New born exposed hemipenis - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 07-08-2005, 08:46 PM   #1
Boa4u
New born exposed hemipenis

Anybody have any suggestions on what I can do until I can get this animal to the vet?. It looks like both hemipeni are inverted and sticking out of the cloaca on one of my newborn boas. I have been keeping in on very moist paper towels in the meantime.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:14 AM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Put some honey on the exposed hemipenes. This will ensure that they remain moist and there are properties in honey that will help to reduce swelling. That may be enough to allow the little guy to readjust on his own. At the very least, it will protect the tissue until you can get him to the vet.

Good luck.

Old 07-09-2005, 09:28 AM   #3
Boa4u
Thank you for taking the time to respond to this post and thank you for your advice, it is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-24-2005, 07:42 PM   #4
Lee Herps
Wow, That maybe helpful information. Hopefully I wont ever need to use it!!!

Old 07-27-2005, 03:02 PM   #5
Ginger Ambrose
Can we get an update on how this litte one is doing ?
I hope he is better.
Ginger

Old 07-30-2005, 09:47 AM   #6
Boa4u
The Hypo Stripe Hemipenes Saga

The little guy is doing ok considering, I named him "Tread" because he has an incredible continuous stripe that covers almost 90% to 95% of his back, and he is also a hypo. I don't think he will be breeding anytime soon though.

I was able to gently put both hemipenes in using some vaseline and a qtip. The following morning, one of the hemipenes had prolapsed again. I then took him to a reptile vet who said that the hemipenes was abnormally large for the cavity in which it is supposed to stay in. Upon the vet's recommendation, the hemipenes was removed. End of story right? Tread just shed yesterday and his only remaining hemipenes prolapsed. It is also looks unusually large especially at the tip. The vet had warned me that this might happen. I had hoped that he would still be able to breed prior to this latest occurrence, but I think that is it as far as breeding goes for Mr. Tread. I spent almost $200 having the first hemipenes removed. I spoke to a local breeder who told me that if I just put neosporin on it and keep it from getting infected it will eventually shrivel up. I would hate to have to spend another $200 on a snake that has no chance of breeding but I am still concerned about the little guy's health. Anybody have any suggestions?.

Talk about a heartbreaker! If I could have proved him out genetically he might have produced some incredible striped sunglows at some point in the future.

Old 07-30-2005, 09:57 AM   #7
Ginger Ambrose
Sorry, to hear that he has pretty much lost his breeding ability, but at least he is alive.
I hope he will be a great pet.
Ginger

Old 07-30-2005, 07:25 PM   #8
Boa4u
Here is a pic of Mr. Tread. His mom is a pretty pastel and his dad is a hypo, so my previous post is a little misleading. What I meant to say was that Mr. Tread could have helped me produce striped sunglows in the future by crossing him with an albino female, possibly producing striped hypos het for albino, and then crossing one of those babies with an abino. Easy come easy go. I did get 25 other perfectly healthy babies in the litter with an incredible ratio of 17 hypos and 8 normals. I guess dad has some strong hypo genes or he did not read all the information about codominant traits yielding 50% visibles when crossed with normals! Anyway I think I might pair mom and dad up again next year and see what happens. In the meantime, Mr. Tread will make a great pet and will look good on my website that I hope to have in the future.
Attached Images

Old 08-01-2005, 03:40 PM   #9
Laura Fopiano
My god, that is one smoking animal!! I hope he gets better.

Old 08-01-2005, 04:35 PM   #10
Boa4u
Thank you Laura, but it does not look good for Mr. Tread. He shed a whole week later than the rest of the litter and he refuses to eat. Now he is not even flicking his tongue out at all. I am thinking that he is just genetically flawed. Out of 26 babies, he is the only one that has such considerable striping and the only male to have prolapsed. The other 25 babies are doing great, they have all shed once and eaten twice like champs. I am kind of torn on if to force feed Mr. Tread or not. I wonder if force feeding will be a short term solution and just prolong the inevitable.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!