business question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > General Herp Talk

Notices

General Herp Talk Can't figure out where to post down in the other discussion forums? Too many options and too complicated? Well post your herp related messages here and to heck with it.

Old 05-18-2004, 07:55 PM   #1
snakekid13
business question

Hi I am starting a reptile breeding business im 13 and i already breed leo geckos, amazon tree boas, rosy boas and blood pythons. I was wondering what you guys think would be a good snake thats in demand and is in the 200 to 300 dollar range. Me and my mom are planning on joining businesses. ( Shes in advertisement) and she's willing to help me get this started let me know what would be a good species for this please no ball pythons and cornsnakes. Let me know im real curious about this. Also it can be something you guys would like to see more often that you think would sell good. Let me know im open to all suggestions.

Old 05-21-2004, 03:17 PM   #2
Luchog
If you're looking to make money selling herps, then don't bother. There are too many people doing it already, the market is too small, and breeding herps is a very time-consuming and expensive process. If you're not in the business simply because you love it, then you're going to be one of the many bad breeders.

If you really want to get into it, find something you love working with, and go from there. The Bob Clarks of the herp world are extremely rare, and require years and years of work to get to that point. You say no ball pythons or cornsnakes, but the biggest sellers are ball python and cornsnake morphs (of course, those are also the areas with the most competition).

Since you're only 13, I'd say you are far too young to get into selling herps. Spend about 5 years learning about them, how to care for them, how to breed and raise them, and how to deal with problems. Then see if you're interested in actually making a life out of running a herp business; otherwise, as I said before, you'll become one of the bad ones, instead of one of the good ones.

Old 05-21-2004, 05:07 PM   #3
Glenn Bartley
Quote:
Since you're only 13, I'd say you are far too young to get into selling herps. Spend about 5 years learning about them, how to care for them, how to breed and raise them, and how to deal with problems.
If what the young herper has told us is correct, I think he probably knows more than enough about the snakes he is already keeping, I mean I never heard it said the Blood Pythons were the easiest hatchlings to rear.
Quote:
i already breed leo geckos, amazon tree boas, rosy boas and blood pythons.
I am guessing that if he has been breeding them already, he would also be capable of selling them especially with an adult's help.

Quote:
If you're looking to make money selling herps, then don't bother.
As to not making money it may be right, that is another thing. Of course I know many people who breed and sell baby herps in order to help pay the expenses of their hobby as opposed to earning a livable wage.

As for the original question I would recommend Emerald Tree Boas. I think you can pick some up in your price range, though they may prove more expensive. Whenever I have seen these at shows in the last few years I have seen them sell fairly to very well.

Goodluck.

Best regards,
Glenn B

Old 05-23-2004, 02:35 AM   #4
pinhed
I would also have to say emerald tree boas. Not easy to come by and they will sell quickly if not overpriced.

Amozon tree boas i hear have alot of health problems (mostly respritory) you say you have succesfully bred these(and kept them alive in good health???). If so you should not have much trouble with ETB's.

Old 05-31-2004, 09:53 PM   #5
snakekid13
Thanks and im not too young to sell herps cause i already do lol. I have a table at 3 arlington Tx shows every year i was just wanting to know what you guys would like to see more often. Also im not in it for the money im in it cause i love herps and its a good excuse to keep alot of the animals i love. Plus i'd never rip off a person with one of my animals i've been scammed to many times to make anyone else have to go through that. And i've never had uri problems with my amazons i think the mistake most people make with them is keeping it to humid cause they think well they live in the amazon so it must be humid. But since they are arborial its a little harder to replicate the same humidity in a cage. And my mom doesnt help me sell them she doesnt know anything about them she just does the signs and business cards. I hope i've changed your mind about younger breeders and thanks for the advice on emerald tree boas im definately going to look in to that. Later Eric

Old 06-06-2004, 01:16 PM   #6
dwedeking
Quote:
If you're looking to make money selling herps, then don't bother.
Actually this is false. According to an article in the Pet Industry News last year, the reptile/amphibian market is the only sector of the pet industry with solid growth. Due to many social/economic factors I feel you will see an increase in the attraction to reptiles by the general public.

Now with all small businesses more fail than succeed. This is not the fault of the industry they choose necessarily but usually due to poor funding (I feel this one ) and poor planning. I believe the secret is to attack a niche market or service the general market in a unique way. This way you are not battling the larger more established companies head on.

Frankly, I am very impressed that a 13 year old would take the time to do market research and plan on how to run his business, a lot better than some of the 30+ year olds into reptiles who are too young to run a business.

My personal/professional opinion is that the more common animals (corns and pythons) provide a very solid base of income that helps with the funding part of the equation. If you have cash reserves that will hold you over during the slow periods then attacking a niche market (such as ETBs) can also be profitable. Build a spreadsheet considering factors such as maintenance costs, start up costs (breeder buys) and expected returns (I usually run high return numbers and low return numbers to assure survival in both good and bad times). Space will also be a consideration, "normal" animals will need to be done in volume to generate a decent profit margin.

Old 06-06-2004, 05:06 PM   #7
snakekid13
Thanks for the info dwedeking i've decided to breed either etb's or tiger and super tiger retics. Im trying to breed something that not many breeders have due to less competition= more sales. And dont get me wrong i dont sell to just everyone and im not in it just for the money. i will question a buyer about the snakes care before i sell it to them i want my snakes to thrive not be malnurished. Thanks and get back to me of what you think would sell better the retics or etb's the only reason im considering the retics are that etb's teeth are kind of intimidating lol.

Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #8
pinhed
Personally i think the etb's will sell better because retics get entirely to big. People may buy them when babys but when it gets to big for them it will most likely be abandoned. I see people all the time trying to give their retics away after they got to big and had no luck selling.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:02 PM   #9
snakekid13
Thats very true i didnt think about that i had a brain fart. My main question is are etb's similar to breed as Atbs because i have had success breeding the atb's but i've heard the ETB's can be tricky also how many neonates do they give birth too? I was also thinking it seems like gtps are more popular then ETB's are they harder to breed or what i've also noticed they probably have more baby's due to them laying eggs. Just let me know what you think im just making sure i invest in the right things.

Old 06-06-2004, 11:05 PM   #10
snakekid13
I was also thinking with the retics if i sell super tigers and normal tigers then someone who buys it is probably going to be a more experienced keeper. I mean think about it what are you going to take better care of a $400 super tiger retic $40 normal retic which one is more likely to be abandoned?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!