Box of reptiles as a checked bag? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 01-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #1
dzoo
Box of reptiles as a checked bag?

If I am flying to a reptile show can I bring a (properly packed) box of reptiles back as a checked bag (i.e. like a piece of luggage)? Or would I need to make special arrangements for it to go as air cargo?

Old 01-28-2016, 12:21 PM   #2
WebSlave
I think you should call the airport. Honestly, I'll be very surprised if they say it is OK as checked luggage.

And unless you are already verified through air cargo, that might be a challenge as well.

Old 01-28-2016, 12:50 PM   #3
bcr229
I don't see it happening as the only animals allowed in the passenger area are service animals, with most reptiles being specifically excluded.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #4
dzoo
Not asking about brining into cabin, checking it in as you would luggage...

Old 01-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #5
bcr229
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzoo View Post
Not asking about brining into cabin, checking it in as you would luggage...
Oh hell no! That goes in the unpressurized, unheated part of the plane.

And have you seen how baggage handlers treat luggage? Never mind how that stuff gets tossed around in the conveyor system once you hand it off at the terminal.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:32 PM   #6
dzoo
The luggage area is pressurized and temperature controlled (google it if you don't believe me). It is the same space where air cargo shipments of reptiles, tropical fish etc. travel. I'm sure you realize when you ship FedEx and UPS overnight the packages go on a plane right? Even those planes that don't carry passengers the cargo area is pressurized and temperature controlled, they don't pick out all the reptile boxes and let them ride up front with the pilot .
And the baggage handlers? Do you have any idea how reptile boxes shipped through fed Ex and UPS are handled? Talk about conveyors. Lol, the baggage handlers would be considered gentle.... Watch this: https://youtu.be/lSZdKK14zgg?t=4m this is exactly how reptile shipments are handled.

Old 01-28-2016, 03:36 PM   #7
AbsoluteApril
I don't think it would be legal.
Call the airline and ask.
Sneaking them in? no. Come on! no.

Easiest thing to do would be to ship the reptiles back to your home from the location where you got them (or maybe the vendor/seller would be willing to do it for you).

Old 01-28-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
WebSlave
Well, then, just do what you want. We'll be watching the news for some story about a person hauled off a plane by TSA for being a "reptile terrorist".

Old 01-28-2016, 04:22 PM   #10
dzoo
Nowhere did I say anything about sneaking them in or doing this without approval? Did I miss something?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!