alan,
maybe i have misundersttod the timeline but i was going on what you stated earlier in the thread

Quote:
I got them to my place on the 18th of April
sorry

Old 06-29-2004, 11:56 AM   #16
AZ Dragoon
Not sure of the name, but I had a powder substance referred to me by Frank Retes (he and Ernie Wagner are the ones who started the whole reptile breeding scene). This was a yellow powder substance available from a local veterinarian supply shop used for treating turkeys and was dissolved in water and either administered in food animals or drinking water or both. Frank swore by it and would always offer in drinking water to newly arrived snakes whether or not they were ill in some way. I used it as habit in treating imported BC and it did appear to get them on feed, but I do not think it had ever been clinically tested or recommeded for reptiles up to that time, 70's - early 80's.

I would withhold the drinking water for 2-3 days and then offer the water mixed with this powder solution for 2-4 days straight before replacing with fresh water/medication. Never had a problem with any signs of toxicity even in treating a Sistrurus catenatus with double doses by the food animal method.

Forgot the name of it and may not be what you are referring to, but thought I would throw it out here anyway.

Old 06-29-2004, 12:54 PM   #17
AZ Dragoon
Cleaning solution ?!!

I don't think I would touch it!
The only potent cleaning solution I have ever used is dilluted bleach on empty cages/water bowls. Are you saying some are using this mixed in drinking water to treat animals?

Kevin
No janitor here

Old 06-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #18
LOSTNCONFUSED
i have heard of nolvisan being used in drinking water but dont quite remember what for exactly as for flagyl its supposed to be used daily for 5 days at a dosage of 50mg/kg you may want to ask about the nolvisan on the k.s boa forum or jeff ronnes think tank just to be sure

Old 06-29-2004, 06:26 PM   #19
robin d.
flagy used in the correct suspension, should be used one time week over the course of three weeks some people will do it three dosings over six weeks (one dosing every two weeks). the reason for this type of dosing is to kill of any of the parasites (initial dosing) get any ones that lived or that were eggs and hatched (second dosing) and to make sure you got all of them (third dosing). flagyl over a five day span may kill the parasites present, but will not kille the eggs most lioekly and the incubation for the eggs i bet is more than five days... so essentially your not doing too much good and in essence you would will have parasites after its all said and done, that is if the dosing of flagyl (over five consecutive days)doesnt kill the animal first.
flagyl can be VERY toxic and should be used and dosed as such, overdosing a snake on flagyl is horrible to see.

also their are several different suspentions of flagyl, different manufacturers that cut it with different substances.

also during treatment of flagyl the animals needs to be well hydrated and its wise to make sure they have something in their stomach, on neonates we have used a mixture of pedialite and turkey baby food.

panacure is much "safer" but i would imagine anything in too much a quantity is a bad thing as well.

oral dosing is better than, injection dosing.... sometomes injection site sores can occur and you need to know how to give the animals a shot wether it be SQ or IM... some people say the first third of the body others say the last third.. i figure oral is much less stress on the animals and overall health of it.

alan as far as the novelsan... i would steerclear of that at least til you find out a bit more, this type of "treatment" doesnt sounds right...... letting an animal ingest a chemical used to cleaning and disinfecting???

you need to get you some nutri bac for sure, a must

Old 06-29-2004, 06:54 PM   #20
LOSTNCONFUSED
ummm i think your mistaken those flagyl doses is what roger klingenberg dvm recomends in both his book and the reptile parasite identification chart and formulary. i personally have used that dosage plenty of times with no ill effect to the animal and with extremly positive results. it does warn against such usage in colubrids though .as for a suspension i use ora plus oral suspending vehicle made by paddock laboratories

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!