opinions on lineage website for boa breeders - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #11
allreptiles1966
Thats really what its about Lucille.
I am new and looking to be around a long time.I would like to do my part to help the herp community,especially the boa's and the people who love them like i do.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:02 PM   #12
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
A litter of 30 would be $900 that you could re coupe on the sales of a dna registered baby boa's.
Then when you have to wholesale those hets for ~$15 a pop, how is that beneficial to anyone?

Not trying to rain on your parade because I see what you are saying, but I don't see people getting DNA testing on entire litters. I like that you are thinking outside the box and trying to come up with new ideas!

It really comes down to if you trust the person you are buying from or not. at least in my humble opinion.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:05 PM   #13
allreptiles1966
Then of course they would not get certified and would go in the list of "back yard" breeders.
Its going to be all about quality and genetics.

Old 01-13-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
mxracer4life
I like what your trying to do, but it definitely isn't going to happen over night. Maybe take a poll on it and see what you get as far as support. As far as this helping people not to get scammed, I think the biggest reason we even have scammers out there is people are still willing to go as cheap as possible no matter who it is. If everybody would research before buying, or go by referrals, maybe spend a little extra money to go with a well known seller, we would greatly reduce the amount of scammers out there. Just my thought.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
JCCS
Let's face it, I could lie like hell about what the snake was when I registered it, and you could not prove otherwise. I'll trust someone's word and a bit of research over a piece of paper any day.

Chris

Old 01-13-2012, 06:01 PM   #16
allreptiles1966
Hi Jeremy
It will take a very long time to get this going.I am going to email the people who tried this before and see how they went about it and why they gave up on it.I'm going to need a company to do the dna testing and that itself is proving to be a challenge so far! Being new, i'm not sure how to go about the poll thing.Maybe at a later date.
And yes,using referrals is a great way to go.Thats why the boi is there and a good thing for people to use,but alot of people dont still.
It would be nice to get quality animals from people who could afford to buy from people like Tom and know they are really from his lines..So this would give you that info.
People who have certified Burke lined animals will not be looking to sell dirt cheap,at least i think they wouldn't.But,who knows.
I'll be honest with you,after taking a beating on me not knowing what all jungles look like,and asking for lineage and having issues with that too,i want a way that someone like me can get them and know that they jungles.Just because a person cannot tell what all jungles look like,doesnt meant they cant have them.Or shouldn't
Trust is a hard thing to earn now a days and having real genetic info will help people make even better choices when you cannot buy from the top breeders.
This would make researching a bit quicker and more reliable then the words of some.
And its always nice to claim i have this line or that line from the original Lars Jungles! Would it not?I see it on here when someone is selling a Burke animal. They say,right from Tom himself.
People who are selling top of the line boa babies that came from boa's they bought from top breeders always claim that.
I know my boa's will have lineage as far back as i can.These babies coming will not go back far since i just started with boa's from Outback snakes in Fl.But any babies i keep and use to breed later on will include the grandparents which are the boa's i'm currently breeding.
You will be able to link all my boa's to what ever line they came from,see if they were in-bred or line bred and so on.
It only take a few extra minutes to provide grand parents and great grand parents info when making the photo id.Plus theres always room left on the photo id.For those tha use photo id.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:07 PM   #17
allreptiles1966
Dna will prove almost anything about genetics.This is where i will need help and more learning.
To apply an animal for this program, you will have to submit a dna sample and that will tell alot about the snakes genetics.
Thers alot more i need to do,but you cannot lie about genetics that are on paper.
You could say its a motley het albino,but i think genetics will confirm that or not.

Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
AbsoluteApril
Quote:
Originally Posted by allreptiles1966 View Post
Then of course they would not get certified and would go in the list of "back yard" breeders.
so are you saying anyone that didn't use the registry and get DNA testing is a backyard breeder?

Also, what exactly is the DNA testing supposed to prove? I know it can be used to prove parentage if sheds are provided of the parents and the young (Dr Booth has done this testing to prove parthenogenesis) but I think it's a very new field of research.

Anyways..
since the boa registry is no longer online, I used the wayback machine to get this snapshot for ya so you can see the contact info, not sure if they are even still around..
Attached Images

Old 01-13-2012, 06:15 PM   #19
JCCS
So, the boa genome has been mapped completely, Rich? I'm pretty sure it hasn't and probably won't be for a very long time. They are able to do that stuff for dogs because their genome has been mapped. It appears that you don't know a lot about genetics testing or are trying to apply dog testing to boas. That just doesn't work as there aren't the same resources for boas as there are for dogs.

Chris

Old 01-13-2012, 06:27 PM   #20
allreptiles1966
No April, i would never say that because you dont register a boa you are a back yard breeder.We know that not everyone will want to do this.It just an option to know what your getting.Some back yard breeds have quality animals.
I paid alot of money for my "pr" pit to make sure i was getting quality genetics so i didnt have to run to the vet all the time because of heredity issues with livers,heart and no dam eyes from bad breeding or,bad temperaments from inbreeding.Lol on the eyes,just an albino deal.
If people are breeding albino to albino and getting 1 or no eyes,thats because its too close in genetics.Right? I'm not 100% positive on this..Dont people make f1's and 2's then breed them together to eliminate this issue?
Again,heres where i need to learn a lot more

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!