50% het this, 66% het that - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Stryker414
50% het this, 66% het that

Can anyone with a full understanding of genetics percentages please help me understand?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
reticguy76
basically 50% het means that the breeding was a het x anything not related to what the het gene is in one parent (for example: het albino x normal - 100% normals in appearance, 50% of the clutch will carry the albino gene. which ones, are unknown therefore it is listed as 50% het (or 50% poss het albino).
some goes for 66%, except that both parents are het (or carry the recessive gene). for example, het albino x het albino = 100% normall in appearance, but the chance goes up for each baby to carry the gene, 66% het (or 66% het albino)

Old 03-17-2010, 09:45 PM   #3
Stryker414
Thank you! I think I understand now. In the case where locality comes into play...I have a sunglow 50% het anery and 25% Argentine; therefore, only 1 of the parents carried the anery gene and either of the parents was half Argentine?
So breed or locality would be percentage but definately there, but when it comes to genes the percentage is may or may not carry until proven?

Old 03-17-2010, 09:57 PM   #4
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by reticguy76 View Post
some goes for 66%, except that both parents are het (or carry the recessive gene). for example, het albino x het albino = 100% normall in appearance, but the chance goes up for each baby to carry the gene, 66% het (or 66% het albino)
Actually, in the case of a het to het, approx 25% should be homozygous for the trait (in this case, albino). Breaking it down to fractions, thats one out of every four babies...which leaves three other babies to consider. Of those three, two will be hets => 2 out of 3, or 2/3....66%.
It really is easier to figure out/understand if you look at a Punnett square

Oh, and the only thing that 25% Argentine means is that the snake is not pure BCI. An Argentine boa is a different subspecies, not a morph...so the percentage is purely informational, just telling you how mixed it is.

Old 03-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #5
Stryker414
Thank you very much for the break down, I can make an informed decision now.

Old 03-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #6
reticguy76
im a dork, nice catch harold. i just reverted back to newbie status i guess. been awhile since ive been there

Old 03-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
Twizted Paths
Also so you know

The only way to get a guaranteed 100% het animal is to breed a normal to a visual morph. (Unless it's been breed & the het proven)

Albino x Normal = 100% Normal looking het Albinos

With any other breeding (Albino x Albino, het x het, Albino x het) the normal looking 'hets' are a gamble.

Albino is only used as an example, the concept applies to all the recessive morphs.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!