Nile monitor - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-10-2006, 05:38 PM   #1
Ketsueki
Nile monitor

Before i get a Nile monitor can any of you guys suggest some good care sheets. so i can be perpared for when i do get one. i am an experienced collector and have been a herp enthusiast for some time now and been thinking that its about time to get another. so can you guys help me with caresheet?

Old 12-10-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
TripleMoonsExotic
Not meaning to offend you, but honestly your age would be a concern factor of you getting a Nile. Niles get very large and can be very aggressive and require a lot of room. I have a Sav, Nile & did have a White Throat. Do you have any previous experience with the smaller monitor species? I would recommend a Sav or Tegu to someone who has no experience with monitors.

My Nile (appropriately named Damien) is not a happy camper. His "hobbies" include biteing, tail whipping, scratching & pooing on whomever is unlucky enough to handle him during cage cleaning. Some have had luck with taming Niles by daily handeling when they young, but that did not work for us, which is why we keep Damien's handeling to a minimum.

Old 12-10-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
Ketsueki
thanks for your concern but i have owned monitors in the past. i've had 3 sav's and a black and white tegu. i've been handling them for 3 years now. and i've held all the monitors at the exotic pet store i used to work at.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:53 AM   #4
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketsueki
and i've held all the monitors at the exotic pet store i used to work at.
I don't believe that holding Monitors at a pet store constitutes your ability to handle and care for a lizard that gets 4-6'.

Do you have the ability to provide the Nile with the space it needs?

If you are simply looking for caresheets, a search on Google for "Nile Monitor" will provide plenty of links:

http://www.google.com/search?q=nile+...en-US:official

Old 12-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #5
Ketsueki
again i've not just held them i've feed all the larger lizards at the pet store i used to work at i've feed them and cleaned their cages. i told you i know how to handle them and i'm good at it. i have several rooms to devote to the monitor. i have everything i need except a good feeding caresheet and diet plan.

Old 12-11-2006, 06:59 PM   #6
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
i have several rooms to devote to the monitor.
You mean your parents, right?

Quote:
i have everything i need except a good feeding caresheet and diet plan.
As far as diet, I feed my monitors frozen-thawed rodents & hard boiled eggs on occasion. I have heard people feeding them whole fowl as well, but I have no experience with that.

Old 12-11-2006, 07:14 PM   #7
Ketsueki
wrong i pay rent for my room and a spare room. i pay part of the electric bill too. please stop assuming that i am a irresponsible child. thank you for your help

Old 12-26-2006, 02:36 AM   #8
land536
your nile

good luck with your Nile, but i have to agree with some of the others on here in the fact that, not for your sake but, for the monitors sake and the reputation of the hobby, think long and hard about it. i have had several large Niles and my favorite is my ornate Nile, her name is Mrs b h, she is still growing at almost 5ft. a few months ago i had her out cleaning her cage and she got the slip on me and got a bite in, i was wearing top quality,thick leather handling gloves, i put 7 stitches in one finger and 3 in the other. Through the gloves. she is still my favorite but a big Nile will take off several fingers. I am not judging just saying be careful and think before you buy.but All of mine like cypress mulch for bedding, a good hide with lots of privacy,(I keep a large hollow cypress log),and lots of food, I feed them scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, science diet-seldom, mice-it gets expensive but i like the mice because i think they are easier on the digestion,and a good size water dish-plan on cleaning it every other day, and a good warm end of the cage, I really recommend misting every other day with natures reptile vita spray by four paws. any other questions feel free to e-mail me
p.s. here is a link to some Pict's of my favorite girl
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...6/P3111514.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...6/P3111509.jpg
http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r...6/P1011381.jpg

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!