Triblonotus gracilis Egg!! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Skinks & Tegus Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-09-2003, 03:07 AM   #1
herpspaz
Talking Triblonotus gracilis Egg!!

went to check on my pair of Tribbies today, and to my surprise, there was an EGG! I didn't even realize she was gravid (hadn't really been looking either, just thought she was finally gaining a little more weight!)

I've taken the egg out, placed it in cypress mulch in a tupper ware container, and leaving it on top of the parent's tank where the temps are about 77 F.

I'm curious if anyone knows what the humidity levels should be for incubating these little cuties, and if there is a way of telling whether it is fertile or infertile. (like shining a flashlight through it, etc).

Thanx for the help guys, i'm so excited!

-Karin
Attached Images

Old 12-09-2003, 08:05 PM   #2
crazycorn
Congratulations!! I cant wait to find one myself, I have only limited knowledge on this area though, What I have read says eggs should incubate at 78-80*F but a tad bit lower is ok and put it in some damp not wet or dripping sphagnum moss in a tupperware container and try and keep temps constant I am unsure though of the incubation period fir eggs. Best of luck!

Dave.

Old 12-09-2003, 10:14 PM   #3
herpspaz
Thanks!

i remember reading that incubation time is usually 42-60 days or something around that area...

as for incubation temperatures, right now its at 75, and it's been at 75 all day (it's been colder out today). I think i'm going to let this one have the natural gradient temps. I also read that temps over 81 F can be fatal to the egg.

It's in cypress mulch, and i just sprinkled some water over the mulch to somewhat moisten it. I don't want to over wet it and cause mold...

I can't wait to see the baby!!

-Karin

Old 12-11-2003, 07:18 PM   #4
crazycorn
Two comments:
1. Never directly put water drops on an egg it can be fatal to the egg and cause problems as I have seen for myself try putting in a damp paper towel and lay right above or close to the egg(s).
2. You have done very well on researching it! I give you a gold star! LOL also yes temps pver 80 can be ftal to an egg, I meant put down that as an extreme for the egg and if you do let it stay at room tempeture it might take a little longer for the egg to hatch but its best to be safe and then again you dont want it too cold so 75 might be ok but I do recommend trying to keep it at around 77-78-79*F and dont go over 80*F, again BEST of luck!

Dave.

Old 12-12-2003, 01:11 AM   #5
herpspaz
Thanks Dave!

I didn't sprinkle the water over the egg...do not be worried! I sprinkled it on the cypress mulch around the outside of the tuppeware before i put the egg in the middle.

I had been worried about that, the room temps have been low lately, staying around 75. Think i'll have to move it closer to a heat lamp somewhere...

We shined a small flashlight through the egg today, and we think we saw some veins. it was definately pink, not yellow, so hopefully everything will be good!!

Thanks so much for your help Dave! Hope your little guys surprise you with an egg sometime soon too!

-Karin

Old 12-14-2003, 02:32 PM   #6
crazycorn
I hope so too as I am going to get another hopefuly soon and will wait for eggs with much satisfaction. I would definetly try and get it a bit warmer and all sounds good if it has veins but still its not a gurantee until a little later in incubation. Also try not to left temps fluxtuate too much as that can cause problems too, I have my fingers crossed for you, Karin. If you have more questions let me know and I wll see if I can help.

Old 12-14-2003, 11:31 PM   #7
herpspaz
Thanx very much! i really appreciate it!

temps are fluctuating a lot...between 75-78. (i guess that's not a lot a lot...but enough..)

i guess i'll have to bust out the incubator (i was really hoping not to, i'm all out of outlets in my apartment to plug things into...LoL)

-karin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!