High End Herps (Inquiry) - Page 10 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:28 PM   #91
fuscusking13
Opps...

Toward the end of my last post I said "them some" and meant then some, don't want to look like a complete idiot, just figured I would correct myself as you can not edit a post in here. Dan M.

Old 01-09-2007, 04:52 PM   #92
DThomas
It would seem Damon has some unfinished business in Arizona regarding the 30+ alligators he was caught transporting through the state in the back of a moving van. This is in addition to the driving on a suspended license charge he received. Seems he doesn't want to "face the music" and fled the state. He has a couple of warrants out for his arrest. Just follow the link and search on his name. It's all right there.

http://www.supreme.state.az.us/publi.../search.asp?id=

Old 01-09-2007, 05:05 PM   #93
varnyard
David, care to comment? I have not posted on this thread until now. I was somehow looking for you to prove your case. However, it looks like the further this goes, the worse you look.

I have pulled my vote on the GGC pole, I will not support such actions.

BTW, welcome back Doc, it is dang good to see ya!! Great job pulling up this info Doc, you too Dennis!!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:16 PM   #94
Scott Ashton
Quote:
Originally Posted by varnyard
David, care to comment? I have not posted on this thread until now. I was somehow looking for you to prove your case. However, it looks like the further this goes, the worse you look.

I have pulled my vote on the GGC pole, I will not support such actions.

BTW, welcome back Doc, it is dang good to see ya!! Great job pulling up this info Doc, you too Dennis!!
The absolute failure to address any concerns that have been raised has caused me to cast a negative vote.

All we have seen thus far are "press releases" with more spin than a top.

I will change my vote if my suspicions are proved wrong, but at this point - I do not believe that High End Herps has demonstrated that a "Good Guy" endorsement by this community is warranted.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:28 PM   #95
Griz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ashton
The absolute failure to address any concerns that have been raised has caused me to cast a negative vote.

All we have seen thus far are "press releases" with more spin than a top.

I will change my vote if my suspicions are proved wrong, but at this point - I do not believe that High End Herps has demonstrated that a "Good Guy" endorsement by this community is warranted.
I second that Scott.

Griz

Old 01-09-2007, 05:35 PM   #96
Dr Owens
The failure to appear warrants that were issued for Damon were issued as a result of citations received during this incident:
http://kvoa.com/Global/story.asp?S=3230463&nav=HMO5Yq7w

The article quoted:
Quote:
Authorities find alligators, snakes being transported in RV trailer
April 19, 2005 10:53 AM

Authorities have found 32 alligators and about 50 boa constrictors being hauled in an RV trailer along an Arizona interstate.

State Department of Public Safety officials said Damon Heynen, 38, was driving a truck towing an RV trailer on Interstate 10 Sunday night when he was pulled over for a faulty taillight.Upon investigating the trailer, DPS found 32 alligators and about 50 boa constrictors in cages.Authorities said most of the gators were small but one was more than 8-feet long and weight about 400 pounds.The trailer also included three desert tortoises and several rats and chickens.Heynen told DPS he was moving from California to Georgia and taking the animals with him.Heynen was cited for driving on a suspended license and asked to repair the taillight.Arizona Game and Fish officials were investigating the incident since it's against state law to possess an alligator without a permit.Fish and Game officials seized the reptiles, which have been were placed in the care of the Phoenix Herpetological Society.
Damon was moving from CA to the southeastern United States in April of 2005. Interestingly, David and High End Herps "suddenly appeared" on the herp scene (living in LA) in the summer of 2005.

Old 01-09-2007, 05:45 PM   #97
Wraith
Quote:
Damon was moving from CA to the southeastern United States in April of 2005. Interestingly, David and High End Herps "suddenly appeared" on the herp scene (living in LA) in the summer of 2005.

I'm wondering if he is even in Louisiana. All of the posts he made so far this month on kingsnake have a Houston TX dial up IP. Last time I looked at a map, that's about 200 miles or so away from his supposed Oakdale, LA location. And it's not like dial up IPs are so far and few between that you have to pick one 200 miles away in another state to get internet access.

dialup-4.230.93.111.dial1.houston1.level3.net at 4.230.93.111
dialup-4.230.93.180.dial1.houston1.level3.net at 4.230.93.180
dialup-4.230.93.243.dial1.houston1.level3.net at 4.230.93.243
dialup-4.230.93.78.dial1.houston1.level3.net at 4.230.93.78
dialup-4.230.93.172.dial1.houston1.level3.net at 4.230.93.172
dialup-4.230.93.230.dial1.houston1.level3.net at 4.230.93.230
dialup-4.230.93.94.dial1.houston1.level3.net at 4.230.93.94
dialup-4.230.93.248.dial1.houston1.level3.net at 4.230.93.248

Adrian

Old 01-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #98
Dennis Hultman
Quote:
Originally Posted by High End Herps Inc
Why hasn’t anyone ever simply picked up the telephone and called to ask us personally about any of this?

But we have received no telephone calls,
Tawni Beauchemin
Your number isn't working!

Old 01-09-2007, 05:49 PM   #99
Dr Owens
Here's another article that mentions the same incident:
http://www.azstarnet.com/sn/crime/78374.php

Quoted: (I took the liberty of highlighting the key parts of the article.)
Quote:
Exotic snakes, alligators could turn up in your neighborhood

By Tony Davis

Arizona Daily Star

Tucson, Arizona | Published: 06.05.2005

Picture a triple-axle trailer crammed with a man's worldly possessions, including 15 pet alligators running loose under a bed and 17 others packed in cages, passing through Casa Grande in the dead of night.

Now, picture a single alligator, 4 1/2 feet long, living in a 40-gallon metal container - in a Tucson dentist's bedroom.

Or, there's the milky-white, albino diamondback rattlesnake, imported from Texas, 6 feet long, nicknamed Lucifer and so mean that his guardian won't open his cage except to give him food.

Slowly but surely, these exotic beasts are slithering into the Arizona desert.

Arizona Game and Fish law enforcement agents and other officials say they have seen an influx of alligators, cobras, imported diamondbacks, vipers and other illegal creatures in recent years.

The number of exotic pets seized by the agency or sparking complaints isn't huge - about 115 cases statewide since 2000, including about a half-dozen alligators a year.

But investigators say complaints are rising as the state's population grows, causing concern about threats both to public safety - what's living next door to you? - and to the natural environment.

"The crux of the problem is that people are importing all sorts of critters, from all over the globe, with no regard to the regulations, and animals are being released either accidentally or intentionally," said Hans Koenig, a Tucson-based field supervisor for Game and Fish.

Agents are also concerned that they are only scratching the surface in the exotic animal trade, said John Romero, Game and Fish's law enforcement chief in Tucson. Because these pets are popular, easy to import and conceal and the state lacks staffing to catch all violators, "we have no idea of the magnitude of the problem," Koenig said.

In 1989, he and two other Game and Fish officials burst into what Koenig calls a "roomful of death" - a South Phoenix bedroom full of caged venomous snakes, the majority imported. When they loaded the snakes into an SUV, they filled the vehicle, he recalls.

"He had puff adders from Africa, Levantine vipers from the Middle East, and tropical American rattlesnakes from Central America and Mexico," Koenig said last week. "I had never seen anything outside a zoo that even compared to that." Some more recent cases:

In mid-April, state Department of Public Safety officers stumbled upon Damon Heynen's gators and 50 other animals, including boa constrictors, when they stopped a truck pulling a trailer with a busted taillight. The gators, federally protected and illegal to possess in Arizona, ranged from 20 inches to 9 feet long. The bust occurred near Casa Grande, around 11 p.m. The 38-year-old Heynen told police that he was hauling the alligators from his previous home in San Bernardino, Calif., to a new home in Alabama, said Frank Valenzuela, a DPS spokesman.

● The very next day, Timothy Burkhardt of Tucson, 26, was found guilty in Pima County Justice Court of importing and possessing two albino diamondbacks he brought from California. He argued he should be able to keep them as pets because the rules were weak. Justice Carmen Dolny didn't fine Burkhardt. She set aside his conviction after he agreed to give up the rattlers. Koenig seized the snakes from a living room terrarium.

● In October 2004, Koenig and other agents seized three alligator-like caimans from the Northwest Side Tucson home of Allen Willingham. One floated in a small pond in front; the other two lurked in a backyard pool. Willingham later said he had gotten them from friends and didn't realize they were illegal. His court case is pending.

● In April 2004, Tucson dentist Dr. James L. Davenport II, now 44, pleaded guilty and agreed to a $200 fine on charges of possessing and importing restricted live wildlife. In November 2003, a Game and Fish agent seized his gator from the galvanized container covered by a piece of plywood in a bedroom, said agent Joel Weiss. Davenport, a Northwest Side resident, does not wish to discuss the case, said a secretary at his Northwest Side office. "The gator could have knocked the plywood off if he had wanted," said Weiss.

Alligators are a particularly big public safety issue, Romero said. "A 4-foot-long gator is really powerful. A kid could go up there and get bit easily," Romero said. "Those animals are nothing but muscle."

Game and Fish's Ken Dinquel is used to busting people for alligators, but finding 32 in the Casa Grande case was extraordinary. He seized them about 90 minutes after Highway Patrol officers found them.

"Visualize the scene. It was a fairly large trailer, the guy was moving everything he owned across the country, stacked top to bottom with clothes, luggage, boxes, a TV, appliances, power tools and welders. He stuck this stuff in wherever it would fit. It was just weird.

"My reaction was, 'Who is this guy and what is he doing with all these animals? Why does he have them in my state?' "

Nobody in authority knows the answer, because Heynen hasn't been seen by enforcement officials since the night of the bust. He missed a May 23 court hearing in Pinal County.

He probably will never stand trial in Arizona unless federal officials also pursue him for transporting protected wildlife across state lines. The state will not extradite him back to Arizona because the state charges against him are only misdemeanors.

But from handling other cases, authorities believe that peoples' basic need for wildness in an urban world drives many to buy these pets, said Koenig. Besides that, he added, "I think there is just the thrill of owning something that is illegal."

Exotic venomous snakes, such as cobras or vipers, are an even bigger problem than the gators because it's harder to find the owners and because they are so dangerous, Romero said. A lot of time the state finds them through informants or after getting domestic violence calls from police or sheriff's deputies, he said.

But a Florida dealer of exotic snakes said authorities would be better off cracking down on what he calls more risky activities, including high school football, horseback riding, dog bites and bicycling. Nationwide, about 15 poisonous snakebites occur annually, said Mark Lucas of the Fort Lauderdale area, compared with 205 fatal horse-related injuries, 27 fatal dog bites and 800 cycling fatalities.

So far, there've been two known cases of death or serious injury to Tucsonans from exotic reptile bites, both more than a decade ago.

In 1992, Lorain "Bud" Miller, a plumber, died about an hour after an albino diamondback from Texas bit him during a party. Miller, a Huns motorcycle club member with a history of excessive drinking, was drinking and playing games with the snake, recalled his brother, Harrison Miller, of Mason City, Iowa.

"Bud" Miller lived fast, hard and on the edge, and rattlesnakes were just a part of that lifestyle, Harrison Miller said. He wouldn't take orders from "any kind of authority."

Named Scratch, the 5 1/2-foot snake had lived in at least four households here, according to a written account of Miller's death by David Hardy, a Tucson herpetologist.

After the snake struck Miller on his hand, one of his friends gave him three electroshocks from a stun gun in a failed attempt to neutralize the bite.

Miller was keeping eight other diamondbacks besides the albino, and had been bitten four other times, not allowing any previous antivenin treatment "because he was saving it for the 'big one,' '' Hardy wrote.

In 1993, Tucsonan Layne Hendricks, then 35, lost part of his finger after his pet puff adder bit him as he was transferring it from one cage to another. Game and Fish seized the adder, 19 diamondbacks, 16 Mojave rattlesnakes and a saw-scaled viper. The adder and the saw-scaled viper are both exotic venomous snakes that are illegal to possess in Arizona. The state doesn't allow people to own more than four of any Arizona native reptile.

Hendricks' case shows how dicey the prospects are for someone bitten by an exotic venomous snake, said Dr. Leslie Boyer, the Arizona Poison Control Center's medical director, who handled the center's response to the bite.

First, there is no federally approved treatment for non-U.S.-bred exotic snakebites. Physicians must rely on imported drugs held by licensed zoos. Plus, the standard treatment for exotic snakebites can cause fatal allergic reactions, Boyer said.

It took 16 hours to get the antidote from a Dallas zoo to Tucson after Hendricks was bitten. By then, his entire arm was affected by the bite, Boyer said.

The bottom line: If you don't own a cobra, your odds of being bitten are about zero, Boyer said. But if you own one and haven't told anyone about it, you could be in serious trouble:

"The medical system is not prepared to give you the treatment you need."

Old 01-09-2007, 07:02 PM   #100
HerpVenue
Calling all High End Herps Customers.

If you were a customer of Beauchemin's before 2005 please come and post.

and SPECIALLY If you were a customer of theirs before 2003 please come and post. (and I do not mean experience with them when he called himself Heynen)

With about 36,661 members on this site. And with how big they claim to be. Someone somewhere had to do business with them during those time frames (if it were true).

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
brian smith, damon heynen, damon smith, high end herps, josh stewart