Rodent Feed as Dubia Feed discussion - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
Focal
Rodent Feed as Dubia Feed discussion

Anyone else have success using this? I've been feeding my Dubia the shake and crumbs from the bottom of my Harlan/Native Earth rodent feed bags and they LOVE it. I do not keep anything that eats the Dubias so I have not had any experience as to whether this is a good alternative but I have given some to my buddy at work for his bearded who has had no complaints. The colony seems to thrive and I have very few deaths which seem to be expired adults.

The protein is 18% and fat is 5%, I believe. It appears the top ingredients are ground wheat, ground corn, wheat middlings, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, soybean oil. I suppliment with oranges.

I know some won't care because they are "just bugs" and others may be biased because they sell roach feed, but I would like honest opinions on what you use as a general feed, the pro's/con's of the above, good/bad food for roaches, or other beneficial information.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #2
allreptiles1966
Its funny you talk about this. I came looking for a quality recipe and seen your ad.
Right now i am using the crumbs from my Mazuri,i add rabbit pellets and Blue Buffalo dog food. Thats all natural and holistic so i believe it is ok. My dubia also love this and i have been selling some to a couple lizard keepers who were using crickets.It seems the lizards love it and the customers come back for more. Also told they are eating less of the dubia then crickets,which is expected.
I have been feeding to my Savi,scorpions and t's who all eat with gusto. All are plump looking so i think they get the nutrition they need. But just the rat feed might not have enough protein ?. If so,they might grow a lot slower or have to eat more of it ?
But i would like to know more also.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Shadera
I've seen the stuff for sale, and wondered if it was any good for them. I don't raise roaches, but will always be looking for ways to recoup on the feed bill for the rats, especially when I'll be going back into using two bags of feed a week and the local feed mill rat feed produces about 5 pounds of powder per bag. Is it worth putting it up for sale, will people actually buy it?

So your bugs do well on it?

Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
allreptiles1966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
I've seen the stuff for sale, and wondered if it was any good for them. I don't raise roaches, but will always be looking for ways to recoup on the feed bill for the rats, especially when I'll be going back into using two bags of feed a week and the local feed mill rat feed produces about 5 pounds of powder per bag. Is it worth putting it up for sale, will people actually buy it?

So your bugs do well on it?

Mine are doing great. I dont know about using just rat food alone. If you use fruit and veggies too, you'll be better then just the rat food.
Thats a lot of powder per 50lbs. Bummer huh.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
Focal
I was using just rat food for a few months and it was working great. A buddy got out of dubias and gave me a big bag of chick feed and I've been mixing the two. I've been feeding them to my tarantula and my buddy from work has a bearded that loves them. I've been feeding them to a couple pacman frogs I got a couple weeks ago and they gobble them up too. I have more roaches than I know what to do with and have been giving them away. I say the rat food has been working pretty good since I started using it.

Old 09-07-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
John Capurso
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
...and the local feed mill rat feed produces about 5 pounds of powder per bag.
And that's likely for a 40 pound bag. Native Earth produces pounds of powder also.

Quote:
Is it worth putting it up for sale, will people actually buy it?
Ask Rich.

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...d.php?t=342740

Old 09-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #7
Shadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen Pets View Post
And that's likely for a 40 pound bag. Native Earth produces pounds of powder also.
This is Pfau feeds. Another local friend who uses it says he tosses out about 50 pounds of powder a week. Yikes, that's so much wasted. I'll probably mix it with Mazuri to bring down my feed costs, since Mazuri is $30 a bag here and this local stuff is only $17.

Thanks for the info guys. I might have to start raising bugs!

Old 09-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #8
Snake-Queen
I currently use a mixture of chick feed (which I use as bedding for my crickets) and natural balance cat food, along with yellow squash, greens and water crystals.

They seem to like it. I know my dragons go insane when I feed them roaches. so it must be ok for the roaches to eat.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:00 PM   #9
Cat_Eyed_Lady
I also use the powder from the rodent blocks for my dubia. I put the powder in with crushed types of cereal, mineral and calcium powders. Plus greens and fruits. My dubia are doing abit Too well LOL Produce more than my guy can eat so I give the extras to a friend.

I had gotten this tip about the rodent powder from the person I got my adults from. He raises the dubia for his Chams. Seems to really work!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!