How important is a phone number? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

View Poll Results: How important is a phone number?
Very! Won't do business without one. 20 37.74%
It is a nice option but not necessary. 24 45.28%
Never use them and don't care. 9 16.98%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2014, 01:38 PM   #1
Charis
How important is a phone number?

Was reading some posts on the BOI about a bad transaction and the seller didn't have a phone number available and many people commented on how shady that fact was. That got me wondering how people feel about being able to call someone they want to do business with, please vote in the poll and feel free to expand on your views in replies.

Personally, I hate phone conversations of nearly any kind and will go out of my way to avoid them. Especially with either buying or selling something, I vastly prefer having any of the details of the deal in writing, either IM, email or texts. Both to have proof of what was agreed to, should there be a misunderstanding and because my short term memory is pretty much non-existent and I like to be able to go back and reread conversations whenever, to refresh my memory and be sure I am not forgetting anything.

Old 03-30-2014, 05:06 AM   #2
nickolasanastasiou
I echo your sentiments with respect to keeping a record. That is my primary reason for preferring emails for communication as both a buyer and a seller. Also, I have a very...unusual...sleep "schedule", so I might find time to respond via email at 3:45 am like when I started typing this post. I am not often available for calls, whether due to meetings, work, activities, or for other reasons.

While not always the case, I think there is a generational component to this. Most of the folks who feel more comfortable communicating with me via the phone have lived more years than I have. Most of the folks who feel more comfortable communicating with me via email are around my age or younger. The folks much younger than I am seem to prefer texts to other forms of communication.

Folks who grew up with a more personal medium likely prefer that. Folks who grew up with a more impersonal medium likely prefer that. I will sometimes take calls, which I dislike, for the sake of the customer's/vendor's comfort. I often then go write up a quick transcript and send it "for confirmation" via email so I have a record that gets acknowledged. This consideration for the other's preference should be acknowledged. Buyers and sellers are all over the US (and for those who import and export or are dealing with other nations for their places of business, the world). Calls at certain hours are rude. Emails at any hour never are by virtue of the hour they are sent. Phone calls do not address a 24hr world. Emails do.

Some folks work nights. Some folks work days. Some folks have a midday nap. Some bizarre people like myself just postpone sleep (sometimes for days) until it becomes convenient or critical. Some folks have family matters to pay undivided attention to during "normal" waking hours. Emails are endlessly patient with every one of these types of people.

I know some folks want the phone calls in order to feel secure and believe those who avoid them are shady. On the other side, it may seem shady to others to avoid having a record of the various communications. I value the time of others. I would hope that they could be inclined to consider the value of mine.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:25 AM   #3
hhmoore
I hate phones.
Occasionally, I will concede to a customer's request for a phone conversation. I try to make the best of it; but rest assured, I am never happy about being on the phone for extended periods while somebody questions me, then rambles on about their likes/dislikes/reptile keeping experiences/goals (dreams)/personal life. I really don't see any reason for a phone call about an animal for sale to extend beyond 10-15 minutes (and even that is pushing it).
If a seller insists on a phone call, he might as well plan on losing my business - I'm generally not THAT interested.

After the sale? Email only...or don't complain that you haven't received a response. I don't answer my phone, and I check messages once every month or two.

Texts? Not likely - I don't give out my cell number to many people. I will rarely do so if I am meeting somebody at a show...but, if they text me after that, I politely ask that they restrict contact to emails. My cell phone is for MY convenience, not anybody else's. (How's that for grumpy old man attitude, lol)

Old 03-30-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charis View Post
I vastly prefer having any of the details of the deal in writing
This is always a good idea, in my opinion.

Parties may wish to exchange phone numbers in certain situations such as during the shipping process of a particularly large/valuable order 'just in case', but even then if both parties are responsive to emails, more may not be necessary.

There might be a difference between having a phone number and using it though. Unless I personally knew the vendor, I would be hesitant doing business with someone if I had neither a valid address or phone number but only an email address.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
hhmoore
That's one benefit of dealing with our GGC holders - all contact information is right there. (That's why I laugh when people post my address or phone number in a thread, like they did some great investigative work & know where I am...I have the link to that information in my signature)

Old 03-30-2014, 12:51 PM   #6
nickolasanastasiou
I should add that I do need/provide a phone number for shipment through FedEx, but I will not use it for contact unless there are exceptional circumstances afoot that would call for it, like a package being left outside during a moment of especially hot weather at the recipient's place.

Old 03-30-2014, 10:52 PM   #7
Herps Alive!
Just curious (as a bit of a Luddite) how do you text if you don't have a phone number? For several years I did not include a phone number, only an e-mail on my business cards. The increase in quality and quantity of contacts once I added the number was remarkable. Curious -those who "hate" phone conversations, what are your ages?

Old 03-30-2014, 11:18 PM   #8
nickolasanastasiou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herps Alive! View Post
Just curious (as a bit of a Luddite) how do you text if you don't have a phone number? For several years I did not include a phone number, only an e-mail on my business cards. The increase in quality and quantity of contacts once I added the number was remarkable. Curious -those who "hate" phone conversations, what are your ages?
I do not typically text without a phone number, but one can send a text via email. I would have to look up how, as I have only done it once before when my cellular phone at the time was damaged.

I am nearly 33. Most of the folks who really push for phone calls in my experience are in their late 40s and beyond, although I have plenty of folks who correspond via text who range from the late teens into their 60s. Most of the 20-somethings go for texts first and emails second. Most of the 30-somethings and a good chunk of the 40-somethings go for emails first and texts second. Once the 40-somethings near 50-somethings, I get a lot more folks who want phone calls, although it is not really high in volume since my ads specify email for contact and even folks who like phone calls generally go along with that. Also, since most of my photos of my available animals are on my PC, the PC becomes a central factor regardless.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #9
Charis
We are just trying to get a little hobby level business started, my husband and I and I'm uncomfortable with having my phone number listed on my online business page and was wondering if not having it on there would be a red flag to potential buyers. Generally though, at some point in setting up a deal, either as the buyer or as the seller, I will give out my number 'just in case' and have even had one buyer and one seller call me, which is fine, even though I don't like talking on the phone. But most people text me instead of call, if they don't email me.

I don't really mind giving out my number to someone I'm in the middle of a deal with, I just don't like having my number online, where anyone can come across it. The number is on our business cards though.

I am 27 and have never liked talking on the phone, even when texting wasn't around. We do not have a land line and both my husband and I just use our smart phones.

Old 03-30-2014, 11:39 PM   #10
nickolasanastasiou
Is there some manner of inexpensive prepaid or pay-as-you-go option? I am ignorant of how those work, but maybe you could have some cheap dedicated phone and number you could list on the website that you would only have to pay more for as the talk time is exhausted, assuming you wanted to list a number for the sake of some customers.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!