Mites in my invert zoo tanks...ahhhh! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:09 AM   #1
Raventears
Question Mites in my invert zoo tanks...ahhhh!

So, I have grueled through all of the threads and websites on mites on inverts and in their enclosures, and I am SOOO confused. They are all so contradictory. I have an infestation of tannish-brown mites all over the substrate in my emperor scorp enclosure and in some of my large T enclosures. I think they are granary or cricket mites, but don't know for sure and it is driving me crazy. I see none on any of the soft-tissue areas (joints, sides, necks) of any of the inverts, they are all over the substrate...especially the top of it but they go deeper when the top dries out. The only time I see a mite on any of the inverts it is just crawling around it...never stationary to make me think it is after the invert itself. Are these going to stress out my T's and Emp's even if they are not parasitic to them? (I have 4 possibly gravid Emp's so I want them as stress free as possible other than wanting general good health for our 'zoo') If so, other than changing substrate and sterilizing enclosures and hides, etc, how can I get rid of these darned things? I do feed crickets from a large, well-known feeder cricket company but haven't found a cricket supplier that is comparable to this company price wise (for my classroom invert zoo I have to pay for this out of my pocket and it's getting expensive, some of my T's won't eat roaches yet but I eventually hope to switch them all over but it hasn't happened yet). I think it is the crickets or their food bringing the mites in, but need more solid advice than my own haphazard wanderings on the 'net have supplied me.

So, please forgive my ignorance in this matter, but I will appreciate any solid advice or wisdom from you guys!
Keeley

Old 10-23-2007, 09:48 PM   #2
Schlyne
Get some rolly pollies aka isopods. Some invert supplies will sell them. By adding them to the tank, they will clean up remains and help keep down the mite population. The scorpions may eat a few, but they shouldn't harm the scorpions.

You can also buy some hyposis mites, which are predatory mites and will eat the other mites.

Cleaning up leftover food remains in the tank is a good way to control mites.

Dryer conditions also reduce the potential for mites to form.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!