Need help with Dumerils Boa! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:20 PM   #1
oest98
Need help with Dumerils Boa!

Hey guys,

I have a male Dumerils Boa that wont eat. I got him about 2 months ago and he looked healthy about 14" and fat, but wouldn't eat through quarantine and thought maybe he's just not adjusted yet. I set him up in an enclosure and to date he still hasn't accepted anything. I have the temps and humidity right as well as cypress mulch for him to hide in but now I am getting worried as he is getting extremely skinny. Are there any suggestions that you guy can give me? I know there are tricks to getting snakes to feed and any help would be appreciated... Oh and he hasn't defecated either.

Thanks in advance guys.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:31 PM   #2
constrictorcrazi74
What are you feeding him ? Baby dumerils tend to be a picky eater ive got a baby right now that will only eat live mice and he has to eat in his cage . And dont teez him with the food it ll stress him out and he wont eat throw the prey in there with him for a little while if its live make sure u dont leave it in there with him to long because they will chew him up.

Old 05-15-2007, 05:38 PM   #3
oest98
I've tried fuzzy rats/ mice live and frozen fuzzies... he showed no interest in any, I've offered once a week since I've gotten him. I've left the live ones in for 5-6 hour intervals. I've tried both feeding him in a small bin and also in his cage.

Old 05-16-2007, 03:44 AM   #4
hhmoore
1) What are the temps you are keeping them at? (no offense, but your saying they are right means nothing to me...too many people say that, and are wrong)
2) I agree that baby dumerils, more often than not, require the stimulation of live prey...and most prefer mice (the appropriate sized ones move more than similarly sized rats)
3) For a nonfeeder, you will probably do better with a hopper sized mouse (medium hopper to small adult). Once they are feeding regularly, it is usually not a problem to switch them to f/t or other types/sizes of prey.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:48 AM   #5
oest98
Hey dont worry, I understand...

1) I have him at 88 on the hot side and 77 on the cool side.

2) I've been trying live as much as I can since it was what was offered by the breeder, but thought maybe switching it would be benefitial...

3) I've been trying hoppers the last 3 weeks but this week I have a fuzzy rat tonght...due to what was available...

I talked to the breeder this evening and he is willing to trade for another snake, and he has provided excellent service, but I want to try to keep this snake alive... Any other suggestions?

Thanks again.

Old 05-16-2007, 04:55 AM   #6
hhmoore
What size/type enclosure is it in?
I would soak it for a while, make sure it is well hydrated...this will also encourage defecation.
That temp range should be fine, though I keep my babies at a more-or-less constant 84 degrees. Depending on the enclosure size, and the heating method, you may want to lower the high temp just a bit.
Other than that, prey size is a BIG factor...see my previous recommendation.

Old 05-16-2007, 05:14 AM   #7
oest98
I've read some previous posts and put him in a separate rubbermaid container approx 14" BY 24" with a towel over top. His regular enclosure is a 20 gallon long tank with basking spot, 1.25" of cypress mulch and 2 logs to hid under. I've been trying to feed him in his enclosure but have tried in the separate container twice. I will try to lower the temp a bit. I forgot to mention that he shed the 2nd week I had him in case that makes a difference.

Old 05-17-2007, 05:17 PM   #8
oest98
Joe and Harald I appreciate your help, but unfortunately he died this morning despite my best efforts. Thanks again!

Old 05-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #9
constrictorcrazi74
sorry for your loss . Where did u purchase him form ?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!