Shipped @ 71-76 deg. Received @ 85-91 deg. Good temps to send a snake? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 05-01-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
Salton Sea
Shipped @ 71-76 deg. Received @ 85-91 deg. Good temps to send a snake?

I have received a few snakes by carrier but never at such high temps. Can anyone offer some advice if a high of 90 degrees is too extreme to receive a snake? The temps here next week are going to be 85-91 degrees and I am going to ask the snakes be held at the carrier depot so that I may pick them up instead of bouncing around in a hot truck all day but I am still a little worried.

Also I imagine that the temps are probably going to be a little cold when being transported through air, but do you think that it's safe enough to ask for the shipper to leave the heat pack out? I received an animal last week with a heat pack and it was around 80-82 degrees that day, the animal appeared no worse for the wear and is doing fine. The snakes are a North American desert species so they should stand up to the heat a little better than other tropical animals.

Any advice would be appreciated as to whether I should be genuinely concerned. Thanks.

Old 05-01-2005, 07:04 PM   #2
Traci1
If the sender ships in the evening and you are to receive the package the next morning, hopefully the animals will not be in transit during the hottest part of either day. I would definitely not use heat packs with those temps.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:57 PM   #3
reptilebreeder
I agree with Traci. As long as they are being shipped overnight priority they should arrive before the temps get up to high. The key word being should, as "stuff" does happen.
You might also want to give the receiving depot a phone call early that morning (or even the night before as, they may not open before the trucks are loaded), as I have had a package delivered to my residence that was suppose to be held. The driver made the decision, because he knew based on his route that he would get it to me with little difference in time between him dropping it off, or me being able to pick it up when the office opened for the day, so it worked out good. I know of other people who have had problems with the package still being delivered, even though it was marked "hold", so I would try to double check with the receiving station.

Old 05-08-2005, 10:26 PM   #4
Salton Sea
All the snakes arrived fine, thanks for the advice guys. Pfffft I was worried about heat but when I received the snakes they were ice cold.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!