Is it worth getting FedEx Certified? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-23-2005, 08:42 AM   #1
Palex134
Is it worth getting FedEx Certified?

I read the really long post and was pretty impressed but I need to ship a couple snakes and lizards thought the year. Is it worth it and what does everyone think about it. How do you ship with them? Where do you bring the package to?

Old 01-23-2005, 08:54 AM   #2
Mike Greathouse
Fed-Ex is a decent option for legally shipping reptiles. The only downside to their live animal program is that shipments can only be made to business destinations. You cannot ship to a residential address.

As far as the shipping itself, with only a few animals a year, it wouldn't warrant a Daily Pickup account, so you would simply take the package to your local Fed-Ex Customer Center. You can find all of the locations at the following website: http://www.fedex.com/Dropoff/start?locale=en_US

Good luck,

Old 01-23-2005, 12:36 PM   #3
MR_Jungle_Mist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex134
Is it worth getting FedEx Certified?
Yes, for some. No, for others. In your case I'd say no, not really. It's a lot of trouble for the amount of shipping you'd do.

Quote:
ssed but I need to ship a couple snakes and lizards thought the year. Is it worth it and what does everyone think about it.
Might not be worth it. You might be better off using other means if they are available or just not shipping at all and just finding local sales.

Quote:
How do you ship with them?
We got FedEx verified, went through all the proper procedures and ship in insulated boxes with more than enough packing material and heat packs, air holes, etc etc

Quote:
Where do you bring the package to?
Because of how far out in the sticks we are we bring our packages to be picked up at a local Mailbox Etc.. place. We've talked to the owners and told them what we will be shipping and receiving and they were happy to be there for us when we needed them to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
The only downside to their live animal program is that shipments can only be made to business destinations.
We've never run into that problem. We've been able to ship to any address, residential or business. As stated in the other post...it always comes down to who you speak to, who comes into contact with the package on it's route, and all their attitudes towards reptiles.

Just my two cents, of course.

Old 01-23-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Greathouse
The only downside to their live animal program is that shipments can only be made to business destinations. You cannot ship to a residential address.
Well depends on how you utilize definitions. A home based business is still a business. With the number of Ebay sellers, and other various and sundry small businesses running from an internet storefront, this is a HUGE marketplace that would be foolish for any major shipping company to ignore.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:19 PM   #5
screamdreams
Quote:
this is a HUGE marketplace that would be foolish for any major shipping company to ignore.
The man is a genius...

Old 01-23-2005, 02:29 PM   #6
Mike Greathouse
Webslave,
I addressed the home-based business angle with Fed-Ex, but they don't make the distinction. If the delivery address is in a residentally-zoned area, it's a residential delivery.

The Fed-Ex representative (who shall go un-named) went on to say that it is very unlikely that anyone from Fed-Ex will really check or question the destination. I was just trying to do everything completely above-board. I didn't want to start our relationship trying to skirt around the rules.

Old 01-23-2005, 02:55 PM   #7
WebSlave
Yeah, and probably every other FedEx representative is going to say the opposite. My rep said that home based businesses are certainly considered as business addresses.

And in reality, you, as the shipper, really are not going to know either way, in a lot of cases. Supposed you were to ship to SerpenCo, where will you be shipping to? How many people in this business actually have a store front address that they ship to and from?

Quite honestly, I think that FedEx just wants the business, regardless. The impression I got was that the marketing people would just as soon go over to their legal department and drag those guys out onto the parking lot and pummel them into the pavement....

Old 01-25-2005, 02:38 PM   #8
Khaman
When I log into my account that is "reptile verified" it will only give the option to ship to a business even when I just run a quote it will not give me one unless I select deliver to a business. Am I the only one with this problem?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!