Medication question. What is it? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Old 04-18-2007, 04:01 PM   #1
Leighanne
Medication question. What is it?

Alright I had to order in some Medicine from the Vet for my Rattie Daughters. I am confused though. I thought I was getting Baytril but its called Ciprofloxacin. Whats this stuff and what does it do? I needed it for their Phyphorin. I think I spelled that right. Rayne is all the time sneezing it and HoneyPuff is now to and her eyes get gunky for a few days in a row sometimes but then they usually clear up. I hope this helps the bulk of my matters. What sucks is administering it twice a day and orally. Anybody ever had Pet Rats and had to do that? Pain in the bum bum. lol The Vets office is closed today and I was just curious. Thanks guys!

Old 04-18-2007, 05:18 PM   #2
Leighanne
Nevermind, disregard this post. I called my Rat friend Nicole and found out its not Baytril but its better then Baytril. Its supposed to help control the mucus flow which is good and works better then Baytril at least for Ratties. It helped Nicole's Rat Violet get through the Pneumonia she just almost had. Its strong stuff.

I've been learning a lot about my Ratties lately, a lot about everything and am very glad for the education. The Leo Rescues taught me SO much about Leos. An as for the Ratties I know now there number one health problem is going to be Respiratory, so I'm glad I'll know what to look for. Phew!

You always feel bad with your firsts of any animal but they Teach you so much. Did you know every ten days of a Rats life equals 1 year of a Humans and so by two years old for a Rat thats a 73 year old Human! With Rats of two years of age you should start looking for and paying attention to Respiratory problems because thats when these problems start pooping up. So this Winter I now know to be prepared! Thank Goodness and Thanks for looking guys!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:17 AM   #3
SatanicIntention
Yep, Cipro is good to use if they have an actual infection. But if they don't and they just have some allergies/sneezing/porphy noses, then using some Triaminic Orange(chlorpheniramine children's liquid), Children's liquid Benadryl, etc, will also work just fine too. That is IF they don't have an active infection going on. www.ratguide.com for dosages.

A Baytril/Doxycycline combo is also good for respiratory infections.

As for getting them to take it, LOL, try melted ice cream, diluted chocolate syrup, maple syrup, watered down peanut butter, etc. Really anything you can think of that is liquidy and can be put in a syringe or bowl. I have over 22 rats, and some have had to go through chemotherapy treatment for cancer. I've had to do all sorts of tricks and stunts to get them to take their dang meds! LOL!

Hope that helped and good luck with your girls.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:46 PM   #4
Leighanne
Wow, I haven't checked on this in awhile. They are doing fine now. Active, loveable little Ratties and they HATED the Medicine. My friend Nicole uses the ice cream. You do know that choclate will kill them and peanut butter can choke them. If it works for you thats cool but I will have to sway from choclate and peanut butter. No offense. I REALLY appreciate the info though. I always wanted to use over the counter stuff but couldn't find the info. I knew you could do it.

Old 05-21-2007, 06:52 PM   #5
A_B_laben
My friend as long as I know ciprofloxacin is a drug that is used to treat infections caused by bacteria and is being studied in the treatment of bladder cancer. Ciprofloxacin is a type of fluoroquinolone. Also called Cipro.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:07 PM   #6
Dr Alan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighanne
[color=Blue]I called my Rat friend Nicole and found out its not Baytril but its better then Baytril.
Ciprofloxacin is not better then Baytril (enrofloxacin). They are both antibiotics in the class of fluoroquinolones and have similar but not absolutely identical ranges of antibacterial activity. In individual instances one may be indicated more than the other, but to say one is better than the other is like saying that a BCI is better then a BCC, to draw a crude analogy.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
Leighanne
Wow I couldn't keep up with that. I get what your saying, thats just what my friend said not like her word is gold but she goes to the stupid Vet a lot more then anybody I personally know. Ya know.

Old 05-24-2007, 11:01 PM   #8
Dr Alan
Quote:
stupid Vet. Ya know.
Hey! I resemble that remark!

Old 05-25-2007, 02:05 PM   #9
Leighanne
Why would you resent that? Some of them I'm not so impressed with.

Old 05-25-2007, 05:26 PM   #10
Dr Alan
Quote:
Why would you resent that?
It was a JOKE Leighann. That's an ancient Three Stooges gag line.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!