Adam Tischner "Dr. Oviparous" - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 06-03-2005, 08:14 PM   #1
Lucille
Adam Tischner "Dr. Oviparous"

I purchased a boa and two carpet pythons from this person and they arrived today. They seem healthy and are beautiful snakes, the carpets are very large; the boa uncommonly pretty with very clean markings and everything was packaged perfectly.

I was in a bit of a tizz last night however; I assumed from the way we talked about overnight shipping that he was going to Fedex, and when he wrote last night saying he had shipped, said that he has gone to the Post Office last night but they had closed (thank goodness) 15 minutes earlier, so he went to UPS and shipped them there, (they do not permit snakes to be shipped with their service either).

The snakes arrived in unmarked boxes via UPS and were fine; but I am still somewhat upset about the USPS/UPS stuff.

The thing is, if a few people get caught, it reflects badly on the whole industry; an industry that is already divided by rifts and politics as well as proliferating regulation.

I would like to ask that all of y'all put the word out, NO USPS, so that all will hear and no one will make an error that the entire reptile community ends up paying for in terms of negative public sentiment.

BTW, here is what he wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOW, I don't know how that slipped by me, mabye it is new? I havent checked in a couple years. If I had known I would have chosen a different carrier, which I will do in the future. All in all, I'm sure everything will be fine. I was going 40MPH in a 35 earlier today as well with no negitive outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucille
Adam, you are presumed to know the law and with almost 2,000 reptile posts I cannot believe you do not. I talked to a number of people online last night about this incident and they were all familiar with the postal regulations.

The regulations below are current from the USPS website; the US in USPS signifies that the postal service is of course federal in nature and violations are federal crimes with criminal penalties:

525.3 Reptiles
All snakes, turtles, and poisonous reptiles are nonmailable.

Exhibit 526.6
Requirements for Mailing Small, Harmless, Cold-Blooded Animals
(Except Snakes, Turtles, and Turtle Eggs)

General Requirements:
All animals in this group:
* Must be able to reach their destination in good condition in the normal transit time between the mailing and address points.
* Must not require any food, water, or attention during transport.
* Must not create sanitary problems.
Must not create obnoxious odors.
Specific Requirements by Animal:
Baby Alligators
Baby Caimans
Chameleons
Frogs
Lizards
Newts
Reptiles and Amphibians
Salamanders
* Tadpoles and Toads Animals must not exceed 20 inches in length.
* No additional requirements other than the applicable standards in DMM C022.
* Packaging must comply with DMM C022.3.10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Oviparous
Fedreal crime? I understand anything illegal over state lines makes it federal, but I've done a lot of research and there's nothing in USPS regs that says you can't.... Hmm.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:31 PM   #2
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Oviparous
Fedreal crime? I understand anything illegal over state lines makes it federal, but I've done a lot of research and there's nothing in USPS regs that says you can't.... Hmm.
Quote:
Fedreal(sic) crime?
Not only would it have been one had he shipped USPS,
Quote:
snakes arrived in unmarked boxes via UPS
but he also violated the lacey (lacy? ) act, which is also federal.

Old 06-03-2005, 10:49 PM   #3
Karen Hulvey
This guy sure is full of himself. Maybe he'll change his tune when he gets caught.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!