Eastern DiamondBack Rattlesnake's - Page 5 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-14-2014, 12:48 PM   #41
54bogger
Why pass? There's nothing you can call me that I havent heard by others such as idiot,reckless,moron,meathead(one of my favorites). I've been accused of going to get someone killed, of being a bad example for the "hobby" of being a showboat etc etc.
This is not new to me, as for the earlier post that the poster say's he's not surprised I've been bitten before let me clarify that a bit. I was bit 29yrs ago by a cane break rattler while holding him in the "approved" three finger method, that was the last snake I have ever held by the throat because they REALLY don't like it. In the 29yrs since I have not had a venomous snake bite.
I not only enjoy working with my rattler's I do love them.

Old 11-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #42
gila7150
Barry, you'll notice my first post on your thread was complimenting your EDB's and your caging. I don't really agree with free handling but it's still a free country (despite Obama's best attempts) so do what you want. I haven't seen anyone in this thread sling insults and the one post that disagreed with free handling wasn't directed at you.
You posted a picture of your shirt that mocks people who disagree with free handling so I was just making a joke that Venomous is misspelled on the "Venemous Free Handlers" shirt. I can tell that you are passionate about your animals and I don't question your motives. I think a lot of free handlers are show-offs and their track record of getting bitten is nowhere near as good as yours.
I can understand the temptation to put your hands on an EDB. (I just do it with restraint tubes). We've both been doing this long enough where I'm as unlikely to change your opinion as you are to change mine. I hope you continue to be safe and enjoy your EDB's.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:17 PM   #43
54bogger
I'm not trying to be a jerk, I just hear a lot of negative stuff from folks.

btw- I really got to get that shirt fixed!lol

Old 11-14-2014, 03:52 PM   #44
NocturnalNature
Barry,
I wasn't referring to you in my initial post. While I DO NOT agree with free handling, I'm not the one who has to deal with the consequences if it goes horribly wrong.
What I do have an issue with is the posting of these photos on the Internet where the young, naive, or uninformed, see it and think it is a wide spread or accepted handling technique within the community. Factor in the often ridiculous advice given by those who choose to be so cavalier in their handling techniques and I would hope you can see where it can be damaging to the community as a whole.
As an example, please refer to the links I posted in my original post. I think you may be surpised to see the type of information that the gentleman who is supporting you in this thread spreads.
I'll quote a few nuggets of this skewed wisdom, however I highly encourage you to search for yourself.

These two are from a thread asking about a good starter snake. Please note the original poster is 16 years old.

Demonseed38
"Dude. All snakes are awesome. It depends on what's right for you. I'm a drymarchon guy with non venomous and hots, pygmy rattlesnakes are my favorites. They can be tamed and held but I do suggest taking diluted venom injections to build up your immunity. But use thick welding gloves to get them used to handling and they are cool. As for drymarchon. They are high strung snakes but with some frequency in handling and taming they are super smart and make some super cool pets. Just my opinion to whether you wanna test your herp skills."

Same thread

Demonseed38
"I take diluted venom injections the same as tom Crutchfield and many others. I also use venom defender gloves as well. I've worked with and handled hots as well as some very big crocadilians and other dangerous animals. The people that get hurt by hots are the morons that think they have a tame viper or elaphid. I have been bitten 11 times as any body with my experience knows it's gonna happen. But thanks to those injections I take it never got serious enough for me to be hospitalized. You people can think what you want. It's you that are unprepared that get injured by these animals and give us all a bad name. So when you do get bit and are laying in ICU. Thank about your little article's . I'll be sitting at home healthy and enjoying my snake collection. And if your scared of these animals. Don't keep them."

A different thread where he mentions being in the hospital for two weeks despite the above post saying "it never got serious enough to be hospitalized"

Demonseed38
"Yup. We all can be dare devils but yeah . You really have to respect them. I've been bitten and it hurts like hell plus 2 weeks in the hospital. Thank god for insurance cause that bill would have been about 30 grand. But I vote on pygmy rattlesnakes for a first time hot. They have small fangs and pretty easy to work with. Use tongs , hooks and gloves. The venom defender gloves are expensive but you can't put a price on your life."

Hopefully this will help you understand a bit more in regards as to why many keepers of venomous animals tend to frown upon the practice of posting free handling photos since it often comes from those who also spread potentially dangerous information.
I wish you the best with your animals!

Old 11-14-2014, 04:21 PM   #45
54bogger
Thank's for clearing that up, I post those pic's because I'm proud of the work that I do with my rattle snake's. I will say what I DO IS VERY DANGEROUS and don't recommend it for those who have very little knowledge of venomous snake's of any kind. I've never recommended anyone do what I do, but I should not have to hide because of what others may or may not do.
All I ask is that we all be respectful of each other whether we agree or not.

Old 11-18-2014, 02:08 PM   #46
54bogger
The pic's of me I posted holding my edb's may be deceiving to some, in that they may believe that I just stroll in the wood's and pic up rattle snake's, nothing could be farther from the truth. I'm going to try and show what take's place before those pic's are taken.

WARNING!- What I do is DANGEROUS! AND I DONT RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE!

Now with that said this is how I begin,

When I first get the rattler's I leave them alone in their cage to get adjusted to their new home. After a week to two week's (it depend's on the snake) I begin spending time close to the cage. I'll take their hide out so they only have a bush to hide under then I'll sit almost up against the cage. I will just read a book or sometime's just take a nap, but the whole point is that they get used to my presence. This is not done in a single day, it may take many week's it just depend's on the snake. Once the snake's are at ease with my presence we move on to the next step.

I'll post the next step tomorrow.

BTW-This is not a "how to tame a venomous snake guide" this is just showing what all I do with my edb's before the pic's of me holding them. Thank's

Old 11-18-2014, 07:49 PM   #47
demonseed38
Hey Barry. I just got home for N.D. my female leucistic cottonmouth has a nasolacrimal duct blockage so I had to do an ocular incision to drain it. Those Hex Armor gloves work well against fangs. I got Matilda out and she just laid back and enjoyed her free handling exp. Haha. I'll call ya tomorrow

Old 11-19-2014, 03:58 AM   #48
yasin
If free handling was "only" a personal risk, I would be perfectly ok with that. There are other dangerous hobbies where people put their life in danger and they are hardly ever condemned for it. However, free handling is not just a personal risk, it is a risk to the hobby that we all love. More bites mean more regulations and more free handling means more bites. That's why I am cautious against displaying these pictures.

Still, very beautiful snakes Barry!

And I would love to see pictures of the Leucistic Cottonmouths mentioned above by Joseph.

Old 11-19-2014, 08:48 AM   #49
demonseed38
Well. If and when you do get bit. All they need to know is it happened in the woods. And being that I own my house and property, they can't do nothing about it any ways. And here's a pic of the LUCY. This snake is not to be free handled. Because she is the spawn of satan
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2014, 09:12 AM   #50
gila7150
Beautiful! I have a soft spot in my heart for anything Agkistrodon.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!