Steps To Become Fedex Certified!!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:01 PM   #1
Brian Oakley
Stop! Steps To Become Fedex Certified!!!

Ok, this is what you need to do.

First you have to set up an acct with FedEx. This costs you nothing. It can be done on line or by phone. It is easier and quicker online (I would think anyway) since you do not have to hold and have people asking you to repeat something.

Go to http://fedex.com/us/ and click on the link on the left hand side near the top where it says 'opening an acct'. Go through the steps from there. **by setting up an acct. you get free labels etc. You can have them pre-printed with your shipping info, I received mine the other day.
AFTER 24 hours (takes that long to process it and make it 'live')
After you do the above things you will then need to call 1-800-GOFEDEX (4633339) and ask customer service to have your account representative call you. This can take anywhere between a few hours to 48 hours. While you are waiting you can go to http://fedex.com/us/services/express...ing/tips.html, scroll down towards the bottom and click on a link that says 'complete this form' under the heading "Packaging Testing or Evaluation". This is the form you will have to print and fill out to send with your package.
Now, with all that said, you probably could skip the call to the sales rep. and just print the form and send it in. The Packaging Department did not know I was sending in a package. The only valuable info I got from the sales rep. was the account number (theirs) in which to bill the shipping sharges to.
**Sorry, I will not give that number out, it is not my place to do so**

I then sent the package to the Packaging Design and Development department (address is on the bottom of the page you will be printing out. I sent it out last Friday (6 days ago) and I got the box back (you can request on the form to have the box sent back) with the current paperwork I have on Tuesday.
It then tells you to call you local acct. rep (follow the above steps with 800 number) to have them send you the legal paperwork.
This will be a contract between you and FedEx regarding your shipping live harmless reptiles/animals. I picture that I will have to fill it out/sign it and fax/mail it back to them. At that point you should be good to go unless they give you any other instructions.
Some key numbers you might want:
Package Design and Development Dept.- 1-800-633-7019. This is if you have any questions of them.
Live Animal Desk- 1-800-405-9052 This is just for you to have. They really did not help me any as they sent me, at that point, to their legal department. In fact, they told me that exceptions are not made and only ship horses and animals for zoos.
Legal Department- 901-434-8494 The contact I used was James Brown. He was good to answer some questions I had.

**When shipping the box to the Package and Design Dept., you want to ship just like you would when you send a snake. Include everything right down to the deli cup or snake bag.....just no snake of course**

I hope this helps you all. Take advantage of this. This is the best way, so far, that we reptile/amphibian breeders have in order to ship our 'goods' without being denied the service. It might sound complicated, but it really is easy.

Best of luck to you all!

Old 02-19-2004, 12:14 PM   #2
Mike Greathouse
One little addition to Brian's post. FedEx recommends that you re-package your test box inside another box for shipping to the test lab. This way, you can potentially avoid any damage to your box on the way there. Just label the outside of the repack box: "Test Inner Box" so that they know what's going on.

I just sent mine off yesterday.

Thank you Brian for a very helpful post.

Old 02-19-2004, 12:26 PM   #3
Cheryl Marchek AKA JM
Step one~ check

I've never shipped a snake, I have never shipped anything Fed-Ex......but now I have an account. I'll move to step two Friday or Monday.

Thanks~ I never would have worked up the nerve to actually try this without y'all doing it first and blazing the bath!

Old 02-19-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
Suncoast Herpetological
My test package went out today. I am sure the testing lab is beginning to wonder what is going on with a steady stream of reptile related packaging coming in daily.

This could very well be a major turning point in favor of the growth of the reptile industry as a whole.

It's kind of fun to be part of the first wave.

Thanks again to the first few who broke trail for us all.

Old 02-19-2004, 01:11 PM   #5
Brian Oakley
Just to add to this, like Rich mentioned to me in an email. Once you complete the above steps, that does NOT mean you are done. Like it mentioned, you still have to get the paperwork (contract) and complete that.

I like the idea of putting the 'shipping' box insode another box. I was not told to do so, nor did I do it.

This thread will eventually be put up on the Shipping Forum, per Rich as that is where hewould like it to go.

Old 03-13-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
cobravenom
First you have to set up an acct with FedEx. This costs you nothing. It can be done on line or by phone. It is easier and quicker online (I would think anyway) since you do not have to hold and have people asking you to repeat something.

Go to http://fedex.com/us/ and click on the link on the left hand side near the top where it says 'opening an acct'. Go through the steps from there. **by setting up an acct. you get free labels etc. You can have them pre-printed with your shipping info, I received mine the other day.
AFTER 24 hours (takes that long to process it and make it 'live')
After you do the above things you will then need to call 1-800-GOFEDEX (4633339) and ask customer service to have your account representative call you. This can take anywhere between a few hours to 48 hours. While you are waiting you can go to http://fedex.com/us/services/expres...ging/tips.html, scroll down towards the bottom and click on a link that says 'complete this form' under the heading "Packaging Testing or Evaluation". This is the form you will have to print and fill out to send with your package.

Ok this link doesnt work to package test evaluate Anyone have a working link? Thank you so much for finally getting this out in the open everyone!

Old 03-13-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
Dennis Hultman
Attached
Attached Images
File Type: pdf PKG_Services_Application.pdf (38.7 KB, 184 views)

Old 03-13-2008, 11:44 PM   #8
cobravenom
Appreciate that link!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
cobravenom
Ok after over an hour and a half of reading through this thread I am at the end. I have my application filled out and am ready to send off my test box but have a few questions that were not fully addressed as of yet to my knowledge.
1. Who is Daniel at Scales? I am assuming this is a website that shipping supplies are available.
2. What are the specifics of shipping a reptile? I got a pair of kings last winter shipped to my door in a small box marked perishable and arrows pointing up. FedEx Priority Overnight 3 pounds. 1 heat pack 2 snakes individually bagged in cloth. Shredded newspaper and styrofoam peanuts all surrounded by thin styrofoam sheets. Is this what the test lab expects because obviously it worked well from Florida to Oklahoma in the snow.
3. When I go to ship do I just take my box up to the nearest FedEx office, walk up to the counter, and tell them I need this box to go across the U.S. NOW?
I have never shipped anything in my life so please do not respond as if I am an idiot as tempting as it may be. I have wanted to ship reptiles for years but never wanted to do it illegally, but finally I can ship out my captive bred reptiles with a bit of help from experienced breeders/shippers. Thank you in advance for your help!
Heath

Old 11-10-2010, 11:06 PM   #10
detretic
When you send in the bx for inspection does ot have to be the exact soze you plan on shipping? Or can you scale it down a couple sizes?

Tags
fedex certification, fedex waiver