Monitor bedding - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #11
SPJ
4 feet tall is too high. The most you would need would be about 3 feet. But remeber to take into account the depth of the substrate. Say for example you have 2 feet of substrate, then a 5 foot tall cage would work well. That takes into account bot the space above and the space needed for the dirt.
I would say a cage that is 8 feet long, 4 feet wide, and 3 feet tall would be the perfect size for an adult sav.

Old 05-31-2006, 09:35 AM   #12
mxracer4life
I have decided for right now that I am just going to finish my 8x4x4 cage for now. Maybe next year I will go ahead and add some on to it but for now that will be ok. I am making it 4ft tall and was only going to put a foot of dirt in there. I have noticed that my monitor doesn't burrow any, is this something they do more when they are older? There is a local guy here that used to handle monitors and large lizards, he keeps telling me to use reptile carpet, not dirt. I have been using dirt since I got her. Now, I know it is ok to feed the monitor worms/nightcrawlers but is it ok to burry them so they keep the soil loose/clean?

Old 06-01-2006, 02:34 AM   #13
zigzag
the worms will burry them selves if you put them in there.they will help keep the dirt clean and everything and it also give your monitor exercise when he/she goes and digs them up when hungry.some monitors will burrow and some wont it just denends on the monitor.also he/she might not like that dirt try some other kind remember you have to read your monitor and see what it wants and needs.if you don't see it digging or anything its telling you to change it to something else.try calling a landscaping business and tell them its for you monitor and they need something that will hold a burrow good and have them dump some off at your house.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:24 AM   #14
mxracer4life
Ok, I'll try that. I never thought of the whole worm idea, that would help keep the soil loose etc. Thanks for the advice, later

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!