Missing Scale - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-12-2007, 09:53 AM   #1
filez41
Missing Scale

I have a 7 month all male ball python. He is roughly 320 grams, and eating f/t.

I just noticed last night that he is missing a scale along his neck on his spine, and a couple of other ones seem to be torn up. It looks like he tried to squeeze into a small space, gave up and backed up and pulled off a scale.

Also, a couple scaled on his belly catch my finger if I rub against the way they lie.

He just got out of a shed, and the humidity was high in his cage for about a week. It's back in acceptable ranges now.

my question is: do I need to take him to a vet, or will he be ok? it doesn't seem infected or red, but he's been a little more irritable than normal and doesn't like that part of his neck to be touched.
thanks for the help!

Old 05-12-2007, 10:00 AM   #2
Cat_72
I wouldn't think it's anything to be concerned about. If he's eating f/t, he probably did just what you said he did, backed up and decided to go the other way and caught a couple of scales....and it could be a little tender.

Is there anything you can see in his enclosure that he may have gotten hung up on?

Old 05-12-2007, 11:11 AM   #3
filez41
He's in a rack system, so he may have tried to squeeze out the top and failed. There's nothing sharp up there, but it's the only thing I can think of...
Other than that he has a log hutch which is rough, a water bowl and a black hide.

Old 05-12-2007, 01:37 PM   #4
filez41
Sorry, one more question. Will the scale grow back? Is that something that will happen over the next few sheds or is a gone scale gone for good?

Old 05-12-2007, 07:02 PM   #5
Dr Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by filez41
do I need to take him to a vet, or will he be ok?
There's not a whole lot to be done in a situation like this except to wait for healing to occur, and evidence of healing will not be physically visible until he sheds once or twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by filez41
Will the scale grow back?
Yes, unless the defect is extremely large.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:13 PM   #6
filez41
Thank you! that's a huge help.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!